Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By omark
  • 1 Post By Wingman

Thread: RIFLE PRIMERS

RIFLE PRIMERS

Hi all. With the primer shortage being what it is and shotshell primers being the worst affected what are the possible problems using rifle primers in shotshells? I punched a shollshell primer out of its sleeve (if that's what its called) and compared that to a rifle primer, overall diameter is the same but there is a .003" difference in height, rifle primer being shorter but still fits snugly in a 209's sleeve. Besides there may be a massive difference in temp I can't see why LR primers wouldn't work in a shotshell? Deprime as normal, punch primer out of sleeve, fit new lr primer into 209 sleeve, re-prime as normal, done. If it can be done and 209 and lr primers have similar temps which lr primer has the same temp as a win 209?

Fiocchi LR primer on left, 209 primer on right(brand unknown)
    Name:  DSCN0159[1].JPG
Views: 372
Size:  113.6 KB
    Name:  DSCN0158[1].JPG
Views: 327
Size:  122.2 KB
    Name:  DSCN0160[1].JPG
Views: 320
Size:  120.8 KB
    Name:  DSCN0161[1].JPG
Views: 335
Size:  119.0 KB

Peter
    One problem is rifle or pistol primers don't have an anvil as used in a shotshell primer,
    Yes they fit in the battery cup and I've tried useing the old anvil that was in the shotshell primer with varying results,

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post
    Hi all. With the primer shortage being what it is and shotshell primers being the worst affected what are the possible problems using rifle primers in shotshells? I punched a shollshell primer out of its sleeve (if that's what its called) and compared that to a rifle primer, overall diameter is the same but there is a .003" difference in height, rifle primer being shorter but still fits snugly in a 209's sleeve. Besides there may be a massive difference in temp I can't see why LR primers wouldn't work in a shotshell? Deprime as normal, punch primer out of sleeve, fit new lr primer into 209 sleeve, re-prime as normal, done. If it can be done and 209 and lr primers have similar temps which lr primer has the same temp as a win 209?

Attachment 213118
    Attachment 213119
    Attachment 213120
    Attachment 213121
    It won’t work because of the anvil. There are heaps of shotgun primers around. I see them all the time in gun stores.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Damn, ok thanks for the input.

I have plenty of 209s, I'll happily trade for LRPs..

I'm pretty sure all of the rifle and pistol primers I've ever used have had anvils in them.

Load one up without powder or shot and give it a go.

Yes but the anvil is designed to be captured and sits against the back surface of the primer pocket so the priming compound is crushed against it once struck by the firing pin. The 209 cups are deeper than a primer pocket in a brass cartridge so the anvil is not against the end of the pocket. firing pin is likely going to just hammer the LRP deeper into the 209 cup or push the primer compound and anvil out the front of the primer into the void and not ignite.
    Savage1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Three O'Three View Post

Attachment 213118
    Attachment 213119
    Attachment 213120
    Attachment 213121
    How many Shot Shell primers do you want?