Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Puppy/Adult dogfood

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Don't feed dogs uncooked or unfrozen mutton or goat. Both carry sheep measles. Cooking and freezing (below a certain temp for a designated period. Cant remember figures off the top of my head) kills it.
    7 days rings a bell but we always froze it for at least month to be sure.

Banned
    A puppies digestive system is not fully developed so needs a bit of gentle treatment. Eggs are extremely good, being a very high grade protein (full range of aminos) as well as being easily digested. Feed them raw.
    Fish is the next highest grade protein and actually gives the highest growth rates. I have fed whole Kahawai as dog. Your puppy is growing its skeletal bones and needs the right nutrition / minerals to grow them. Raw small bones like rabbit and possum are really good, eat bones to grow bones. The puppy can chew up the ribs easily. I would feed everything raw. Never mix a kibble with raw food (if you must feed kibble), feed it as a separate meal. I would never feed tux to a dog I love

As the carriers of the Sheep Measles tapeworms, meat from sheep or goats needs to be treated by freezing at -10°c for 10 days, or cooking until brown throughout prior to feeding.
    rugerman and Moa Hunter like this.

Can't speak for experience, but for dog roll I've heard good things about Possy yum.
    rugerman likes this.

Another thing we do with a young pup is make them up milk (miligans spelling) and the old dogs love the odd bowl as well, Cost about $20 a small bag from farmlands. If you only have the one pup the bag will last for ages.

Try and give that pup the best start in life little things helps

mix it up a little bit, you imagine if your wife cook you rice plain ever night for 6months
    rugerman likes this.

Started my lab/heading dog on coprice puppy food then carried on with coprice adult dog after 12 months or whatever the recommendation was and a chunk of frozen venison or goat scraps morning and night hes fit as hell and people always comment on how good his coat looks so I'll keep him on that and recommend it to anyone
    rugerman likes this.

Possyum has the lowest water content of the dog rolls ( most dog roll is 80% water ), but I would only feed it as a treat or in small quantities along with a balanced dry food. Mind you at $12 a roll it is pretty pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
    Can't speak for experience, but for dog roll I've heard good things about Possy yum.

so do dogs have issues / allergies with peanuts or peanut butter ? That seems to be a popular ingredient in treats or straight from a spoon going by some of the youtube vids.....
    born to hunt - forced to work

Like with any young animal ( and I include humans in that too, although I prefer 4 leggers ), if you give them the right nutrition when they are developing you are much less likely to run into health problems later in life. Genetic conditions obviously will be unaffected and every breed has their own genetic problems. Over supplementation of minerals and vitamins can be detrimental, as well as under supply. That's why it's easier to feed a balanced diet from pre made dry food. All animal requirements are worked out on a dry matter basis, so you need to take water content of the food into consideration when working out what they need. Dog roll is worked out in an "as fed" basis to take into account the very high water content. Since the manufacturers are in the business of selling more dog roll, I would be doing the numbers to check how much they say to feed is actually the correct amount for the dog. Although as mentioned feeding it alone will cause teeth problem unless you brush the woofers teeth ( I suggest using the wife's tooth brush ).

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    I was told by an old stockman (Gisborne bred too) that if you feed a pup well it will be easy to feed when it is older and working. As in easier to keep condition on.

Yep dogs can have the same allergies as humans. Luckily the most common ones seem to be skin allergies

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    so do dogs have issues / allergies with peanuts or peanut butter ? That seems to be a popular ingredient in treats or straight from a spoon going by some of the youtube vids.....

Quote Originally Posted by JonP View Post
    G’day, I’ve got a new pup on the way in a couple weeks. What is everyone feeding there pups/dogs?
    Any recommendations or suggestions? Cheers
    Find out what the breeder is currently feeding and get that for a start then transition the pup to what you prefer. A sudden change in diet can really upset thier tummy.
    I transitioned my vizsla x from dry kibble to raw over about 8 weeks....now his diet consists of chicken frames/necks, beef bones, trout bodies, rabbit, hare, vennni bones/trimmings and eggs.
    rugerman and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wsm junkie View Post
    Find out what the breeder is currently feeding and get that for a start then transition the pup to what you prefer. A sudden change in diet can really upset thier tummy.
    I transitioned my vizsla x from dry kibble to raw over about 8 weeks....now his diet consists of chicken frames/necks, beef bones, trout bodies, rabbit, hare, vennni bones/trimmings and eggs.
    What’s his poop like on the raw diet? More, less, firm, reliable or something you need to be careful of?
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    What’s his poop like on the raw diet? More, less, firm, reliable or something you need to be careful of?
    He's fed morning and night so normally has a couple or 3 poops a day and arn't excessive in quantity.
    Generally they are firm but can get soft/runny if he gets too much fat particularily from beef brisket bones.
    One difference that I have noticed from previous dogs on a commercial roll/biscuit diet is his poops dont seem to stink.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I will definitely get her diet and follow that for a while before transitioning to anything else if required.
    Good to read the comments. Fully agree with giving the best possible start to your pup 👍
    wsm junkie and rugerman like this.

Banned
    He's fed morning and night so normally has a couple or 3 poops a day and arn't excessive in quantity.
    Generally they are firm but can get soft/runny if he gets too much fat particularily from beef brisket bones.
    One difference that I have noticed from previous dogs on a commercial roll/biscuit diet is his poops dont seem to stink.
    What you have written re poops is what I would expect. Smaller diameter and less total volume compared to poops from dog roll or kibble with a lot of grain that dogs cant digest.