Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: cutting shotgun down

choppers a bit of a fan of short shotguns, .410 single shot is what he used........

Spanners I reckon shooting from a maimai you cant go past an autoloader, but anything that involves walking, be it upland or jumpshooting ponds, creeks and drains, a nice light double is the go. Chop it El Borracho

Just purchased another side by side in Whangarai last night -didnt even have the barrel length on it but I could see it was a shorty -$200 Spanish gun not to be sneezed at for that price even if not one you would proudly own
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar

cutting shotgun down

My autos weigh less than my doubles - considerably less. Autos never been in a maimai , they've done hundreds of km in my hand while walking the hills of molesworth and surrounding areas shooting high country geese, chukar, quail, rabbits etc

Its a thing of style and tradition the s/s gun unlike the auto wish is a meat machine spanners

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Style and tradition?
    You're turning it into a coach gun, with the excuse of, its too heavy.
    what are you going to do if you shoot somthing? Dump all your ammo on the ground?

haha I thought a more terse comment would come .Everyman to his own style and fit of gun -me I enjoy the tradition look and feel of the side by side and where I have shot its not longer range shooting so a shorter more snappy s/s works well .I have owned u/o and benneli but just simply prefer the old faithful .I wish I hadthe cash to buy something I could admire in the way of s/s but alas as you know I went and spent big on scopes and rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Spanners I reckon shooting from a maimai you cant go past an autoloader, but anything that involves walking, be it upland or jumpshooting ponds, creeks and drains, a nice light double is the go. Chop it El Borracho
    He'll I couldn't be without my auto for quail. How many times do you get that flush where all hell breaks loose , hard to pick a bird out of 15 so it's normally hit one mis one , then the stragglers come out one at a time six more in the extension mag = birds in hand . I'm sure the roosters are different , especially over a pointer doubles would be nice.

No problem carrying my mossy pump around after bunnies. Longer 28inch barrel only a problem jumping in and out of the truck to blast something.

the cheap bestie I just got
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    No problem carrying my mossy pump around after bunnies. Longer 28inch barrel only a problem jumping in and out of the truck to blast something.
    Hey Scottrods, I'm taking the piss here but surely you don't jump in the truck to blast something!
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

El Borracho, is it a Jabali?

Spanners if your auto is lighter than your doubles you have the wrong doubles or the right autos, im not sure which?

Pointer it is a goralsabal -- or something like that -I haven the paper work on it which has the name but it looks to be made in my old stomping ground of Northern Spain in the Basque country .Many gun makers were not more than a few hours from me up there but sadly I didnt have an interest in shotguns all those years ago otherwise I would have been visiting many in the area

I had a boxlock gorosabel briefly - good for the money. Their sidelocks are not too bad, nice one on TM lately went cheap at 1200. Choked nicely too, 1/4 and 1/2