Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Conceding defeat...

What I do appreciate about your thoughts, BH, is that you are being honest. As ebf said a dog is a huge commitment. Go with your feelings on this one. I am sure a dog will present itself to you one way or another and it will be right.
    The ten commandments left one of the most important bits out for a GUNDOG...give me land lots of land, a maimai in the early morning, a rooster to flush, a quail or two to bring to hand...
    Dougie and Bavarian_Hunter like this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

EBs you should send him one!
    EeeBees likes this.

Ejected
    If you only use it for deer there is heaps of options.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    If you only use it for deer there is heaps of options.
    what do you mean by that?

Ejected
    I've got foxy crosses that find deer, first cross springer foxys that find them, whippets have one hell of a nose.

If you can wait a bit I've got a bitch here due for rooting at xmas, my top bitch in fact. A god damn machine of a dog. I don't know what breed she's got in her but the vet said there is definitely visla in there, maybe a bit of lab and who knows what else. Putting a whippet over her, unforchantly not my one as the dicks I got him off got him chopped

wirehunt what does your bitch look like? could you post a pic up

BH one of the best deer and alround hunting dogs I have ever see was a lab. His owner hasn't replaced him as he thinks no other dog will ever be as good. If you make sure the parents are hunters there should be no problems Cheers Ackley

Ejected
    Her on the left.

Name:  20121219_134647.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  352.7 KB

Ejected
    Name:  2012-07-25 05-25-14_0030.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  1.00 MB
    Toby likes this.

ebf
    Good looking mutt you got there WH, big fan of crosses (ridgeback/boerboel, vizsla/lab, foxy/jack, gsd/Doberman)

Foxy looks like a machine too
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Cheers WH but it gets pretty pricey having one shipped here.

Yeh thanks Ackley - I figure, if they can be guide dogs, bomb and drug detectors and police dogs how hard could teaching them to find deer be? The trouble is finding a good hunting line. I had a look at dogzonline and there is only a couple who breed hunters.

Wirehunt, would be great to hear / learn more about your use of Ferrits on rabbits!! Has always fascinated me!

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian_Hunter View Post
    Cheers WH but it gets pretty pricey having one shipped here.

Yeh thanks Ackley - I figure, if they can be guide dogs, bomb and drug detectors and police dogs how hard could teaching them to find deer be? The trouble is finding a good hunting line. I had a look at dogzonline and there is only a couple who breed hunters.
    Thoughts on going with the same kennel as your brother? No better way to know the calibre of a dog than to hunt with it. If you like your bro's dog, and they have a litter coming up, could cut out a bit of the gamble with going with a kennel that you haven't had as much experience with.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by phillipgr View Post
    Thoughts on going with the same kennel as your brother? No better way to know the calibre of a dog than to hunt with it. If you like your bro's dog, and they have a litter coming up, could cut out a bit of the gamble with going with a kennel that you haven't had as much experience with.
    that has been a consideration and was the original plan, but I'm all about principle and think it's crap if I try to repeatedly contact someone to get no response back. At the end of the day I would love to have a dog tomorrow but I'll wait another 12 months if I have to to get the right one.
    phillipgr and Gibo like this.