Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: The Stag and the Wallaby

sneakywaza I got

The Stag and the Wallaby

Have been learning a new hunting area since getting a house in Fairlie, and over a couple of months, discovered an odd friendship, was on a well used game trail trying to get close to a couple of Fallow when from behind me I hear a slow thump, thump, thump (think one thousand, two thousand three thousand tempo) I look around and fuck me, a great big grey Wallaby comes thumping down the trail past me like I am invisible, within 3 meters just goes thumping on past like he's got all day and nowhere to be!, literally could have dive tacked him (could have made for an interesting minute or so....) Left him alone as I was after Bambi, later turns out that was good karma.

Over the next few weeks I bumped into the same Wallaby a few more times, He was hanging out with a 10 point Red stag that was real good at hiding in the matagouri (lots of poachers and hunting pressure had made him smart and cautious) The wallaby would lead the way into open areas and the stag would lag behind waiting to see if it was clear, and then follow him about. Over a few searches of the area ( not taking the occasional half chance he offered) I worked out his main living quarters and planned my ambush.

Mid morning yesterday, as the sun warmed up the sheltered gut that was home, I was sitting tight to a big matagouri lump above the gut watching his general area waiting to see if he would come out as he had been, and sure enough the Wallaby suddenly came bopping along out of the heavy cover, but not from where I was expecting, quick switch of focus and wait out - A few seconds later the stag pushes out his head and has a bit of a look, and then strolls out into the open, and then turns to go back into cover up the hill where the Wallaby went, I wasn't in the best position for a downhill shot, jammed elbows into knees and sent an 85gn Sierra Hp Gameking into the engine room through the top of his shoulder, he collapsed at the shot rolled over backward and rolled down the hill. 267 yards and the wee .243 flattened him with authority

The carry out was not fun, about 14k to the road end, thank fuck some of it was station/doc easement track, was on my chin strap by the time I made the truck. The wife likes the head so much that she is going to pay for getting it mounted and wants to put it on the wall was going it stick it in a bucket full of dirt and let nature clean it up and put it on the wall in the garage.

Thought I was in the crap for being late home when we were supposed to be leaving Fairlie for home at 5pm, and I didn't get back untill 6, and needed food, brews and a shower, and get my gear through the wash - didn't leave before 8.30 but no grief at all, man some days life is good!
    Name:  Public land 10pt Re Stag.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  189.8 KB
    P38, Shootm, nor-west and 27 others like this.

Good report there fella,14 k would have killed me. Well done, good on you for sussing out that area and playing the game.
    Awaian likes this.

Head looks tidy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bet that wallaby is thinking to himself about now "I knew if I let that dumb pointy head bastard follow me round long enough someone would shoot him and leave me alone, good plan that one.."
    nor-west, Brian, gadgetman and 5 others like this.

Nice looking head as well, be good to see a picture to see it whole.

Awesome
    Gotta love those Gamekings

What a bloody dagg! Awesome yarn mate and yeah I'd also be keen to see the head in all its glory

So what are you and your new mate going to shoot next?
    257weatherby likes this.

Nice!
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Makes you wonder how these animals think, obvious the stag was using the wallaby as his guard. Excellent write up and good looking stag.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    What a bloody dagg! Awesome yarn mate and yeah I'd also be keen to see the head in all its glory
    Dropped the head in at O'rourkes today, fark it's going to cost!, $1450!, but the wife reckons it's a one off ,(she thinks I'm not going to get a good stag every month for some reason) so still happy to pay for it and put on the wall in the house. I did prop it on the wall and take a pick front on before I left it with the taxidermist, will post it up when I get it off my phone.
    Gibo and Micky Duck like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    So what are you and your new mate going to shoot next?
    Actually I am considering starting a new hunting methodology, training wallabies as deer indicators and deer guides, sitting on your bum and wait for the deer to follow your pet wallaby to your location would be a neat trick!
    Gibo, Marty Henry and 223nut like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Actually I am considering starting a new hunting methodology, training wallabies as deer indicators and deer guides, sitting on your bum and wait for the deer to follow your pet wallaby to your location would be a neat trick!
    Maaaaaate.....

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Makes you wonder how these animals think, obvious the stag was using the wallaby as his guard. Excellent write up and good looking stag.
    This guy had been living in the gut area a long time and somehow managed to evade the attentions of the various two legged predators, yet ultimately it was his pet wallaby that undid him, oddly, there are Fallow living in the same area, and I wouldn't have thought they would share, certainly have not seen it before, in the Nth Isl, the Sika drive Reds out of an area as I understand it. You learn something new every day.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Bet that wallaby is thinking to himself about now "I knew if I let that dumb pointy head bastard follow me round long enough someone would shoot him and leave me alone, good plan that one.."
    That, is the funniest thing I've heard in ages