Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: new 70 series

new 70 series

Have you seen the new 70 series that arriving next year or 2, here you go, if you haven't.

The biggest downside of the 70 series for me was the manual gearbox
    now there is auto version but only 4 cylinders (70 series body with Hilux engine ??).

Name:  2024-toyota-landcruiser-70-series- 223.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  389.3 KB
    Name:  toyota-landcruiser-70-series-update-03.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  227.4 KB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwsQ...nnel=CarExpert
    NRT, Micky Duck, norsk and 2 others like this.

The wheels look too small
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    The wheels look too small
    Big wheel + lift and it could be mistaken for a Jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Snap 4T View Post
    Big wheel + lift and it could be mistaken for a Jeep.
    Just wouldnt break down as much

Quote Originally Posted by Snap 4T View Post
    Have you seen the new 70 series that arriving next year or 2, here you go, if you haven't.

The biggest downside of the 70 series for me was the manual gearbox
    now there is auto version but only 4 cylinders (70 series body with Hilux engine ??).

Attachment 230530
    Attachment 230531

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwsQ...nnel=CarExpert
    tis a thing of rare beauty -- bless Toyota -- dont let any solely tarseal or queen street parade types buy ya
    Billbob likes this.

Have you seen what’s happened to the pricing of the last of the previous V8 model?

I drove past Ebbetts Toyota in Morrinsville the other day and glanced to my left and just about fell off the road.

$125,000 for a very low km demonstrator that is not technically “new”. WTF? Didn’t even have a tray! The list price on these is about $90k for the LX D/C so how they are adding an extra $35,000 is beyond me.

Can anyone shed any light on what’s going on? Is this insane mark up on the “Toyota Driveaway Price” actually what they think they can get away with, like what happened with the last of the Land Rover Defenders?
    Just...say...the...word

Do they still have the turning circle of an ocean liner?
    tetawa, matto1234, norsk and 1 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Well if it's like the 300 series you won't see one for 4yrs so no point in even looking.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Have you seen what’s happened to the pricing of the last of the previous V8 model?

I drove past Ebbetts Toyota in Morrinsville the other day and glanced to my left and just about fell off the road.

$125,000 for a very low km demonstrator that is not technically “new”. WTF? Didn’t even have a tray! The list price on these is about $90k for the LX D/C so how they are adding an extra $35,000 is beyond me.

Can anyone shed any light on what’s going on? Is this insane mark up on the “Toyota Driveaway Price” actually what they think they can get away with, like what happened with the last of the Land Rover Defenders?
    yes agree they overpriced to hell but so are the jeeps and no where near the quality- but I am struggling why- why some one would want one in automatic -to me utterly defeats why one would have a real 4x4
    Moa Hunter, XR500, RV1 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    absolutely!!! but I will never sell mine!!

Im not so sure about a poxy 4 cylinder even if it does make 150 odd KW.

My dad has a great saying. 'There's no replacement for displacement'. We were (still am) always a fan of having a big engine loafing as opposed to a small one working hard.
    Carbine, Shearer, 20 Bore and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Yup.

I was driving the one on the farm recently and it was great until I got to the switchbacks on the climb up the hill. Fucking pain in the arse to be frank. Not nice having to do three point turns with a killer drop somewhere behind you. The Hilux can make those turns in one go.

Used to drive the 70s underground in the gold mines here in NZ and in Aus. There you didn’t worry about a what was behind you, you just carried on reversing until you hit the wall. Then it was time to turn.

The 70s have fantastic capabilities but after half a lifetime driving them in the mines and elsewhere, experience says the modern beefed up Hilux is a better fit for almost all New Zealand applications. The torque output of the 2.8 is only just shy of the single turbo 4.5L V8. The lads have been working the GUNs really really hard for 6yrs now and they have been rock solid (6 of them). An upgraded spring pack and robust tray and off you go.
    Bill999 and Shearer like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by tac a1 View Post
    absolutely!!! but I will never sell mine!!

Im not so sure about a poxy 4 cylinder even if it does make 150 odd KW.

My dad has a great saying. 'There's no replacement for displacement'. We were (still am) always a fan of having a big engine loafing as opposed to a small one working hard.

I know what you mean- I get asked all the time in season on tractor work by cockys - why do you have a 125 HP tractor with a rake on - I tell them all its way better than having an 80 Hp and flogging it to death especially some of the real steep stuff we do - and hook a trailer on to cart wrap and its not enough at times
    tac a1 likes this.

Nah. You don’t need to drive the current Hilux hard. I can’t remember the exact figures now but the current 2.8 puts out roughly the same (or maybe more?) torque at similar engine speeds as the V8, you definitely do not need to rev the guts out of it.

it’s really noticeable when you are driving the one and then hopping straight into the other. You get that instant comparison. Press that “performance” button on the Hilux and you’ve got oodles of grunt.

none of these motors are cheap to fix these days when out of warranty, but God knows I would not want to be caught with a 1VD-FTV with problems.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    $125,000 for a very low km demonstrator that is not technically “new”. WTF? ...
    Can anyone shed any light on what’s going on? ....

If you booked one thru Toyota and are willing to wait say 2 to 4 years
    you are eligible to buy one at Toyota RRP if the car turns up.

For some who don't want to wait then there is an option at a higher price (e.g. $125k)
    it was started by some private sellers, they created a bit of a stir back then but people were willing to pay for it.

The thing that I can't get my head around is, why Toyota dealers themselves also do the price jacking
    I don't understand why Toyota dealership would do such a thing....

yeah ok, they make an extra $30k each but the bad reputation and greediness are all over their forehead now.
    Flyblown likes this.

the tax will put most off. Just about $6000 on a new hilux now