Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Llewellin Setter breed

Yeah Z I used to hunt from a quad more often than horseback for convenience as do a lot of guys but field trialing from quads isn't practical and horses is obviously the tradition. Given the choice I'd take a horse anyway.

El B- then how would you expect to understand the field trials? The dogs don't run forward, they hunt objectives and run lines

tell us more about hunting objectives and running lines

Sure , but it is quite different to our type of trialing which In my opinion would leave less birds behind as we are more intensive on quartering from what I have viewed of the two types of work -please correct me if I am wrong as I have not attended a live American trial .Its not a knock , its just different and not the way I would enjoy trialing personally
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

I will be interested in the hunting objectives and running lines also RCGSP if you could explain what the running objective are other than the obvious of finding and pointing

I googled this and understand to some degree hunting objectives -ie likely places to find a bird ?

Go to about page 35 and have a read - similar expectations to our trials in general as one would expect

http://www.akc.org/pdfs/rulebooks/RFTPNT.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    tell us more about hunting objectives and running lines
    Particularly when hunting bobwhites, the dogs learn to narrow down their searches to the most likely areas being islands of cover in fields and hedgerows.

They may miss the odd bird in the open but they cover ground much more efficiently and when there's a crap load of ground to run on it means more finds in a day.

Bobwhite country, a bit thicker in the open than normal

You can see the obective and the line behind it the dogs would be expected to run

and for those of you that have never seen hunting weimaraners

i think the way my pointer runs covers ground efficiently, RC do you think the way our dogs here run isnt efficient enuff??

For New Zealand conditions it's plenty efficient and here it's more important to root out every single bird to be successful.

Conditions in the US and the birds species hunted are very different. US bred and trained dogs wouldn't be very successful here and NZ bred and trained dogs wouldn't be very successful in some areas of the US.

There are a lot of different types of birds and terrains in the US so it depends on what they were brought up on as well. My weim, the one in the far right of that pic, is in NZ now. It took her a while to adapt to NZ conditions and she still isn't as thorough as my NZ bred GSP but she was killer on bobwhites in big country.

It's not a better or worse/more efficient or less efficient thing. It's about suitability for the ground being hunted and the ground here and there are very different so the dogs run differently.

Fair enough RCGSP , I suppose at the end of the day its about man and dog and if they have understood and practiced the discipline expected for whatever type of trial they are involved in as there is more than one type of field trial

Quote Originally Posted by RCGSP View Post
    Ever been quail hunting in the US or been to an American field trial?
    I never hunted quail in North America but have followed the ruffies and the woodcock...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    I never hunted quail in North America but have followed the ruffies and the woodcock...
    Heaps of fun but completely different than quail. There are separate grouse trials including the endurance trials.

RCGSP HOW re the Grouse trials over there ? Are they in woodland cover.Are you in the Auckland area RCGSP?
    Last edited by el borracho; 20-08-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Yes the grouse trials are in the mountains in the forests.

There's some pictures here
    Endurance - Field Trials Articles : Strideaway

Yeah I'm in AKL at the moment