Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Firearms licence waiting times

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by BobGibson View Post
    I applied in Oct 2016 for a Dec 25th 2016 expired licence. Got my renewed FAL 5 days ago.
    So thats 7 months
    The delays are becoming ridiculous. There is a case to be made to privatise this process.
    outdoorlad likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Just as an aside it took me 13 days from electronic submission to paperwork in hand for an import permit. Clearly some in the bureaucracy are more efficient than others.

Another proof that the " poor" police are under resourced and would struggle even more with the burden of an eventual register to maintain?
    10-Ring and Steve123 like this.

Some things that help speed up the process are Referees that are easily contacted. In some cases it takes weeks just to contact the 3 for interviews, if you can have then in the same area you live otherwise the file is sent all over the country which takes time. Also if you are contacted by an officer do your best to make yourself available for the time they ask to do the interview. They may have a large area to cover and your particular spot may only be visited every couple of weeks. Have your security up to scratch so the Officer doesn't have to come back when next in the area.

Did my P endorsement drivers licence. 10 - 12 weeks to process and remember everything on that is done at the counter.
    10-Ring likes this.

My firearms L renewal last year took about 7-8 weeks from submitting form to turning up in mail. I renewed my drivers L on a Friday afternoon and had that card in the mail Monday morning.... Rural delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by Towely View Post
    My firearms L renewal last year took about 7-8 weeks from submitting form to turning up in mail. I renewed my drivers L on a Friday afternoon and had that card in the mail Monday morning.... Rural delivery.
    The nz police need to get on the same level as the NZTA!!
    By law, you are required to turn on your headlights if it's raining in Sweden.

How the hell am I supposed to know if it's raining in Sweden?

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJanitar View Post
    The nz police need to get on the same level as the NZTA!!
    There's a substantial difference between renewing a driver's licence and renewing a firearms licence.
    .300 RUM Guy likes this.

One of the issues I was warned about was the printing process backlog. The cops were getting the approvals side all doen but the printing was done in wellington and the place that does the printing was closed after the november quakes. They have apparently started to catch up no but this was the reason given for some of the delays. It probably did not help they were running behind at the time the quakes hit either...

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    There's a substantial difference between renewing a driver's licence and renewing a firearms licence.
    There's also a substantial difference between the efficiency of the NZTA system and the nz police licensing department

On a serious note, I'm well aware of that yes. But I do think there are steps they can/should take to reduce the waiting time judging from the stories ive heard..
    veitnamcam and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    This is probably a dick move, but someone had suggested me to fill out dissatisfaction form online on the time its taking to print licence (I filled it after waiting 3 months and needed it for an auction on TradeMe) and the licence came within 42 hours after I filled the form out. Some other members also mentioned filling that form out will most likely get your licence in mail within 1 or 2 days, but kind of a dick move since your licence gets bumped to the top of the list over everyone else just cause we complained.
    Is that a known fact? Might contemplate doing the same in about 3-4weeks if I spot something ideal on trademe or on the forums.

The arms officer I handed the paperwork to said I should expect to wait 2 months. 8 weeks or so.

It helps if you weren't silly like me and hand the paperwork into the wrong police station as you only had a lunch break to use when the arms officer is actually working. I was meant to hand it in to the inner city branch. But I was all the way in takanini.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Applied for my renewal last week. The vetting guy came to see me today at my office and then shot round a talked to the Mrs and check the security. Told me there would be a wait for the card, so we will see. He did say if I needed to I can contact them to have them confirm I do hold a licence before the new one arrives.

Just received mine this morning. Maybe they thought I should get it in time for duck opening day ? :-)
    Did paperwork early February , so it is not too bad.

Gone but not forgotten
    I did my paperwork in late Jan, had interview first week of Feb, received new license mid March.

The email address to check progress of your license renewal is project.firearms@police.govt.nz
    They replied to me in 24 hours. My renewal took 2 months start to finish.
    veitnamcam likes this.