Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 11 Post By stagslayer 12
  • 1 Post By Dundee
  • 1 Post By Mathias

Thread: The Roar So Far

The Roar So Far

just thought i,d share a bit of my roar trips in my local area, kicked off late march in one of my favorite spots netted a 9 ptr roaring well, had real good condition on him, the summers been good to him, made for a heavy carry out up the back breaking ridge to the carpark, spent the next few days chasing the reds, finding while theres a good number of stags around they weren,t really fired up & therefore hard to get onto, northerly breezes didnt help, hard to work to + the warm temps make for lethargig activity in the daytime from the stags, I spent a day in the kawekas early april see if any sika were starting up, had a stag come to my roar early morn but got my wind, took off squealing!! damn!, off to another spot that evening heard a territory call & movement in the beech... along came a stag... well almost - a big spiker, well beggars can,t be choosers & sika venison is bloody great so a crack from the 270 had him on the ground.
    A few Days later back in the ruahines chasing reds was the same as week before, though on the last nite a 9 pointer decided to come out & see what my roars meant, he soon found out when the 270 spoke
    Next was trying my luck with the sika later in april, camped in the kawekas I got onto an angry stag that went mental just before daylight smashing a kanuka bush & giving all sorts of squeals & grunts... but wouldn,t move from the tight spot he was in then went quiet when the sun hit his spot, the next day or so was quiet with most roaring action happening in the nightime, I decided to pack in to a hut which usually produces a bit more action, once i,d set up & dropped down to one of my fav spots, roared a stag up to 20 yds away, gave him a 130 gr ballistic tip for his efforts, only to trail him down into a steep shitty gully with heaps of bluffy outcrops! bloody bugger! hawk food now!
    Next morning I tried another spot, the morning was crisp & cool, a single call wafted across the face to me, I sent my reply, movement at the bottom of the face revealed itself as a spiker feeding, not the source of the call, I gave a roar, which was replyed to & a rattle of shale there was the stag!... he stood front on & didn,t present a good shot, so waited for him to turn side on... which hed did... breifly as he bolted back to the scrub - must,ve sensed impending danger... the spiker was still feeding unaware, so since I have requests for sika venison the 270 spoke & down he went... a small antlered boy that wasn,t going to acheive trophy status - instead he,ll make steak status better Name:  IMG_1192.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  1.07 MBName:  IMG_1225.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  1.10 MBName:  IMG_1203.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  1.15 MBName:  IMG_1234.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  1.12 MBName:  IMG_1255.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  1.09 MBName:  IMG_1263.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  979.5 KBName:  stag big wallow lower baldie.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  616.1 KBName:  IMG_1260.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  1.11 MBName:  IMG_1291.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  547.0 KBName:  IMG_1294.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  619.7 KBName:  IMG_1300.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  1.20 MBName:  IMG_1307.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  1.17 MB
    outdoorlad, Grunta, Dundee and 8 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Exceptional stuff. Well done.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Nice write up there Stagslayer12!

Do you think maybe that big spiker was a satellite and the main action was fallowing?

Just a thought!
    Looks like you had a good time all round!

great write up and pics mate - well done - out there into it - freezer sorted..

Nice! THanks for sharing

yea unfortunately the main action arrived first, sensed danger before i could get a shot away, so the spiker bought it

Quote Originally Posted by stagslayer 12 View Post
    yea unfortunately the main action arrived first, sensed danger before i could get a shot away, so the spiker bought it
    Oh ok! Well as you said beggers can't be choosers

Great photo of the stag, well done mate, productive roar........
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Awesome, well done.

Nice pics and write up mate.Cows are dry now could make a plan for Kashmir. You forgot to mention you are the cover boy for NZ Hunting and Wildlife Magazine
    stagslayer 12 likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Nice right up. Jeez that pic of the Awatere Hut brings back memories, shot my first ever red deer across the creek from there. My sister & bro in law owned Fernlea Farm back in the 70's & 80's and I hiked into the hut from the back of the farm through Dead Horse Gully track.
    stagslayer 12 likes this.

true - was that the harrisons? gees that blocks changed hands a few times over the last 10 years! awateres had a mini makeover inside - sleeps 6 now

sweet mate - i,ll be in touch, yea they sent me a email saying i,d made the cover - one doesn,t want to blow ones own trumpet lol