Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By woods223
  • 3 Post By ROKTOY
  • 1 Post By timattalon

Thread: A where to go with a difference

A where to go with a difference

Bit of back story. I have an older quad bike currently in Blenheim. It will be there over summer as will I. Wondering if anyone has any ideas on where I can safely / legally take it for an explore. Not looking for hunting spots, as the freezer is already full, though a few goats may be nice, more somewhere I can take it for a look without getting into trouble. Like an armed tramp but with a quad....I am even open to an unarmed excursion with Binos and camera...

Ideally day trips but could be interested in an overnighter ......I have tents etc that dont get used like they should...

The quad is returning home to Chch end of January and will be used for more mundane stuff like dragging a weedsprayer etc...
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Leatham/Branch area or Top valley/Lake Chalice are two areas you could go. Most forest tracks are gated, with security camera’s present these days and many are still not accessible after last lot of rain damage. These areas mentioned are ute accessible but 4 wheeler/ SxS is a is a good ride.
    timattalon likes this.

Yeah, The Leatham valley is good, plenty of room for a hoon, get a rimfire /small game permit and reduce the possums and hares while up there. Shoot up the Branch River to Greig's hut, and up Boulder stream to Boulder Forks hut.
    If you want an overnighter head up the Matakitaki to Downies hut, you'll spend the day cruising up the valley throwing lures or flies in the river.
    St Arnaud area you have the Porika track that runs from the Howard valley over into Lake Rotoroa. Pylon service tracks as well as a fairly well maintained access road.
    I have a quad sitting at home so if you wanted some company, yell out.
    308, timattalon and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Yeah, The Leatham valley is good, plenty of room for a hoon, get a rimfire /small game permit and reduce the possums and hares while up there. Shoot up the Branch River to Greig's hut, and up Boulder stream to Boulder Forks hut.
    If you want an overnighter head up the Matakitaki to Downies hut, you'll spend the day cruising up the valley throwing lures or flies in the river.
    St Arnaud area you have the Porika track that runs from the Howard valley over into Lake Rotoroa. Pylon service tracks as well as a fairly well maintained access road.
    I have a quad sitting at home so if you wanted some company, yell out.
    Cheers @ROKTOY Will do. I hope to spend some time up that way after Christmas as I have almost all of January off . If the nelson road is open, I might take you up on the offer.
    ROKTOY likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Altimarloch and Okiwi Bay(east coast) is another area. You an get up Boulder stream but cannot drive to the hut anymore, massive washout on the other side of the last river crossing. Only a 5 min walk though.