Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree236Likes

Thread: Want to avoid jail - 900m close to a dwelling

If you shoot and he does report you to the police, and they take his side, I'm afraid it may be lawyers at dawn... something to be avoided. It is expensive and stressful, but more than that, is likely to be a mark against your name when licence renewal time comes - even if you are not guilty.

I would definitely approach local arms officer or other member of the police if you happen to have a good relationship with them, and report your encounter with your neighbour. Then state that you will be doing pest control, taking all reasonable precautions as required by the law. That way, you are far less likely to have a confrontation with the police. I don't know your neighbour, but if it is possible without breaking your relationship further, consider a follow-up conversation and be quite clear that 900m is not a requirement in law, and that you have a duty as a property owner to control pests.
    veitnamcam, Moa Hunter and 2post like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushover View Post
    print off pertinent piece. Hand to neighbour saying arms officer supplied it and would welcome any queries
    I would not print it and give it to him because of what (b) says - endanger, annoy, or frighten any person - he may well use that as the basis for a complaint.

FFS - Some people in this country really are a waste of space. Professional whingers, complainers, and layabouts that contribute nothing to society as they expect society to support them in the style they think is their right............ Keep me off Stuff or I get even worse.

Now - 900metres - nah - as others point out - that is bullshit - The logic is that very, very few farms could then have any shooting on them - as you would then need 1,800 metres between houses. The legislation, as written, is (surprisingly) relatively clear.

When I was very regularly shooting - the .22 couldnt be heard, the .22WMR couldnt be heard far - the only gun at night that caused issues was a 7.62 on fast semi auto - but the neighbours got used to that.

At present my shooting is 5 metres away from my neighbours lounge and they have no idea - best quantify - .22lr subs, silenced in a solid concrete shed.

Now - back to your neighbour - I think if I had an aggressive one like that - the temptation would just overwhelm me to tell him/her/it to get the Fuck out of my sight - particulalry if I had just read the online news for the morning.
    DeloreanDMC1982 likes this.

Old days the legislation mentioned 200 yards from road or boundary. More recent legislation is as quoted above. Pertinent words are as already highlighted "without reasonable excuse". Pest control on your property is a reasonable excuse. Let the Police know in advance for your first session. USE A SUPPRESSOR!!
    Moa Hunter and Mohawk .308 like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    I would not print it and give it to him because of what (b) says - endanger, annoy, or frighten any person - he may well use that as the basis for a complaint.
    fair point.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

All valid points and in no way am I suggesting that the O.P is irresponsible but just play devils advocate here for a second.......

Maybe just maybe the neighbour is justified ?

we don't know the O.P we don't know the location we don't know the other side of the story at all in fact.....

Just saying there are plenty of people out there with F.A.L that are careless and dangerous in the way they handle firearms and do pest control.

I certainly would object to those sort of people shooting anywhere near me or any property I shot on.

just food for thought .....
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    I would say the "resource" that you need to consult is the Police in your local area. After all they are the ones that are going to be called to intervene in the event of you using a firearm.

Cheers
    Phil
    What Phil said.

The fella next door wanted his bull shot, i obliged with my 22 [no silencer] but before i did i phoned the local police to say what i was doing. Local cop said thanks for the heads up.
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I tried to find the specific distance as well but couldn't find it in legislation.
    The reason I tried to find it is Gun control NZ want the distance extended from the existing? distance.
    Their proposed distance, and I cannot recall what it was, maybe the 900 metres, means I would not be able to do rabbit control on my block.
    This despite my nearest neighbour being a long way away.
    They probably just copy+pasted something from another country that does have a specific distance. A bit like how IIRC the greens copied their firearms policy word for word from their Canadian equivalent and ended up referring to things that don't even exist in NZ law.
    timattalon and Dago like this.

Been in a similar situation. Talk to your local cop and explain what you intend to do occasionally, and if they have no issue with it then proceed. Pays to keep in touch with them regularly.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Dago
    Quote Originally Posted by Homesteader_NZ View Post
    Hello all,

I'm considering getting my license and a .22 rifle for pest control (possums & feral goats), stock euthanasia, and off handly mentioned this to my neighbor who rather forcefully told me he would happily call the police if I used it. He claims that law forbids shooting closer than 900m from the nearest dwelling. I've been unable to find a specific range permitted and don't want to fall foul of the law. I've reviewed the Arms Code manual and the Arms Act 1983 but am coming up blank.

Is there a resource that I'm unaware of that has this information or is he just blowing wind? I would like to get my license however can't see the purpose if I'm not allowed to use a rifle on my property.

Many thanks, members!
    The Police will be pissed off when complaints of gunfire by your neighbour turns out to be your nailgun.

Banned
    I have had a neighbour ph Police and report 'Gunfire' nextdoor - twice.
    First time there was a sign on my padlocked gate ' Rifle Range. Do not enter. Live Firing In Progress'
    The Police were happy but made the suggestion that I phone the neighbour each time before using the range - something I do now.

Second time there had been no gunfire for a week and I suggested that perhaps the neigbour was using the Police to harass me. I asked Police what could be done and they said nothing they could do. I visited the local Court and completed the paperwork for a 'Cease and Desist Order' to be heard in the Court. The Police were not keen on this and I suggested that they explain to the neighbour the consequences of their actions should they continue. Problem went away.

Been through all this with our last block & was the reason we brought our "Forever" block of 120 acres,on the old farm of 40 acres we had a numbnut move down from Christchurch who had never lived in the country before & would even film & complain,ring Cops,council et,c etc when l was spraying weeds,let alone shooting rabbits ,possums etc.

Local Arms Officer was actually a good bloke,they deal with this sort of BS regularly & gave good advice in particular as to how to cover your ass from their end, even as he put it if you had a gun hating cop trying to make a name for themselves .

Only engage with the idiot as briefly as you can & avoid any escalation,the AO said some will deliberately try to escalate to get you to lose your licence .

Before you do anything go to your local police station (the ones who will be forced to respond to idiots calls) ,see Local Arms Officer & calmly explain your situation explain how & what you are doing, that the neighbor has made it clear they are likely to complain, give your address, the idiot neighbors address & name .Get the cop you are dealing with details & their "business card" & get the the logged job number.

This will cover your ass when/if the idiot rings the Police & negates any threat to do so they make, the cops will then have it in their system & if the numbnut acts like a idiot when dealing with the cops that also will then be logged .We had no problems with the cops after doing this & in fact they called in occasionally to check the idiot had not been trespassing,making threats etc as it had made itself look like a moron with its dealing with cops.
    Last edited by bunji; 19-03-2021 at 02:15 PM.

Want to avoid jail - 900m close to a dwelling

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Except that the onus would be on him to prove that your intent was to annoy him. Pest control, target practice, recreation are all valid excuses, especially if you can prove that you have taken steps to reduce noise ie suppressed .22 with subsonic and are doing it safely.

I would definitely ring your AO and get his advice though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I have always wondered what the “legal distance” was. Haven’t been able to find anything. We are farming and have a massive wild rabbit problem, elderly neighbours about 300m from home who the last staff didn’t get along with so have been tip toeing around this end of the farm trying to eradicate the pests.
    Like others have said I’d speak to your AO and see what they suggest, we will be doing this also.

If all else fails - especially the current wait to get a licence since you might be waiting over 12months... Alternative - buy a crossbow - no licence required - no noise - short learning curve - perfectly legal as long as you don't shoot towards your neighbors property. They are considered an offensive weapon so you must have reason to have it / use it etc but pest control and target practice cover that so safe use and your neighbor cant do anything about it whilst you wait for your firearms licence.
    dannyb likes this.