Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Springer Spaniel

Lost For Time

Springer Spaniel

I'm looking at getting a pup. First time dog owner I am, Wifey has grown up with dogs though. I haven't done to much info searching on springer spaniel's, Need to get off my butt and start reading I think. But anyway a few questions 1st :

How do people rate them for hunting ? Deer, Ducks, Pheasants, Quail, Rabbits etc ?
    Do they have a good temperament such as being around little kids ?
    How easy/hard are they to train ? (I probably need the training more !)
    Ok to be left alone for up to 8hrs a day while at work then run every night and weekends ?
    Big eaters ?

Thanks.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt !

Get a good one and they can do all the above, but a bit of an ask for a deer dog....
    They are great with kids, like kids left untrained they could be a handful.
    BushHunter and PERRISCICABA like this.

I have an english cocker spaniel, which is just a smaller version with the same nature. They are great dogs and have natural instincts to search out game. I trust my dog around game birds etc but not with deer. He is amazing with rabbits, able to sniff them, chase them/dig them out. My uncle has one and he is a great dog. They do need exercise as they have amazing amounts of energy. You need to get onto the training early and make sure he sticks to it. My uncle has had his dog snipped and it has made a world of difference, otherwise they can be a handful.
    My dog gets left for long periods and think he quite likes it. Leave him with water and food and he is happy as larry. Sleeps and relaxes all day, then is ready to go for a work out in the evening. Before hand we had a golden lab and that might suit your requirements. best of luck. Name:  IMG_0111.jpg
Views: 1993
Size:  426.0 KBName:  IMG_0112.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  335.3 KB

No way in hell would I have a Springer as a deer dog, they are way to keen on flushing. Look at a Viszla, Lab or working dog for deer would be my recommendation.
    Pointer, BushHunter and mcche171 like this.

Lost For Time
    I really liked the idea of a Springer Spaniel, But as Deer Stalking is my main hunting then probably not from reading above, Thanks for reply's.

Lab is off the list as wifey doesn't want one.
    Will look into Vizsla.

What about an English Pointer ? ........

Gsp s will tick all the boxes too . Since a first dog pick a dog breed / and breeder that can offer help in training .
    Luke.S, Dougie, camo wsm and 1 others like this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Lost For Time
    After reading a bit and a little bit more .... Eyes going square. Some topics I found here : http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...ing-dog-12950/ ... http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...t-timer-14000/ And from googleing, I now think im a little confused with what to go with. I will keep researching and reading and also look for breeders in the Waikato/BOP area to talk to and go from there.

Deer Stalking
    (with a little small game hunting to)
    Tramping
    Bush Walks with the kids
    Family Dog
    Live in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Gsp s will tick all the boxes too . Since a first dog pick a dog breed / and breeder that can offer help in training .
    After having a GSP as my first dog and a deer dog I would not recommend one.
    Dougie, mikee and BushHunter like this.

Maybe go meet some GSPs first too can do your head in as a first timer, pick the wrong blood line and you'll have a mental Olympic runner on P on your hands!

Wifey keen with a mutt? I've seen some great working collies/huntaways (what I call a Kiwi Collie) turn into great deer dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BushHunter likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

My first hunting dog was/is a Viszla. If I did it all again, a GSP or like @Dougie said, a Kiwi Collie.

The Viszla is a great dog, great will the kids etc, but has some pretty high demands with training and exercise. Don't get me wrong, they are great dogs, by maybe not first up.
    BushHunter likes this.

ROAR HUNT RUAHINE 2013: http://youtu.be/sZVZnlQInP4

The heading/collie types can be good, watch this one work. Seek a bit of guidance from someone who knows more than I do though if you do go after one; different farm dogs have slightly different jobs or work a different way (heading vs hunting) and some are better suited to deer work than others, I think. I don't know how they go on birds though. It's a shame your wife doesn't want a lab...

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk
    BushHunter likes this.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by BushHunter View Post
    After reading a bit and a little bit more .... Eyes going square. Some topics I found here : http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...ing-dog-12950/ ... http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...t-timer-14000/ And from googleing, I now think im a little confused with what to go with. I will keep researching and reading and also look for breeders in the Waikato/BOP area to talk to and go from there.

Deer Stalking
    (with a little small game hunting to)
    Tramping
    Bush Walks with the kids
    Family Dog
    Live in town.
    Hey mate I have a 1 year old male GSP pup that you can have a look at if you are over my way anytime, then you can see what you are in for...
    BushHunter likes this.

Lost For Time
    Wifey says no : Labs, Collies or X-Breeds. Fark. She did how ever suggest a Rhodesian Ridgeback into the maybe list .............

I just did that online Breed Match test to see what would come back, My suggested Ideal Breed is a Pointer.

Dog Food, Nutrition, and Breed Information | Eukanuba.com

Yep im not sure, But im in no hurry, Will sort a kennel and a new fence around the section first.

Lost For Time
    Just for reference later :

Versatile Hunting Dog Test ASSN (NZ)

Here is a quick primer for any novice dog trainer and a useful reminder for old hands at the game.

* Dogs do not reason; they cannot connect an action with its consequences if time or space has elapsed between the two. It is therefore pointless to delay any corrective intervention until the dog comes to hand.

* Dogs do not understand English (or any other language for that matter). So don' read them the riot act expecting them to understand all the details. What they will react to is the tone of your voice, your movements and your general posture. If all that points to a painful experience in the past it will reinforce what they are facing at the time. The fact that they then look wary is often interpreted that they feel guilty.

* Dogs are highly sensitive to your moods, your state of health, anything that is out of the ordinary. Never train your dog if you are agitated, in a bad mood or in a hurry.
    Dog training is most successful if you are relaxed, do it at the same time and in a familiar environment. Initially anyway, the more routine you can make it the less the dog is distracted by novel things and the more it will concentrate on you.

* Never punish your dog for not following a command. The most probable answer is that the dog has not yet grasped what you want from it. Either it had not had enough training or your methods were too confusing. Simple exercises, repeated often coupled with lots of praise are the keys to creating a good working dog.

* Last but not least, never give a command unless you have the means to enforce it immediately. (Re-read point one).
    teFerrarri likes this.

Lost For Time
    Quote Originally Posted by camo wsm View Post
    Hey mate I have a 1 year old male GSP pup that you can have a look at if you are over my way anytime, then you can see what you are in for...
    Thanks mate, I will send a PM when I do head over that way, Cheers !