Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Cop beaten and side arm taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    And much past 7 metres the accuracy is terrible as shown by the high fail rate of NZ police accuracy tests.

This is a procedure thing pure and simple, in fact OSH should be stepping in and fining the police for procedure fails.
    WIREHUNT you dont know what the hell you are talking about. Police arrest people with Warrants daily when they are found out and about. This is normal procude and there is no back up steps for one man stations to call for other staff. He was not at the offenders address looking for him he was in a public area. City staff have 2 up cars which turn the tide a lot more then 1 up cars.

If you know what the procedures are then you could comment, OSH has nothing to do with it. Police work like this all the time and he used all that he had to stop the people attacking him before he even got to the pistol.

7mmwwsm
    Thankyou for a proper view on things, public live in there bubble and have no idea what happens on the street until it happens to them or they see it on the news and arm chair comments are great when they are not the ones doing the job.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    And much past 7 metres the accuracy is terrible as shown by the high fail rate of NZ police accuracy tests.

This is a procedure thing pure and simple, in fact OSH should be stepping in and fining the police for procedure fails.
    Wirehunt in my opinion the NZ Police will have conducted risk analysis of their common tasks / situations in conjunction with serving officers and they will have prepared safe work methods in conjunction with and taking into consideration the field experience of serving officers and they will have inducted and trained their officers in them. I think this because that is what any employer needs to do in order to ensure a safe work place. However, the best training in the world will never completely mitigate the exposure to incident in a role where there are so many variables.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Banned
    I have to agree, 5 on one shoot one then overrun by other four could be another story.reality is to have more cop's imo

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Wirehair whats your point about thinking he was good? Your comment appears to me to be derogatory toward our police.
    Griff is a sole charge officer whos next nearest station is about 60km away in Ototrohanga. He has done a great job of cleaning up numerous peices of shit like these in the past, so it would have started as a routine operation for him. He didn't go around to their place to bust them there. If that was the case he would most likely have taken backup. They were on the wharf so he would have had to take advantage of the opportunty available. To wait for backup from the nearest available source(which the media stated was Cambridge, about 100 km away) would have meant the offenders would have vacated the area by the time backup arrived. And then these peices of shit work out that policing is actually an hour away and start using that to their advantage. I presume most sole charge officers around NZ would have acted exactly the same as Griff did.
    Nothing derogatory in it 7mmwsm, it's a stated fact by the NZ police itself. They are terrible shots as a rule with a high accuracy fail rate. So why would he go in if he felt so unsafe that unless there was a gun on board he might be in trouble.
    But if you read the article it states "He had discussed with his supervisor the need to have all his tactical options on him," Lindsay said. So they had talked about it before hand. If they had time to talk about this one thing then they also had time to talk about other options. Maybe one like sit back and wait for backup?... Just a suggestion.

Or to put it another way, workplace health and safety would fine him maybe, his supervisor defiantly plus the company (police) if this was any other workplace incident.

ebf
    hope you never have to call on the police to help you in rural NZ, coz in your OSH world all the single-cop-on-duty stations would be closed

seriously mate, I think you've gone a bit off the reservation here. you'd fine them, i'd rather give them recognition for doing an extremely difficult and dangerous job, and wish this particular guy a speedy recovery.
    Savage1 likes this.

Banned
    I have a few cop mates who i joyride with all the time and doing warrant checks ,for a laugh theyd get me to do the check but there was still three of us at the time.Single cpos are always singled out as is what happens in dannevirke all to often under staffd is what the problem is IMO .handguns will only get you you so far i beleive we need more cops in the rural areas.

Sounds like Bernie is in the know here...not many people use "1up" without knowing what it actually is.... I'm obviously biast but thank you NZPolice!!! I love you (seriously I do!)
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

I certainly hope that the guy makes a full recovery ,tough guy doing a hard job we all need to be great full to these people.They doing their best to keep our communities safe places . I think when we factor Meth; into these situations perhaps a harder line needs to be adopted ,apparently pepper stray isn't doing it.Maybe the side arm should be used in the 1st instance.
    I have a cousin was attacked while doing her duty ,now unable to work as a result of the bone in her nose being pushed back into her brain.On permanent medication to keep her functioning with some semblance of normality.
    Gun control means using both hands

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    IMO .handguns will only get you you so far i beleive we need more cops in the rural areas.
    Spot on! At the very least any rural cops should have a dog.

ebf quote "hope you never have to call on the police to help you in rural NZ, coz in your OSH world all the single-cop-on-duty stations would be closed

seriously mate, I think you've gone a bit off the reservation here. you'd fine them, i'd rather give them recognition for doing an extremely difficult and dangerous job, and wish this particular guy a speedy recovery."

Never said it wasn't a dangerous job or difficult. But it is also no where near the most dangerous OR difficult job in NZ. Yet we seem to be working on the usual different standards for different people thing yet again. It's called risk assessment. The rest of us have to abide by it (OR ELSE!!).
    veitnamcam likes this.

This is a "live in" Police job out there. The guy is sole officer, lives there, technically on duty 24 hours. Backup is 45 minutes away in another district as such. Population maybe 600. Knows most people by first name basis. This is like being an outback sheriff but without deputies. Sad to see everyone stood back and just watched, obviously these guys have put some fear into the residents. Places like this sadly dont get backup, just mop up.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Wirehunt in my opinion the NZ Police will have conducted risk analysis of their common tasks / situations in conjunction with serving officers and they will have prepared safe work methods in conjunction with and taking into consideration the field experience of serving officers and they will have inducted and trained their officers in them. I think this because that is what any employer needs to do in order to ensure a safe work place. However, the best training in the world will never completely mitigate the exposure to incident in a role where there are so many variables.
    I agree to a point. Then add adrenalin into the equation and thing's go astray, procedures get forgotten, corners cut etc. Same in any trade.

Yes Wirehunt you are a long way off.

If OSH had anything to do with it then Police would never be able to do their job, like sending OSH inspectors over with our troops to a warzone.

Have you ever been in a close quarters fight with a person and had your adrenalin pumping then tested your accuracy with a heavy triggered Glock? Pretty harsh to slag off their marksmanship just because others can shoot a 50c piece at 100m at a range.

Do you know how much time goes into training a dog? And when working alone they can become a liability in group situations?

Really looking at the basic facts the officer would have been justified in shooting the people attacking him, but imagine the headlines today. I'm sure there is more to this story than we have been told.
    SIKAHUNTER, Dougie and ebf like this.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Have you ever been in a close quarters fight with a person and had your adrenalin pumping then tested your accuracy with a heavy triggered Glock? Pretty harsh to slag off their marksmanship just because others can shoot a 50c piece at 100m at a range.
    One problem Savage, this is at police ranges without that pressure.

One problem Savage, this is at police ranges without that pressure.
    Where are you getting Police range score information from?
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yep this could well have ended in a dead cop and a pistol in the hands of a criminal.
    Shit the cops need more controls on their firearms!!