Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Pard 008 S ?? Feed back.

Pard 008 S ?? Feed back.

As a knock around night vision what experience have people had with the Pard 008 S (non range finder/ballistic model).

I would use it for wallaby culling in the evening and night and the odd deer if a came across them while doing wallaby. On a .223. Shots out to 300 yards.

I can get a good deal on one at present.

(my other consideration is the new Arken with the range finder/ballistics bells and whistles - but at a far greater cost)
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I'd go thermal mate far lest pissing around not having to focus it every 2 sec

Quote Originally Posted by Padox View Post
    I'd go thermal mate far lest pissing around not having to focus it every 2 sec
    FWIW I'm old & grumpy, gone the "cheaper is always better route" learnt the lesson, got the T-Shirts, can't be arsed repeating it again & again, to have my subconscious continue to say "I told you so dick head"...

I / we run a few Pulsar thermals & couldn't be happier with their performance

I've got a 008V range finder model on a .22 for rabbits. Does the job bloody well. Good vision out to about 400ish. Eyes stick out like dogs balls in the uv light making it quick to scan a larger area with. Really handy being able to change batteries, costs les than $20 for 4 on TradeMe. The range finder is useful for me as can't tell distances in daylight let alone dark but if was using it on a centrefire doubt it would be as useful as on the .22
    Tahr, BSA270 and 16Tontovarish like this.

Have one of the original Pard NV008's, and find it just works well.
    For scanning an area it's horrible, especially on a heavy rifle. The minimum magnification is too high to make an effective spotter. Pair it with a handheld thermal, and I find the combination really effective.
    The increased resolution of the NV over the thermal allows for better target identification. The thermals ability to see for km's allows for quick target acquisition even when partly obscured, and can ensure there is nothing behind your target that does not want a bullet whizzing past.
    Tahr, gadgetman and BSA270 like this.

I've been using one for a couple of years now, a few thoughts:

mine primarily lives on my 10/22 as a evening/night bunny and possum rifle. it's a decent unit but has a few drawbacks. if you're shooting 223 I'd say that the lack of a rangefinder isn't the worst as its a pretty flat projectile so 50m off one way or another isn't such a big deal.

the target ID is top notch, super clear. the built in illuminator is damn good. I can recognize the neighbors' cat from a good 60-70m away, ID it as a cat from maybe 100-120m and identify there is an animal by the eyeshine a good 200m off.

the bad:
    It's not a target scope. by which I mean there is no on the fly elevation or windage adjustment, you need to access a menu and the clicks don't align to... anything really.
    6x base zoom is rough for rabbiting.

I'd treat it as the equivalent to strapping a good quality spotlight to your rifle, with the added bonus that it doesn't spook animals or neighbours.
    Tahr and BSA270 like this.

but just like strapping said spotlight to rifle....where ever you are looking you are pointing a loaded rifle....
    BSA270, techno retard and Sharki like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    but just like strapping said spotlight to rifle....where ever you are looking you are pointing a loaded rifle....
    If it is loaded. It shouldn't be until you are ready to fire?
    BSA270 likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

What I've found with doing pest control, local orchids and vineyards:
    Thermal for scanning and night vision for final target ID and shooting is the conclusion most have come to. Including myself eventually...
    The alternative would be scanning with a light to find rough location then shoot with NV. If the animals aren't light shy that can be very effective.

The NV units are more particular when it comes to focusing, if you have a technical mind it's not a problem. They aren't a point-and-shoot bit of gear though.

Accurately judging ranges at night is bloody tricky. With a flat shooting cartridge that simplifies things tremendously.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

I've used a 007 clip on for the last 4 or so years. Having a parallax adjustable scope is a must but I digress as the 008 is a dedicated scope. I have shot most things with it including your list of intended clients which it's pretty good at actually, eyes stick out well past the useable range of the illuminator. Getting above any grass etc is vital or you will just white out the screen with back scatter like a spotlight. A supplementary illuminator is a bloody good investment, it prolongs the units battery and to be honest the one in the unit isn't that great past 150 yds it makes positive id a bit difficult. A small add on like the sytong one is a big improvement.
    As already said, depth and distance perception is poor. The clip on using your normal scope allows a mil dot reticle as a sort of range finder. Perhaps there's a similar reticle in the 008. Also as a day scope the image is certainly good enough to use.

Up close the 008 is infuriating to use / attempt to use. Try looking at a bunny 30m away through your centrefire scope cranked up to 6.5 power Also up close(under 20m) the backscatter off pine needles/long grass/glossy leaves/sides of buildings is a big pain in the arse. And at 20m looking up into a tree attempting to shoot a possum its hard to fit the entire possum into the scope view. And then you are generally not braced against anything to assist in getting rid of the 6.5 power wobbles.

Once you are shooting stuff out beyond 50m it comes into its own.

@XR500 When shooting possums out of trees, I use the laser illuminator on the Pard, and turn on my headlamp. Much quicker than firing up the scope and finding the possum.
    Tahr likes this.

OK. Good idea
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Up close the 008 is infuriating to use / attempt to use. Try looking at a bunny 30m away through your centrefire scope cranked up to 6.5 power Also up close(under 20m) the backscatter off pine needles/long grass/glossy leaves/sides of buildings is a big pain in the arse. And at 20m looking up into a tree attempting to shoot a possum its hard to fit the entire possum into the scope view. And then you are generally not braced against anything to assist in getting rid of the 6.5 power wobbles.

Once you are shooting stuff out beyond 50m it comes into its own.
    Our Sytong HT60 3x-8x outsells the 6.5x-13x 20 to 1 for this very reason.
    quentin, BSA270, Joe_90 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    If it is loaded. It shouldn't be until you are ready to fire?
    a firearm is always loaded...you know that..... unless it has no bolt in it...its a loaded firearm full stop.
    75/15/10 black powder matters