Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Arsenal

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree230Likes

Thread: Want to avoid jail - 900m close to a dwelling

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Link to a 2016 forum discussion on this topic, interesting contributions from @Ultimitsu and @Sidney

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....clarity-19562/

The wording of Section 48 of the Arms Act 1983 has not changed since this discussion.
    interestingly, it has changed i think. it was reasomable cause and now reasonable excuse. I think the defence is now easier to invoke.

I just read what i wrote 5 years ago, interesting posts. lol
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Are you by any chance up wind of the moaning whinging cu*ts house? Could be a perfect opportunity to hang a lovely big brass Chinese gong on the fence with an automated big fu*k off hammer (set to go at something small in the morning). Religious significance and all...

Maybe the odd rifle report once in a blue moon isnít that bad...
    If you are up wind, chook shit fertiliser is the go. And of course it is best applied in small amounts weekly for maximum affect(for reasons only you will know and no expert will be able to dispel).
    Steve123 likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

I would also make sure all correspondence is in writing (email,txt etc). To many people lie about what they said these days.
    Overkill is still dead.

What Brakelie said. Be pre-emptive. Also repeat the conversation that you had, with the neighbour. All the commonsense advice re discretion (above) should be followed too. Just unlucky your neighbour thinks this way. Last year I voiced my concerns to my neighbour (3rd conversation with his wife-ever), over a 'proffessional -rabbiter' who was shooting onto my property, and leaving wounded magpies about. I did it after spotting him shooting toward my boundary from an elevated-point, where sheep were grazing behind. I got bollocked, accused of pissing her off with non-stop gunfire, and pretty-much told to piss off ! Despite pointing--out that it was another neighbours dedicated-firing-range (large-bore), on the other side of me ! She then proceeded to move stock, 4 days in a row, as I left for work at 7.30am. The positive thing is, she's 70-ish and cant last too much longer. You can never please people like this, so get all your Ducks lined-up properly first
    Cordite likes this.

I got bailed up by an old hag at my usual bunny spot. She said "thats not a high powered rifle is it??"
    Me: "Err, no its just an air rifle"
    Old hag: "oh thats all right then"

If you learn to fein sincerity you got it made eh.
    10/22, airgun...same thing really haha.

Quote Originally Posted by T.FOYE View Post
    I got bailed up by an old hag at my usual bunny spot. She said "thats not a high powered rifle is it??"
    Me: "Err, no its just an air rifle"
    Old hag: "oh thats all right then"

If you learn to fein sincerity you got it made eh.
    10/22, airgun...same thing really haha.
    While it would be the wrong thing to do I dont think I could help myself....I would have to ask her what a "high powered rifle" is.
    rewa likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Years ago, was shooting clays with a policeman mate in a field surrounded by tall macro hedges on all sides. Nearest house (apart from Mine) 2k. Got a phone call from a chook farmer down the road, saying if I didn't desist, he would call the cops. I was delighted to save him a phone call, and let him converse with an officer straight away. Never had another issue.
    Moa Hunter, rewa and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Growlybear View Post
    Years ago, was shooting clays with a policeman mate in a field surrounded by tall macro hedges on all sides. Nearest house (apart from Mine) 2k. Got a phone call from a chook farmer down the road, saying if I didn't desist, he would call the cops. I was delighted to save him a phone call, and let him converse with an officer straight away. Never had another issue.
    Chooks, some breeds more than others, get worked up by noises, fear is it may affect them laying eggs, etc. It might be your shooting caused a real problem and not just a greenie problem.
    rewa likes this.
    "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Chooks, some breeds more than others, get worked up by noises, fear is it may affect them laying eggs, etc. It might be your shooting caused a real problem and not just a greenie problem.
    It could be that the chooks were closer than the neighbor but IF they were 2km away I doubt the noise would have worried them.
    Cordite and rewa like this.
    ĎMany of my bullets have died in vainí

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    It could be that the chooks were closer than the neighbor but IF they were 2km away I doubt the noise would have worried them.
    They were a good 1.5 ks away, plus the tall,dense hedges really muffled the sound. The chooks were in big sheds, not outside. Was a big hatchery. My wife was in our house 2-300 meters away, and said it was far from noisy.. If he hadn't been an arse about it, I would have been a bit more sympathetic.