Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Cop rice dog food

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    We order off them every 3 weeks. If ya want you can try the mutt on what we use , will give ya a couple kg to try if you want
    We are currently feeding this one
    Addiction Le Lamb NZ Grain Free Dry Dog Food as our dogs seem to do better with out the Grain in the food. Delivery is free too
    That is better than I eat
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Gidday Dougie, tried a bag of coprice once, only once leaned our dogs right out. Also be careful with venny and goat, those will lean a dog out too
    EeeBees likes this.

I tried the royal canin endurance. That packs on the weight like no ones business because it is so calorie dense, but it is also expensive. I stopped using it as it made my dog itchy. Really itchy. If you want to increase the calorie intake for a dog that doesn't eat much drizzle a little bit of flaxseed oil on the food they do get. It will increase the calorie intake and also the essential fats are good for them. You can get flaxseed oil cheaper from farmlands or the likes instead of the supermarket.
    Wirehunt, chrome, Dougie and 1 others like this.

Endurance 4800 / High Performance Nutrition / Dog Products / Products / Products / Home - Royal Canin

The best possible. Has 30% fat in it. Have tried it on many dogs, never had a problem with it. After feeding about 12kg you start seeing the diffrence.

Where ya been smut?

Been using royal canin for a year or so now, won't go back. Use the endurance blend during the season then wean off it to the regular mix out of season. All of this is supplemented with lots of butchers trim and brisket
    mikee likes this.

I know it's been a while. I regulary give this forum a quick look, but it's some time now since I posted something. In fact I got on this forum as I started getting intrested in rifles and deer hunting. I was not aware of pheasant hunting and gundogs in NZ. I discovered many things here. Certainly that you live in paradise for hunting. Compared to the overcrowded area/country where I live, the diffrence is huge.

The RC Endurance is very good. It might be to rich for some dogs, but most are fine on it. That is the case for most brands or food types. When I have a dog which is hard to get into proper condition, I'll put him on 4800. We get 20 kg breeder bags. Mostly after about 60% of the bag the dog starts changing and by the time the bag is empty, the dog is fine. It's expensive, I know.
    At the present I feed a dutch food wich is not bad. They have a nice and affordable puppyfood 32/20 wich is OK. I also feed this to the bitches I plan to breed and all other dogs that might need some extra energy.
    When a dog is realy to thin it's 1 bag of RC 4800 ( 32/30) and then I change to the puppyfood ( 32/20 ).

@ $130 a bag currently at our vets it's a lot cheaper than most brands....but I think it retails around the $150-160 mark
    we have now done a few litters on the puppy mix and think we will stick with it, we provide a 4kg bag with our pups when they leave here and a discount voucher for the next bag, so we are happy the pups can stay on a decent dry feed.

Yep the puppy stuff is very good and economical as a result of it. I blame Te ferrari for putting me onto it

I used to use the Royal Canin Endurance 4800 also. They put weight when eating that stuff that's for sure. Only I had to stop as there as there must have been something in it that didn't agree with him because he would scratch himself raw while on it.

yeah you already said that........were you adding the flax seed oil on it too, the food is already rich in oil.
    I guess the odd dog will not do well on it but then that dog may have something wrong and react to a few types of dry food.
    for a dog in need of weight gain I think it is one of the better ones.

It would seem I'm getting forgetful in my old age and repeating myself

Tried a few different brands recommended by breeders and vets when I got my 2 GWP's pups.
    All made my dogs vomit and have the runs, and they struggled to gain healthy weight while growing.
    A greyhound racer gave me some Coprice working dog feed to try when they were about 1yr old and my mutts had no issues. So I have continued to give them it.
    I go through a 25kg bag approx every 3 1/2 weeks. They are very energetic and need the extra energy in their food.
    They're now nearly 4yrs old. Possibly slightly heavier than they should be but still healthy. Vet always comments how good they look.
    I only give them 3 small cups a day. 1 in the morning and 2 at night. But when I give them any leftovers or other supplemental food I knock the dry stuff back.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    as our dogs seem to do better with out the Grain in the food. Delivery is free too
    Dogs are no chicken. Cheap foods mostly have cereal products as the main ingrediënt. Quality, more expensive foods mosty have animal products as main ingredients. I agree that price also is a factor. Once you have to feed 4/5/10 adult dogs the very expensive dry food is just not possible.
    Quality of the food is best judged behind the dog. With some cheap foods, more comes out than goes in. With quality food there is very little waste (droppings) .

Yep at 4-6 dogs straight royal canin isn't an option. Luckily I have a good supermarket butcher nearby who gives me trim and expired stock at $1.50 a kg which spreads out the dry food nicely. That plus royal canin means I feed 5 dogs at 15 dollars a week on average
    mikee likes this.

we get it at the breeders rate delivered to our door, in the off season we use a different feed, 50/50 with raw.