Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Trial Firearm Licence Firearm Safety Programme

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Currently MSC volunteers are still conducting the courses. In the event that MSC get the new contract I beleive many of those volunteers will not be available . Most of us are hanging in there for the people who require licences , not for any sense of duty to MSC.
    That's the certainly the situation in the South Waikato. Although, we resigned from MSC a while back and currently deal with the police direct.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Makes sense and makes for more confident and responsible firearm owners. One doesn't just provide theoretical training on how to operate cars, forklifts, lathes etc.
    How much real practical training will someone get in an hour or two? (Divided by the number of people on the course.)

As the instructors are usually dealing with people with little or no experience with guns, surely any practical training needs to be one on one?

A two hour course with 20 people equals six minutes each. Unless you have more instructors, less students or make people take a longer course.

I think any practical part will be pretty much the same as it is now: How to open the actions of different types of guns and check they are unloaded.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    How much real practical training will someone get in an hour or two? (Divided by the number of people on the course.)

As the instructors are usually dealing with people with little or no experience with guns, surely any practical training needs to be one on one?

A two hour course with 20 people equals six minutes each. Unless you have more instructors, less students or make people take a longer course.

I think any practical part will be pretty much the same as it is now: How to open the actions of different types of guns and check they are unloaded.
    Most initial training prior to Toet training in the Army is only a 30-40 min lesson for a number of students that have never handled a firearm.

Certainly won't have the repetition the military has but I think it is achievable for a base understanding.

In fact I think only the military has the means to deliver the required police training with any consistency and efficiency, but that will never happen.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    kotuku and mawzer308 like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Most initial training prior to Toet training in the Army is only a 30-40 min lesson for a number of students that have never handled a firearm.

Certainly won't have the repetition the military has but I think it is achievable for a base understanding.

In fact I think only the military has the means to deliver the required police training with any consistency and efficiency, but that will never happen.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    I would imagine the army students are all using the exact same type of gun?

That would make things a bit easier?

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post

Certainly a valid point but without the specifics of the training program to hand, it's not possible for me to comment on how they intend achieving it or the standard set to achieve a pass. Interestingly, the practical aspect you mentioned was not covered at all when I sat my licence application which I found surprising.

It suggests that the former training content presented was inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Bring back Cadets and rifles ranges at colleges, just like the good old days, plenty of skills learnt on handling and firing firearms, including pistols and all types of military weapons!! Sitting on the grass pulling them to bits and reassembling!! Oh and nobody died, the TV Aerial at the back of the rang took a hammering with the .22s!!
    No wonder I got hooked early, of course I have rocks in my head for suggesting such things in this PC world today!!
    hell, they are pulling school pools out for H&S reasons, they wont be letting kids near firearms.
    the world has gone mad ! mad i tell you.
    i cant go mad because i am a meat flavoured popsicle !!!
    Deetleaves likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    hell, they are pulling school pools out for H&S reasons, they wont be letting kids near firearms.
    the world has gone mad ! mad i tell you.
    i cant go mad because i am a meat flavoured popsicle !!!
    A company had to send a guy up to McLarens Falls near Tauranga, the other day to erect a sign warning not to swim or take shell fish from the dam, Day after he went back to remove it! 6 hours of pissing around. The tested water was fine!!
    gonetropo likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Simple if you sit your paperwork test and fail you should leave the room immediately and be made to repay another 200$ to re sit because right now you can go in fail and re do it then and there 6 times or more with help
    the system in place right now allows morons to get their A-Cat.
    it should not be that easy, yes 7 simple rules are simple and easy but when you have idiots failing a test constantly and getting help to pass then something has to change in order to get rid of the idiots

Having just got my license, (i shot a reasonable amount as a kid, but not in the last 25 years or so) The "safety" course is a bit of a joke.

I would be a good idea to at least show people how different actions work and how to clear a jam, even just some basic maintenance

As much as I think more training is a good idea, the cost has to stay reasonable.
    Also remember that you don't get your firearms license proper until the AO has supposedly interviewed one of the referees who has a firearms license. I would imagine that it is assumed that the person who has vouched for their integrity and safety probably has done more detailed instruction with more hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    As much as I think more training is a good idea, the cost has to stay reasonable.
    Also remember that you don't get your firearms license proper until the AO has supposedly interviewed one of the referees who has a firearms license. I would imagine that it is assumed that the person who has vouched for their integrity and safety probably has done more detailed instruction with more hands on.
    There is no requirement for a referee to possess a firearm licence.
    Koshogi likes this.