Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Tedz50
  • 1 Post By Peteforskeet
  • 1 Post By Tedz50

Thread: Slugs with Unique

Slugs with Unique

Hi all, I need some help. Does anyone have load data for 1oz slugs and Unique powder. Thanks

Take a load for 1oz of shot cross out the shot and write slug in it's place. I use 700x with lee 1oz ones, if I use wads I cut the petals off and seat the slug on the remainder and cut the crimp off the shell and then roll crimp to hold it in firm. I also make "shorts" no wad but 2 greased felt wads slug, on top cut and roll crimp. These are 2 inches long and perform the same as above, although I do think their recoil is a little "snappier" than the ones with plastic wads.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Reading Lyman reloading manual I note Unique is not listed but faster powders are with 700x plus a couple of obsolete powders.
    I think Unique is to slow for a large volume case.
    I would suggest AP30 as 700X equivalent.

https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12649

castboolits has a huge amount of information on this sort of stuff...some amazing results by doing small changes....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Name:  348FDEFC-4CBA-4F4D-9558-A8AFBD7EA632.jpeg
Views: 245
Size:  2.95 MBName:  A3F76FE2-8943-4CF6-B7FA-716BA0F2F57E.jpeg
Views: 222
Size:  2.72 MBName:  A3F76FE2-8943-4CF6-B7FA-716BA0F2F57E.jpeg
Views: 222
Size:  2.72 MBName:  348FDEFC-4CBA-4F4D-9558-A8AFBD7EA632.jpeg
Views: 245
Size:  2.95 MBCan’t find anything for 1oz slugs using Unique but found some buckshot loads you might be able to work with, maybe not. Powder SR7625 is approx. equivalent to Unique. Attached photos with info. Name:  1BBC7A2B-02C3-419E-A20B-1CD1263E4616.jpeg
Views: 178
Size:  6.73 MBName:  1BBC7A2B-02C3-419E-A20B-1CD1263E4616.jpeg
Views: 178
Size:  6.73 MB
    Had trouble loading photos so some doubles.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by woods223; 12-01-2023 at 07:11 PM.

Banned
    I would go with a slower powder than 700x because a tight slug could cause more of a pressure spike than a shot load.
    700x melts the crimps on cases so it must be so fast in practice that it burns in the case. Perhaps something with the burn rate of PB. A slower powder likely will give better accuracy if the same effects apply as with rifles

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I would go with a slower powder than 700x because a tight slug could cause more of a pressure spike than a shot load.
    700x melts the crimps on cases so it must be so fast in practice that it burns in the case. Perhaps something with the burn rate of PB. A slower powder likely will give better accuracy if the same effects apply as with rifles
    The following from Ballisticproducts.com.

"Unique's burn rate is to fast for Lee slugs, unless you want reduced loads. There is no data using plastic wads & Lee Key drive slug & Unique powder, that i know of? I worked up some Unique loads with 1 oz Lee
    Key Drive slugs. Acccuracy was poor. Pressure needs to be high enough to expand the slug to the bore."

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load14_04_25.htm
    rupert likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedz50 View Post
    The following from Ballisticproducts.com.

"Unique's burn rate is to fast for Lee slugs, unless you want reduced loads. There is no data using plastic wads & Lee Key drive slug & Unique powder, that i know of? I worked up some Unique loads with 1 oz Lee
    Key Drive slugs. Acccuracy was poor. Pressure needs to be high enough to expand the slug to the bore."

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/load14_04_25.htm
    Ok. I guess I'll be be using AP70N

Peter
    If it's in a plastic wad ,plus having a bridge across the base of the slug how's it ever going to expand to bore size?
    woods223 likes this.

some guys are filling rear cavity with silicon and results are impressive to say the least...huge amount of testing gone on as the guys in states have shotgun only areas and seasons so its a big deal to them.... dont try and reinvent the wheel...go and have a look at what they are doing and duplicate it for yourself.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

@Micky Duck
    I agree with" don't try and reinvent the wheel..' all this has been done before.
    I have a 13 gauge muzzle loader and found the skirts blew out so filled bases with RTV and found they still expand to fit the bore,although the problem could also have been the wad pushing into the hollow base.Either way it cured the problem..
    Also AP70 is Unique by another name.

Name:  P1000223.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  6.91 MB

QUOTE=Peteforskeet;If it's in a plastic wad ,plus having a bridge across the base of the slug how's it ever going to expand to bore size?[/QUOTE]

I have a Gibb 62 calibre rifle and use 20 gauge slugs in a plastic wad. This slug has a solid base but even inside a wad it expands from a loose sliding fit to deeply engrave the rifling on the wad.This is probably due to the fast ignition of black powder which in spite of the wad shortens and expands the projectile.This is one reason I believe a fast powder like 700X is used. If you pick up fired wads they show scouring from the trip down the barrel. The keyes built into the lee slug base help it expand with out collapsing.Just my opinion for what its worth.

Name:  P1000224.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  5.53 MBName:  P1000225.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  5.84 MBName:  P1000226.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  7.85 MBName:  P1000228.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  5.47 MB
    Micky Duck likes this.

from memory unique is better suited for heavier shotshell loads?