Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: GSP fainting

I believe this is all about diet...the dog needs natural fat and REAL meat...I always condition my dogs before the bird season, which includes a can of sardines and two eggs a week...all the dry feed that is fed today has alot to answer to, in my opinion. I just so love the quotation on dog food bags...SCIENTIFICALLY FORMULATED...the dog does not need science, he needs his natural food, meat and fat to sustain him through a working day...
    ONYVA and Micky Duck like this.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by GSP View Post
    I had a GSP that had low blood sugar fits. Vet had to take blood at right time to find that out, I think it was first thing am before eating or just when she'd had one - so long ago can't remember. You can give them barley sugar or a sweet but that wears off quick so something that will last them a few hours, sort of slow release, is of more help. I just carried something to for her eat during the hunts and gave her a snack now and then. They come out of it like nothing happened.
    Also knew a Vizsla that had this too. It was not well researched though we tried to find out as much as we could, don't know if it is yet.
    Thanks I'm going to give this a crack this weekend as well as going to Massey...

Sent from my HP Slate7 Extreme using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    I believe this is all about diet...the dog needs natural fat and REAL meat...I always condition my dogs before the bird season, which includes a can of sardines and two eggs a week...all the dry feed that is fed today has alot to answer to, in my opinion. I just so love the quotation on dog food bags...SCIENTIFICALLY FORMULATED...the dog does not need science, he needs his natural food, meat and fat to sustain him through a working day...
    So what do you feed your dogs?

Sent from my HP Slate7 Extreme using Tapatalk

what do you feed yours ?
    dry ? if so what brands/brands

Purina dog chow I think. Green bag from farmlands. Judy in the process of moving to tux energy kibble because he isn't keeping condition on during pheasant season. He had done this a few times over the last year but I have put it down to not being acclimatised to the warm weather up here

it's shit mate and the tux is no better.
    do your dog a favour and spend a little more and buy a better brand and mix it up with meat before spending any more on vets.
    top up with some frozen mighty mix or some fish if you can't get some fatty mutton or chicken frames.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    it's shit mate and the tux is no better.
    do your dog a favour and spend a little more and buy a better brand and mix it up with meat before spending any more on vets.
    top up with some frozen mighty mix or some fish if you can't get some fatty mutton or chicken frames.
    Cost isn't an issue it's more availability. They sell different stuff up here...

Have tried him on mighty mix and he lost condition...

GSP
    Mighty Mix frozen dog shouldn't lose condition, that's good stuff. Mind you have changed ownership so who knows if recipe the same? I have heard the dry not so good. Also Wholesale Petfoods they have Taste of the Wild at reasonable price for high quality dog food. I got a bag of that for mine as hard to keep weight on, it worked a treat. Also Arcana and Orijen have very good write ups. I suggest you purchase a bag of one of these and try the dog on them. They are expensive but with 1 dog shouldn't work out too costly for you.

mate with the fitting gwp switched to eukanuba to fix the problem.
    most good brands like proplan, eukanuba and science diet can be found at the vets or even RDI, just shop around.
    we feed a standard mix 50/50 with raw in the off season but i use the high end stuff when dogs are working or pups/ whelping bitches etc.
    trying a non grain type from aussie used in the greyhound industry and have used that endurance stuff from them too which was pretty good and $50 per 20kg bag. pick up.

Thanks guys will see what I can find

Do not feed him immediately before getting to work in the bush - big no no. I read an article in a pig hunting magazine where a guy had trouble with one of his dogs getting all dopey and wobbly in the bush and it was fully solved by abandoning the pre hunt scoop of tucker. Funny as you think you are doing them a favour by putting some fuel in their bellies but this apparently causes blood sugar spikes which ends in a big "low". In extreme cases the dogs can become unconscious or need to be carried.

I have a GWP, and switched her to Mighty Mix after getting sick of the rubbish I had her on (Nutriplus or something nasty).
    Had a week of her getting used to it, but I swear by the stuff now.

Good condition, hell, even the waste looks better! Tiptop stuff.

Let's just be clear I dont buy the good I do for price or whatever, I base it on condition of the dog and the stuff he has been on has been fine on the whole until pheasant season has come along. His condition dips a bit right after the weekend but he is looking good again by Friday... The current desire for change is to help his recovery as he is getting old...
    What I hadn't realised, being new to pheasant hunting, is the big step up in work rate over deer hunting, and how this big effort may effect him. So thanks for all the advice, I'll give the diet things a crack and hope that is the cause...

Heat is the total opposite for him up here Tim, he hasn't been cold when hunting yet, quite the opposite, I think over heating maybe contributing to it in some way... It only happens when he has been hunting full tit for hours...

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    But just feed Royal Canin. I absolutely swear by the stuff. I feed it exclusively and supplement a little bit with cream, egg yolk and fish oil blended up when they are moulting. I really keep the Royal Canin biscuits their main food and keep it monotonous because otherwise they lose their high gloss and develop a smell.
    We switched Loch to Royal Canin when he lost all that condition last year and was really showing his age and he's come right
    Grim and Pointer like this.