Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Why do hunters continue to be accidentally shot?

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Mike ,
    I cannot believe that anybody or infact anything in this country is accidently shot [ except maybe when some dick puts a bullet through the roof or floor of his or his mate truck].
    Everything I have ever shot at has been no accident. I have deliberately pulled the trigger.

People need to think about that, it is not an accident, it was done on purpose.
    Blaser likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Forgive me if this has been over discussed already,

I would like to suggest a move away from the phrase Identify your target beyond all doubt.
    The internal monolouge goes "is that a deer?, it looks like one, yep it's a deer/no it's not a deer."
    The trouble is the whole time we're trying to confirm or exclude an underlying thought of deer. This leads us into a conifirmational bias - wether we think we know better and would never do that, or not.
    A better question would be "is that a person, could it be a person, it could be a person/no way its a deer"
    the confirmation bias then leads us to see more of reasons it could be a person.
    It seems that the people involved in these tragedies did identify their target, but were unfortunately wrong.
    Being wrong when thinking it's a person only leads to an escaped deer.

Only one part of a huge problem I realise, but it seems worthy of (thoughtful) discussion to me.

I brooded a bit on the deceased today as I went south and looked at the Ruahines. The sombre feeling was not dissipated when I came back.A family is no doubt grieving heavily at a loss at only 25 years.
    Pengy likes this.