Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Opinions on bedding job

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
    Never used an a-bolt? the Browning plastic stock is pretty much the best of them
    Had an early one years ago, as I said if he is going to be so fussy to bed an action then dump the plastic stock

Quote Originally Posted by Steveh054 View Post
    Dude it looks to me that it was a rush job and sent back to you before it was properly cured. There is no way the compound should be gooey or spread! By the look of it, the mixture was piss poor and some wanker has used too much and expected the excess to "ooze" out and be a good fit....it's a fuckup
    Thats pretty much what I said in the email to him - That it looked like he loast patience with it and just wanted it out of the shop. I called him originally after him having the rifle for 4 days just to see how he was getting on and he said the first jobn of doing it didn't come out right as the bedding compound came out with the action, which whilst not good I was like shit happens, no panic. another 4 days went by and I got the call that it was ready and I really was thinking that it would have been mint. Unfortunately not.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    It may still be functional, even if it doesn't look the best.

The stuff on the metal work should come off okay, the big gap around the barrel is fine...I like mine that way so the flex in the foreend from bipod use etc wont touch the barrel. But that rear action screw area raises my concerns? I've never touched an A-bolt, so I don't really know how they should look, but it just doesn't look right having epoxy stuck around that rear section?

kj
    Kj - Yeah it may shoot all right, but man is it fugly and I've got some serious doubts about it. I'm a pretty easy going rooster but this is just WOW. If he had made an effort to clean up to an acceptable standard I probably wouldn't have notice other bits and piece and then also start to question weather the bedding job is going to do what a bedding job should do. To me the rear action screw is wierd. As in the photos - there was compound all round the trigger mech and even in it? WTF!!? I'm no expert by anymeans but I pretty sure it shouldn't be there. Live an learn

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    Had an early one years ago, as I said if he is going to be so fussy to bed an action then dump the plastic stock
    Lol, I'm not too fussy Wirehunt......sometimes I can be though

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    It may still be functional, even if it doesn't look the best.

The stuff on the metal work should come off okay, the big gap around the barrel is fine...I like mine that way so the flex in the foreend from bipod use etc wont touch the barrel. But that rear action screw area raises my concerns? I've never touched an A-bolt, so I don't really know how they should look, but it just doesn't look right having epoxy stuck around that rear section?

kj

NOTHING about this bedding job looks good, or acceptable.
    madjon_ likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Im no expert but that looks absolutely shithouse!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    NOTHING about this bedding job looks good, or acceptable.
    Yup, anyone that leaves a job in that state does not deserve your business, I'd be insisting on my money back and looking for another gunsmith...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

No respectable gunsmith could pull off such a shite job. Thats bloody terrible.

Hopefully you get it sorted with an acceptable outcome, and I would still be asking for my money back.

I personally would like to know who did this work, as I would like to avoid them for any future projects I may have.
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Can the bedding be removed?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Hey Guys, I don't really want to name him until I hear back from him. I'm tempted to name him as I am pretty pissed off and had a terrible night sleep with nightmares of it........I feel abused almost. lol. But I will say it's not one of the bigger names so fair not.

Okay, I see now. The photos look a lot worse when viewed on a laptop (than it did on my phone). I hope they fix it for you.

I believe its how people deal with their mistakes that determines the character of a man. Give the guy a chance to fix it before naming and shaming.

kj

Just a quick update guys/girls.

Have heard from the business owner and I'll be dropping the rifle back of tomorrow morning. So I'm please he has accepted "ownership" of the issue at hand and he has personally guaranteed that when it comes back I'll be more than happy with it. Time will tell, but as Kj has said above -
    I believe its how people deal with their mistakes that determines the character of a man. Give the guy a chance to fix it before naming and shaming
    Cheers for all the support to everyone

AB Precision
    He was helping you shoot further by pointing it up

Thats better than the job a local gun smith done for me, i got home and found nothing had been bedded at all so i paid for nothing. I do them myself now and can do a better job than what you have posted Grunta, hope he sorts it good for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    He was helping you shoot further by pointing it up
    lol, yeah no need for a moa rail now, I'm good to go!!! Don't suppose you've got got a spare a-bolt stock lying around do you Abe, I just might need one

Quote Originally Posted by Malhunting View Post
    Thats better than the job a local gun smith done for me, i got home and found nothing had been bedded at all so i paid for nothing. I do them myself now and can do a better job than what you have posted Grunta, hope he sorts it good for ya.

I was very close to giving it a crack myself, but with the roar so close etc I decided against it....note to self...

With the roar do you not get stags in close?
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    With the roar do you not get stags in close?
    Generally yes, but I'm heading into the same spot as last year and there were a couple of opportunities (long and funny story as to why they weren't taken then) that could only be taken with a longer shot, so with all things being equal if they haven't been shot already they should be parked up waiting for us again