Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Found dog...Kaimai's

Ha ha mine are on my bed where they live at this time of the year.

If I think about the general condition of my mates’ pig dogs, and these are serious fellas, their dogs are run very lean and have extraordinary stamina. Proper long-distance finders. So if I compare their dogs to this dog he probably doesn’t look that lean.

Interesting that he is not interested in your pigs. A good pig dog raised and trained properly on a farm should not bat an eyelid at domestic pigs, but a great many pig dogs are not raised on farms and don’t know the difference! If a tiddly piglet isn’t giving him a rark up then he’s either very well trained, or he’s not a hunter at all and just has a low prey drive.

Do you do Facebook? I don’t but my wife does and that’s how we were reached. If I remember correctly The last couple of lost dogs went into the Waihi Community Grapevine and it only took a few hours. Te Aroha probably has something similar.
    rugerman likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Ha ha mine are on my bed where they live at this time of the year.

If I think about the general condition of my mates’ pig dogs, and these are serious fellas, their dogs are run very lean and have extraordinary stamina. Proper long-distance finders. So if I compare their dogs to this dog he probably doesn’t look that lean.

Interesting that he is not interested in your pigs. A good pig dog raised and trained properly on a farm should not bat an eyelid at domestic pigs, but a great many pig dogs are not raised on farms and don’t know the difference! If a tiddly piglet isn’t giving him a rark up then he’s either very well trained, or he’s not a hunter at all and just has a low prey drive.

Do you do Facebook? I don’t but my wife does and that’s how we were reached. If I remember correctly The last couple of lost dogs went into the Waihi Community Grapevine and it only took a few hours. Te Aroha probably has something similar.
    On the off chance he is not a hunting dog I have put a notice up on an off road facebook page, they are shockers for leaving their dogs behind but they also get asked by people looking for dogs to keep an eye out...early days.
    tetawa, rugerman and Flyblown like this.

Looking for a home for Jacob (grand daughter named him), I have had him since mid June and posted on quite a few sites with no response...good with people including kids (1), nothing nasty about him, chains or kennels, ok with the chooks, turkeys and horses and other dogs...kills pigs, 2 weaners so far and quite keen to mix it with the boar...he is just vegetating on the chain, needs some work.

Name:  IMG_3426.JPG
Views: 263
Size:  601.9 KB
    rugerman, bully and Shamus_ like this.

good on you for looking after him mate - his first pic's looked very sad - looks much better above, legend!
    rugerman likes this.

Yup I’ll take him @DavidGunn, Jacob will join a team of top dogs for some training then go to a young shepherd. PM sent.
    jakewire, rugerman, bully and 4 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Great news, good on you Flyblown

He doesn't look much different to a dog that used to visit me by leaping over the 6 foot fence like it aint no thang
    Name:  guestmutt.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  972.1 KB

The dog will get a good life, he'll join the team the young fella (16) is putting together to clean out paddock pigs, mostly small weaner pigs and yearlings that cause so much damage. So easy going, nothing too strenuous, busy but not too hardcore. First he'll undertake basic training, and be sheep / goat / deer proofed, and zapped anytime he's inclined to chase past the bushline. Once he's mastered basics, he'll be onto the payroll properly.

Generally speaking, only pups bred through the boss's lines make it onto the A Team, chasing the nasty bastards in the bush.
    rugerman and Dublin like this.
    Just...say...the...word