Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Cordite
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Looking for reloading services, lower north island, after 2 3/4 brass shot shells

Looking for reloading services, lower north island, after 2 3/4 brass shot shells

Afternoon team

Looking for someone in the lower north to manufacture some shot shells for my 1887 reproduction

I’m After brass 2 3/4 inch casings loaded with either steel or lead 00 buck and equal amount with 000

I’m happy doing gun work but reloading is not something I fully grasp and would rather leave to someone more qualified than myself.

Happy to fork out what it will cost for materials and labour and your time, and no doubt I’ll be back once they are empty.

I’d love to learn how to do it myself, I’ve had success in the past buying a factory shell loading and using its components in a brass case but it’s slow and the correct gear for the job isnt in the budget.

Obviously not wanting to pay moonbeams, but it costs what it costs.

Gunworks in Chch sell low-power shotshells for older shotguns.

By the way, what does it take to obtain a permit to do reloads commercially for others?
    Micky Duck likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

They are very easy to reload yourself.

https://youtu.be/VI47bl2h0cU

You can just use the plastic hulls if you want.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

I assume you want brass shells as when the crimp opens on a plastic 2 3/4 it can sometimes fail to eject?
    Simple fix is to cut the petals short and roll crimp the plastic cases.
    Also brass cases are actually a bit of a nusance to load std wads don't fit well and sealing them is annoying. Also you get really anal about picking them up and making sure they aren't damaged.
    Get some target products saloon to verify function with roll crimps.
    I also see you want steel buck? Is that even a thing.

for a break open gun...reloading is too simple as can get away with a not so flash crimp and resizing isnt much of an issue..... a piece of dowel and a small pin to push out spent primers is about all you need. if you see a lee whackamole set for .12ga anywhere grab it. slow but dead simple to use.
    Oldbloke likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

just spent half hour watching utube videos on how to reload shotshells using hand tools..... the wee 410 cartridge is devilishly expensive to buy factory loads for ,so there is heaps of how to reload them videos on net.... the .12ga is done the same way and components are cheaper than a cheap thing...you CAN even use home rolled black powder BUT BE AWARE you will need to up your cleaning ideas or gun will corrode very quickly.
    if your gun is a break open type....its childsplay to make functional loads.
    if you did find some metalic cases it would be even easier..see wingmans thread everlasting .410 shells
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Evidently some of the norinco repros will digest 2 3/4 ok.
    I load brass 16 gauge birdshot and solids for a cape gun and 2 1/2 inch roll crimps for an old hollis black powder sxs so it can be easily done.
    My advice is to get in touch with the rod and rifle club in Palmy. Someone there should be able to sort you out.
    Last edited by Marty Henry; 30-12-2022 at 04:01 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Billy has not been back
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y