Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By longshot
  • 2 Post By Andygr
  • 1 Post By longshot
  • 6 Post By longshot
  • 1 Post By rugerman

Thread: Dogs in the snow

Dogs in the snow

I have a regular dog sit that will be happening again on sunday. Dog is a young (~18months) RetrieverXHuntaway with a course coat. Our plan for that day is to head up to the snow in the Tararua range and take the dog with us. Weather forecast has wind chill at -5deg. Snow is down to about 400m at the moment but it usually isn't too bad below the bushline. Based on previous trips in these conditions, time above the bushline will be about an hour each way with a stop at the hut where we will turn around.

I am going to take him to get some dog boots and a dog coat tomorrow afternoon, but never having taken a dog out in the snow, is there anything else I should consider in regards to the whole exercise?.

Dog in question loves the water, but I have noticed over the last few months he does get a bit shivery with extended visits to the river and seems to 'not see' the sticks that he has to swim for, even though during the warmer months, he is very good at seeing them.

I might be being a bit over cautious, but this dog isn't actually my dog, and at any rate, I wouldn't want any dog coming to grief from being pushed beyond the limit in the snow and this is one where it's easier to ask the question first rather than deal with the fall out after.

the only time over the years we have ever seen an issue with a dog in the snow....and Ive had many dogs in much snow many times...was a wee foxy up hook bush chaseing roos...we couldnt work out what was going on on way back down hill,dog was just about walking on front paws..poor wee huas nuts were blue!!! my big black bitches actually love being in the snow as they can cool down
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Thanks Micky. That gives me a bit more confidence. I think old mate is going to enjoy his trip with favorite uncle tomorrow.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Has he worn dog boots before ? It's usually quite funny watching the dog walking around the first time they have them on, take photos.
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Andygr View Post
    Has he worn dog boots before ? It's usually quite funny watching the dog walking around the first time they have them on, take photos.
    No this would have been his first time, despite the shop listing XL as in stock, they weren't in stock, so we didn't end up getting any dog boots. But he is now fitted out with an outback dog coat. I was thinking it would probably be a funny thing to see the boots on for the first time. This dog is a really cruisy dog though and there is every chance he would have just taken it in his stride.
    rugerman likes this.

Yup, that would be right. we expect an amusing show and he behaves like he does it every day.
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle

Is it just a day trip?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I would think it would be a hoot when he has the boots on for the first time
    Dependent on how long he is going to be walking on the snow would depend on if he needs boots I would think. If you take him without them check his feet regularly to make sure there is no damage occurring ( he may not show any signs of pain but damage may still be happening since animals hide their pain).
    Maybe take a small neoprene or insulated mat he can stand on when you stop for a rest

Quote Originally Posted by Fat belly Dog View Post
    Is it just a day trip?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Yeah it was just a walk up to the snow and back for the dog to see some snow. He loved it, especially jumping into and sliding in the fresh drifts.

Name:  IMG_4118.jpeg
Views: 97
Size:  305.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4117.jpeg
Views: 97
Size:  302.1 KB

lol he looks like a real character

A few years ago when it snowed in Palmy and the surrounding areas my dog and sheep didn't know what the hell was going on. Was quite a novelty
    Micky Duck likes this.