Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: QC, Rough Shooters and Natural Game Trials

Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    in a trial format -just hunting farmland with multiple areas of cover with pigeon release traps,dead fur retrieve and feather over water retrieve
    In the old country, rough shooting is the opposite to shooting on either walked up or driven game as in a preserve...we the roughshooters of the world, walk for miles behind the dog in search of the gamebirds. Trialing is not rough shooting in the true sense. The reward for roughshooting is that glorious scent escaping from the oven when a nice brace of quail, macerated in gin and sprinkled over with crushed juniper berries embraces all the senses. The reward for game trialing is a title challenge point or a certificate of merit...or simply being with a group of like minded persons and their dogs.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

HF1
    OK - you don't need to be a member of the clubs to enter but should you win you wouldn't be allowed to take the trophy home. Most Rough Shooters trials incorporate a clay shoot which counts towards your score. If you don't shoot you can use the aggregate.

The Rough Shooters trial format is that you have been out shooting the previous night but may not have picked up everything you shot so your dog is out to find the dead game that was missed.

The QC is judged on how your dog works according to the expectations for its breed.

As for the 'fun' apsect - well, some people take it very seriously and some go out to give their dogs a run and enjoy the social aspect. I go out to give my dogs the chance to do what they were bred to do since I am not (lack of opportunity) a hunter/shooter.

It's great when you get placed and can be frustrating when your dog doesn't run as well as you know it can.

You don't have to be a hunter/shooter to field trial but it gives the dogs the chance to work rather than sitting in their runs for most of the year and only get out working for a few days each year.

Up to the championship level (novice, limit, open) I believe you can use any dog regardless of whether it is a cross breed or unregistered pedigree. It's only once you to get to the championship level that you need a registered pedigree. And there a lot of people who have been doing this for years who have never made up a champion in field trials. Unlike breed shows the dogs have to show they are capable of doing the work rather than just look pretty.

Anyway, that's my understanding of field trials.

All I can say is to come along and judge for yourself.

HF1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    All trials have good and bad things. One thing is sure: a trial is the only possibility to compare dogs from diffrent handlers/owners , on the same ground, in the approx same conditions, weather, etc.......
    I will be the first to say that there are negative points, but so be it.
    Hales, you are so right! I have a great young dog but with a handler/trainer who was more experienced..............................

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    In the old country, rough shooting is the opposite to shooting on either walked up or driven game as in a preserve...we the roughshooters of the world, walk for miles behind the dog in search of the gamebirds. Trialing is not rough shooting in the true sense. The reward for roughshooting is that glorious scent escaping from the oven when a nice brace of quail, macerated in gin and sprinkled over with crushed juniper berries embraces all the senses. The reward for game trialing is a title challenge point or a certificate of merit...or simply being with a group of like minded persons and their dogs.
    please note in red the point emphasized
    in a trial format -just hunting farmland with multiple areas of cover with pigeon release traps,dead fur retrieve and feather over water retrieve
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

HF1
    straight P&S trials don't do fur or water retrieve and the dogs run bigger
    The pointers and setters in trials are not meant to retrieve as a general rule although that is part of the requirement in PS trials. Their main purpose as`a breed is to hunt then point/set for the gun to shoot and the retriever to retrieve.

From my understanding the British had different dogs to do different things and the Labs etc got the retrieve job after the pointers, setters, spaniels had done their thing. The PS people also don't work their dogs on fur. That's for the HPR dogs who should work on fur, feather and hair whereas the pointers and setters seem to be primarily feather and hunting fur isn't encouraged - read Leon Mortensen's book.

I'm sure one of the old timers will correct me but the original rough shooters trials were a precursor to versatile trials set up by a GSP guy. Basically a P&S course with a water retrieve. A certain doctor and his setters kept winning it, then it became a 'rough shooting' trial with fur to to keep the wingshooting purists out

well spotted point ,Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    I'm sure one of the old timers will correct me but the original rough shooters trials were a precursor to versatile trials set up by a GSP guy. Basically a P&S course with a water retrieve. A certain doctor and his setters kept winning it, then it became a 'rough shooting' trial with fur to to keep the wingshooting purists out
    It's a pattern, instead of raising the dog to meet the game, drop the game to meet your dog,. has happened in trials for a long time... the good doctor was ahead of his time.

Im sure Leon still won even with fur introduced but had to revtrain his dog as it started to point fur

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    Im sure Leon still won even with fur introduced but had to revtrain his dog as it started to point fur
    Bet a lot of versatile guys couldn't get their head around that!

So how many of your smiling faces will I see at the QC this weekend?

You running the better halfs Irish cuz

I got double booked sadly with Harry Hoover sniper shoot -cleaned it up last year but am goi9ng to get canned this year with all stuffed barrels . Im entering what ever else I can this year providing its above Taupo to the far North

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth uplander View Post
    You running the better halfs Irish cuz
    Yeah, taking the red rocket out for a burn

be good to finally meet you at some stage El B, always good to meet faces behind names. You doing the live game ones in TPO?

Yes Jim , I am going to do them for sure -work deponent of course with my work -its a prick to get business at the moment so I am a slave to the pressure but I would very much like to attend .I need to get my dog into some good ground and Taupo sound fricken awesome mate .its a bugger I cant come to the QC trial but pre paid this shooting some time back and it only happens once a year .Always good to meet a keen dog man Jim

I'll be there. I may be running a dog if I can get her to turn before she hits the coast.