Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: CCI Mini Mag or Stinger

CCI Mini Mag or Stinger

Hi all. I've got some hares to shoot that I used to use a 22mag on. Now I've got a 10/22 with barrel and suppressor wrapped in carbon all one unit. I was thinking of a bit more knock down power at the 50 to 80 yard range.

What I am wondering is if anyone has tried the cci Stinger and the segmented bullets?

They both have the same weight prod and same listed velocity and energy, but the segmented is supposed to break into 3 pieces on impact and do more damage. Anyone used these rounds? Or should I just stick to heavier slower minimag? Any help appreciated

Chart for comparison.

Sent from my S7e

Segemented showed no better killing power over the standard subs, stingers are good and can make a mess in my experience

Hang on , i think i had segemented subs not the high velocity ones you show in the photo. Stingers are good ignore everything else i have said

Yeah I was thinking stingers but wondered if they were worth the extra coin.

Sent from my S7e

northdude
    use whatever is most accurate you've got to hit them first
    mudgripz, Tommy and rossi.45 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    use whatever is most accurate you've got to hit them first
    True. Usually use cci subs. They pretty good.

Sent from my S7e
    Natatale likes this.

I used those CCI segmented extra fast ones (quickshock I think they were called) for a while, they definitely killed well but they were never particularly accurate through my rifle.

I have a 10/22 with suppressor and i originally bought a brick of winchester 40 grain subs. I had a lot of trouble with them not ejecting and jamming the action. I swapped to CCI mini mag and they rarely jam. Fairly accurate over short range I've found. Id buy a box of each type and try them through your rifle.
    Natatale likes this.

Dude I would be more worried about hitting them if your using a 10/22, they aren't exactly renowned for accuracy, not taking the piss ( well maybe a little ) but you might have to really experiment with what gives you the best group of of that rifle.
    mudgripz and 40bung like this.

If you are using ( may have misread here) some type of full overbarrel suppressor, these often entail porting of barrel and your ammos may run alot slower. Even 1200fps supersonic can end up subsonic - so charts may not be accurate.

I agree with earlier comments that if you wish accurate 50-80m shooting, a ruger is not the rifle of choice. Also agree would be good to just set up some paper and see what does shoot well in your rifle. I have found some hyper velocity rounds have half the bullet drop (much flatter), but also half the accuracy.
    Carpe Diem and viper like this.

If you have a match chamber in your 10/22 ( I know normal is fine) but match chambers can't handle the stingers due to the tightening of the tolerances. Same as if you have a kidd or volquartsen barrel / chamber combo.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgripz View Post
    If you are using ( may have misread here) some type of full overbarrel suppressor, these often entail porting of barrel and your ammos may run alot slower. Even 1200fps supersonic can end up subsonic - so charts may not be accurate.

I agree with earlier comments that if you wish accurate 50-80m shooting, a ruger is not the rifle of choice. Also agree would be good to just set up some paper and see what does shoot well in your rifle. I have found some hyper velocity rounds have half the bullet drop (much flatter), but also half the accuracy.
    True that. Barrel is a shortened 10/22 barrel with nil ports. Has the suppressor at the end of the muzzle and skinnier shorter barrel and suppressor wrapped. It does shoot cci sub reasonably well and I am sure some of the shots were further that they looked

Sent from my S7e

CCI mini mags shoot a tad more accurate than anything else I've tried for my rifle. I've got a few hares on a pine block so stalking in to 40m is possible, but most shots are 50-65m. I've found that it doesn't matter what I use as long as you hit then in the neck chest junction they'll go down fast and good quick clean kills.

I zero at 50m and use the pine tree spacings as my rangefinder, just count the number of trees between myself and quarry.

Hope that helps.

The cci segmented ones group like shit in my cz.I just tried some 45grn cci suppressor which grouped well tonight.Will see how they do on possums later

these
    Attached Images Attached Images