Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Springer Spaniel

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    the second springer a male when i got him he was around 16 months old which with some dogs is less than ideal if they have already picked up bad habits...after around 7 months of training and many beatings all i wanted to do is shoot it! lucky for the dog someone wanted to breed with it so i happily dropped it off and never returned to pic it back up .

"theyl do anything for a sausage"
    Cheers.
    Mate, next time you have a thought... Let it go!

Not much a good ol hiding can't fix eh

I wonder sometimes where the mentality to give a dog a hiding for 'non-compliance' came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew46826 View Post
    Not much a good ol hiding can't fix eh

I wonder sometimes where the mentality to give a dog a hiding for 'non-compliance' came from.
    Not knowing what else to do!
    upnorth uplander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    ...after around 7 months of training and many beatings all i wanted to do is shoot it! lucky for the dog someone wanted to breed with it so i happily dropped it off and never returned to pic it back up .
    Brilliant

Well that screws me im always agitated, in a mood and going flat out!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

But will you do anything for a sausage Maca49?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    .after around 7 months of training and many beatings all i wanted to do is shoot it! lucky for the dog someone wanted to breed with it so i happily dropped it off and never returned to pic it back up .
    Brilliant
    Mate, next time you have a thought... Let it go!
    there are times ruff i really understand why professsional dog trainers are few and far between
    dealing with the mentality of some would make me take up knitting instead.
    to much of the some old mentality that dog control is terrifying a dog into submission and obediance .
    that type of dog will let you down just when you need it cos it dont respect you or trust you

Usually it just takes someone to give a shit.... I do lose the plot. regularly... but I remain passionate about good dogs, good people and good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff;270880[U
    ]Usually it just takes someone to give a shit....[/U] I do lose the plot. regularly... but I remain passionate about good dogs, good people and good results.
    im no angel in anything but did have a good working dog teacher in an old south island musterer boss
    i still need reminding sometimes of what he showed me, it was enough in that i use to reguly take other peoples ruined hunterways and heading dogs and turn a lot of them around. some were iretrievable in that the,yd turned worriers or soured completely and i still try that today to get a good dog deal .
    time is a factor and endless patience something i need to remember more as i get older to.

Ruff I've got a sheep that worries dogs, please advise? I'd hate him to get a taste for it. Shall I tie the offending mutton to a wild corgi and let them sort it out?
    Ruff likes this.

Tie it to a hedge.

Being from Minnesota here in the U.S we don't get to hunt deer with dogs, as it is illegal. That said, my Australian shepherd is well trained in tracking wounded game and does a fantastic job. Up in Canada, a friend of our family has a Deutsch Drahthaar (quality bred German wirehair whose parents have to meet a certain set of standards to be bred) and it is a monster on deer. The dog will find the deer, and point 50 yards away, readjusting if the deer moves. It also hunts grouse like a champion, often circling the grouse 20 yards away to keep it pinned. He also duck and goose hunts quite successfully with it.
    The only problem with it is that it never wants to stop hunting. He can't have a cat around it, as it loves to hunt small game and to it, a cat is a perfect small game animal. The dog is very calm and docile with kids and sleeps most of the day In the house, which might lead one to think it would be a lazy hunting dog, but when it hits the field it goes hard all day. Training with it took patience because unlike a lab, it doesn't like repetition. Give a well bred GWP or DD a try and you won't be disappointed.
    If I add a dog to my house, it'll be a DD or a lab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk