Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Trigger locks are illegal apparently......

Banned
    Not for the average bear though
    veitnamcam likes this.

I'd say I'm the average bear and I knock them down at 100m and beyond. 4-12 scope but. Sometimes it's what you need to get the furry bastards

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    It is sweet on rabbits a little further than that.
    easily
    outlander likes this.

i know as a fact i have killed bunnies at 150m with a single round.
    outlander and dannyb like this.

Banned
    I must be missing out on something then...have to give it a try
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    I must be missing out on something then...have to give it a try
    I have heard that you can use 22 to practice LR shooting at closer ranges. (308 does about 2600-2800 fps where 22 does 1300-1400fps) so your 500m drop on a 308 is similar to 250m drop on a 22. It wont be the same as the momentum of the heavier bullet and BC will affect it, but theory is if you can hit a gong at 1000 metres with a 308, the 400m with a 22 is a similar challenge.

I have pushed a 22LR out to 200 to see and has some success at 150m (I will admit there was some luck involved here as well) but the 22 is capable of hitting things at ocer 500m IF you can work out hold over etc. (From memory hold over for zero at 75m to hit a target at 500 m is something like 50 feet above the target at 500m.....)

Ironically it is apparently easier to get consistency from sub sonic or target ammo, as the 22 going transonic as it slows through the sound barrier causes "wobble".... I saw a youtube video of someone trying this some time back. If I can find it again I will post it.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    I have heard that you can use 22 to practice LR shooting at closer ranges. (308 does about 2600-2800 fps where 22 does 1300-1400fps) so your 500m drop on a 308 is similar to 250m drop on a 22. It wont be the same as the momentum of the heavier bullet and BC will affect it, but theory is if you can hit a gong at 1000 metres with a 308, the 400m with a 22 is a similar challenge.

I have pushed a 22LR out to 200 to see and has some success at 150m (I will admit there was some luck involved here as well) but the 22 is capable of hitting things at ocer 500m IF you can work out hold over etc. (From memory hold over for zero at 75m to hit a target at 500 m is something like 50 feet above the target at 500m.....)

Ironically it is apparently easier to get consistency from sub sonic or target ammo, as the 22 going transonic as it slows through the sound barrier causes "wobble".... I saw a youtube video of someone trying this some time back. If I can find it again I will post it.
    Yeah I shoot CCI SV or Subs, seems to group nicely. At 120m I can hit my 200mm gong every time without an issue. I normally shoot with a bipod though. At that distance I can sometimes 1...2....3 and the group of bunnies never moves.
    outlander likes this.

Banned
    Need good ammo. A rabbit will run off with no appearance of being hit at all. I know this from using crap ammo and finding three some distance away that I thought I had missed.

I started missing comfy shots with my anschutz .22 this morning. Broke another cross hair. Going to have to spend real money on a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Need good ammo. A rabbit will run off with no appearance of being hit at all. I know this from using crap ammo and finding three some distance away that I thought I had missed.

I started missing comfy shots with my anschutz .22 this morning. Broke another crosshair. Going to have to spend real money on a scope.
    I tried Winchester and Remmington before settling on CCI SV's They are cheap, subsonic and group well. And I just have a Simmons 4-12x30 scope. Got it from the US for like $40

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post

I started missing comfy shots with my anschutz .22 this morning. Broke another cross hair. Going to have to spend real money on a scope.
    Try the Nikko Airkings. reasonable price and very good on 22s.They are made for Air guns and believe it or not, springer air rifles are harder on scopes than large centrefires. Air king has lasted me well and still as good as the day I got it.