Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Like Tree148Likes

Thread: First hunting rifle

I don't like to shoot a 7mm mag because of the recoil and I am 6' 220 pounds. If that is what he gets you I would get a muzzle break for it. Between me and my dad we have killed everything from antelope and deer to elk and even moose with a 270 winchester. If your husband wants you to go with something with more knock down power I would go with a 30-06 or the 280. There is no reason to get something that you cant shoot accurately because you cant handle the recoil.
    Last edited by gimp; 08-08-2017 at 09:00 AM. Reason: deleting spam links
    Jit likes this.

Banned
    270win bating is a bit dull when it has clearly proven to be awesome.
    Jit likes this.

Jit
    Hey I learned to shoot as a lad with a 22 rim fire followed by competition air rifle. Moved to 303 Enfield and onto SLR and finally SA80 all with the cadet force. Hunted with .22 RM and .177 before eventually getting some proper hunter training and shooting .308 and 12 gauge. Then shot everything from .38 pistol to 50bmg and everything in between , 10 Yrds to 1500. Settled on .308 and 30-06. Before movingbto NZ and scratching my magnum itch. So 270WSM, 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag and 300 blaser mag later it turns out I've still shot more with a humble 308 in the past 20 years than all the others put toether.
    Choose a sensible calibre, it doesn't matter which one and get out there and practice then hunt or take the deerstalkers Hunts course . All the sensible calibres +6mm can humanly take game in this country to farther than you can shoot .

Mate just get something put the scope on it and get out there. No point wasting time trying to find the perfect gun because as a month after you get it something else will catch your eye. You can always change later on down the track when you have more of a idea what you like or just start accumulating them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    blake, Steve123 and Paddy79 like this.

Well.....this is not a life and death decision......it is a simple purchase......and if you are like most of us, you will acquire other rifles in time.
    You have a fine optic ......that's a good move. Either Tikka or Sako will serve you well. The .308 is an excellent all around cartridge.
    I am a utilitarian and would get a stainless Tikka and spend the rest on good ammo and get out there and go for it.
    I like the stainless laminate t3x. I like the t3x modifications.

Post Script: give heed to utilize a quality scope mount .and rings of a height that suits you. In short, take pains in property setting up your rifle to suit your needs. Make sure that the barrel and stock are properly seated and that your scope is properly mounted.
    Just my .02 cents
    Steve123 likes this.