Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By Chur Bay
  • 1 Post By gsp follower
  • 2 Post By keneff
  • 1 Post By TeRei
  • 4 Post By tetawa
  • 4 Post By kawhia
  • 4 Post By Got-ya

Thread: How many dogs don't make it

How many dogs don't make it

Just curious how many dogs out there don't make it as a big game dog or duck dog. Not always due to there own fault from lack of training or game. Also the dogs that just don't want to work, track, retrieve . plus the dog that you can't hunt with because of the winning/winge

I think it comes down to a lack of perseverance on the part of the owner. My dog is still a work in progress but he is getting better. I've put too much time into him to give up now. Its like the pantene ad. "it wont happen overnight but it will happen".
    keneff likes this.

one simple word townies
    tho they don't seem to be as gullible as they used to be
    re a top class pig dog but a failed birder
    or the old ''he,d be a champion with a new owner''
    Danny likes this.

My first real hunting dog i got when she was 9months ( not a pup any way) she was a collie x pointer, beautiful looking dog. good around stock, kids and good dog to have around the house. Didn't care about gun shot. but had a bad winge so bad, try alot of things but nothing changed. Ended up re homing her to a active family home. My hunting mate had other idea's

My Alaskan Malamutes use to get all het up and winge. They knew my guns better than I did and whether it was rabbits, or roos on the menu. Had to fight my mate for the roo if I shot one. Was useless at anything except indicating or trying to pinch my meat. Told him he was a cunt of a thing but he was okay with that.
    rugerman and A330driver like this.
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

Due to pick up a new EP pup from Jim Simpson in Te Puke who breeds hunting dogs not show dogs. Interesting advice.
    mikee likes this.

Probably a bit like humans, everyone won't be an All black , test cricketer, or a "gun" hunter, the big thing is not to take it out on the dog because the grade hasn't been met. Some aren't going to make it to the required standard.

The biggest down fall of any hunting dog is the owner, lack of training skills,lack of time, lack of interest once the cute puppy stage is over and lack of game when the pup needs it.
    There is also the lack of ability on the dogs part, you can boot it out of them but you can’t boot it into them springs to mind.

@kawhia as a more professional breeder you must see this more, when you know the pup has hunting drive and has potential yet the owner doesn't do there part.
    I just sold a litter of pups i know they want be your cup off tea. All went to great homes, some active family homes and other family/hunting homes and keeped a pup for myself.
    So it got me thinking how many don't make it as hunters.
    There seem to be a greater number of hunters wanting dogs for deer know. Twenty years ago bugger all hunters used dogs for deer.

When you consider the drop out rate for working farm dogs, even those from very good lines is north of 30%. Surely it is not realistic to expect gundogs to be any different. I think that because its a recreational pastime too many people do not have as high performance expectations or if they do for a lot of households by the time they have worked out that that their mutt will end up average at best it is to late, its become a loved member of the house hold.
    All this is assuming a suitable amount of time and effort has being put into the dog. I have seen dogs that have literally had to be taught to fetch with absolutely no hunting drive turn into very competent gundogs but the time put in was huge. I admit that I would have given it up as a bad job and rehomed.
    tetawa, Steve123, bigbear and 1 others like this.

take it from me you,l soon find out how many birds you wont recover if you dont have even a reasonable dog.
    im not going thru the next season with out one that's for bloody sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    When you consider the drop out rate for working farm dogs, even those from very good lines is north of 30%. Surely it is not realistic to expect gundogs to be any different. I think that because its a recreational pastime too many people do not have as high performance expectations or if they do for a lot of households by the time they have worked out that that their mutt will end up average at best it is to late, its become a loved member of the house hold.
    All this is assuming a suitable amount of time and effort has being put into the dog. I have seen dogs that have literally had to be taught to fetch with absolutely no hunting drive turn into very competent gundogs but the time put in was huge. I admit that I would have given it up as a bad job and rehomed.
    Under the German system we breed under the results are pretty consistent, you will find lines that breed above the norm and plenty that breed to a good average, but all will be serviceable hunting dogs, the training culture is a lot stronger though.

Well, no one has mentioned the most pivotal aspect of dog breeding ... GENETICS ...
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...