Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Non hunting breeds out there hunting

Both the staffs and grey hounds are hunting breeds though......rats and hares

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    Both the staffs and grey hounds are hunting breeds though......rats and hares
    English staffordshire was originally bred for "Bear Baiting" because they have that "never give up" attitude they somehow found it entertaining to throw them in a cage with a bear and watch them duke it out to the end..

I used to take my Alaskan Malamutes out with me when we got the call from local farmers who got cull permits to thin out some roos. They were good indicators but with a strong prey drive they wanted to chase - and the old fellow was a bastard for claiming anything dead as HIS. Just about had to fight him for anything I wanted to take home mostly for dog tucker anyway. They loved fresh roo, and I got to like it too. Really nice lean meat
    Tommy likes this.
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    English staffordshire was originally bred for "Bear Baiting" because they have that "never give up" attitude they somehow found it entertaining to throw them in a cage with a bear and watch them duke it out to the end..
    Sounds like a great story on paper, but in the real world the breed was a direct cross between a bull dog and a terrier...bull and terrier.
    Used in the rat pits which came about after animal baiting was banned, and them poms needed something else to bet on.
    gonetropo likes this.

Had to ban all the fun sports didn't they?

mines english bull x dogo argentina, he was bred as a pig hunter but had no inclination. so was starved etc till we rescued him. since i fed him rabbit meat to build him off from a underweight 17kg to his current 35 he thinks of wild bunnies as food. he will not "go for" any other animal and has a weird trait of liking bichons and poodles as the first dog he was socialized was a bichon. the look of horror on bichon owners as he runs up at the dog park is legendary. even worse was the look from them when he came back covered in blood n guts after catching a rabbit. i swear the grannies just about had a heart attack till they saw there woolly dogs again.
    Tommy, Ryan_Songhurst and berg243 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    Sounds like a great story on paper, but in the real world the breed was a direct cross between a bull dog and a terrier...bull and terrier.
    Used in the rat pits which came about after animal baiting was banned, and them poms needed something else to bet on.
    I thought bulldogs and bull terriers were bred to bait bulls.

Name:  cfba3a880cd80e54d910c4dde232b4.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  32.9 KB
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by keneff View Post
    I used to take my Alaskan Malamutes out with me when we got the call from local farmers who got cull permits to thin out some roos. They were good indicators but with a strong prey drive they wanted to chase - and the old fellow was a bastard for claiming anything dead as HIS. Just about had to fight him for anything I wanted to take home mostly for dog tucker anyway. They loved fresh roo, and I got to like it too. Really nice lean meat
    Wouldn't they over heat in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I have a staffy also, its funny because a lot of people will tell you that staffys and other bull breeds are not good swimmers and wont like deep water as they have too much muscle and not enough fat and sink like stones, but mine loves the water, I wouldnt call him a strong swimmer but he enters the water himself and will swim quite happily.
    As far as hunting goes hes not that good... took him out with a mates very good finder/bailers one weekend and all he managed to do was teach my mates dogs to bail possums up trees... mate wasnt happy at all haha.
    Our staffy died in the water, used to swim with us every day in summer, even dived under for sticks and rocks. Had a heart attack in a deep pool in Waimana while chasing something think it was a trout...was over 14yo

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Poodles might have good hunting skills. Dont know anyone that uses one in NZ.
    Have heard of a guy that uses one for deer hunting. Don't know him at all and not seen the hound but heard of him walking in a hut one day and everyone pissing themselves at the sight of his trusty black poodle.
    He had the last laught though when he returned with a butchered red skin the next day lol

Apparently it did pretty well for itself.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    I thought bulldogs and bull terriers were bred to bait bulls.

Attachment 81960
    Bull dogs maybe the terriers were breed to fight.

bulldogs yes.... terriers were used as terriers.

I used to have a staffy cross pig dog that would indicate deer by pointing with her front leg, was quite funny to see this box headed mutt working quietly like a pointer breed in the bush.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    mines english bull x dogo argentina, he was bred as a pig hunter but had no inclination. so was starved etc till we rescued him. since i fed him rabbit meat to build him off from a underweight 17kg to his current 35 he thinks of wild bunnies as food. he will not "go for" any other animal and has a weird trait of liking bichons and poodles as the first dog he was socialized was a bichon. the look of horror on bichon owners as he runs up at the dog park is legendary. even worse was the look from them when he came back covered in blood n guts after catching a rabbit. i swear the grannies just about had a heart attack till they saw there woolly dogs again.
    Wow, I thought the Dogo Argentina was one breed which cannot be imported to New Zealand ... along with the American Pit Bull Terrier, Brazilian Fila, Japanese Tosa and Perro de Presa Canario.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Wow, I thought the Dogo Argentina was one breed which cannot be imported to New Zealand ... along with the American Pit Bull Terrier, Brazilian Fila, Japanese Tosa and Perro de Presa Canario.
    There's an existing line of dogos here already. I'm pretty sure they are not supposed to be bred for sale or something along those lines but they are about. They use them a lot to hunt pigs and protect stock from pumas in south America and are second to none if you want something to protect your property. A farmer in our area over there had one of them and it was chained to it's kennel if he wasn't about and their property was robbed, the dog dragged it's entire kennel around to the front of the house and smashed straight through the ranchslider glass trying to get at the thieves, they found him nearly dead (the dog) hanging out the bathroom window by his chain, his kennel had been dragged through the house behind him and he had obviously followed the thief out the bathroom window bleeding really bad from a big gash up his front leg from going through the glass. I didn't see it but was told there was blood from both human and dog all through the house like some kind of grissly murder scene. Thieves obviously thought they were safe since the dog was chained up..
    Tommy likes this.