Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Will getting two pups stop them yelping ?

Will getting two pups stop them yelping ?

Ive currently got one pup and thinking of getting another to keep it company when im at work as the missus is an icu nurse and works nightshifts so she needs to sleep during the day.

Will this work, with the 2 pups keeping each other company or will I end up with 2 yelpers ? Would it work if I got an older dog for company ?

We live rural and pups will be in a 20 metre by 10 metre run between 9 n 3 only till they get a few months older, in which case they will come to work with me.

Only had it since the sat arvo and man can it yelp the place down. My ears can stand it until the dog eventually "gets it",but cant stand the missus's howling in my ears.

upside is I wouldn't mind having 2 WHP's...
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

Not too sure bro but in my experience, old dogs don't have the energy (or playfulness) to keep a young dog happy so you'd have to go young I think. My 2c.
    Yeah nah bro

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt.

get the pup into a routine and stick to it, you must have expected a few days for the pup to settle.

getting two will not fix the one, in fact you will then have double the training and social manners to find time for and the first pup will miss out in the end.
    ask your self do you want two half arsed trained dogs or one that is fully trained.
    i'm on my first 'gwp' pup in five years I wouldn't have time to train two at a time and I even have the facilities to do it.
    {i'm training a cocker too though lol }
    Wirehunt, veitnamcam and mikee like this.

ebf
    put the pup in bed with your missus, no more yelping
    Dundee and username like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Im trying to get the pup into a routine.. I was thinking the first dog would be a hunting dog and the second one mostly a pet and breed them after a few years.

" My ears can stand it until the dog eventually "gets it " meant until the pup understands its routine.

ebf.. she would likely give it one of my hunting boots to chew on to keep it quiet..
    ebf likes this.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

Quote Originally Posted by kawhia View Post
    get the pup into a routine and stick to it, you must have expected a few days for the pup to settle.

getting two will not fix the one, in fact you will then have double the training and social manners to find time for and the first pup will miss out in the end.
    ask your self do you want two half arsed trained dogs or one that is fully trained.
    i'm on my first 'gwp' pup in five years I wouldn't have time to train two at a time and I even have the facilities to do it.
    {i'm training a cocker too though lol }
    Best advise I have read, I know we got 2 pointer pups at the same time, HUGE mistake but thats life. Won't be doing it that way next time.
    veitnamcam and Munsey like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Like they said , big ask too train two pups .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

OK..one it is then..

Try turning a TV on at low volume, might help to keep it company and not disturb Mrs. It's company or something to distract them that they need at that age.
    Muzzleloaders have big balls

SiB
    The old clock in the towel trick? Does that help?

Pups are baby dogs. They need to learn...
    The bitch will typically sort out the pup, in your instance you are the parent. You need to sort em out, (not hammer it) but be firm with it, and like the above posts aptly said have some routine around their discipline, walks, and social interaction.

Dan
    Dan M

I'm lucky in that in the forty odd years I've been keeping dogs I have had very few barkers and those I did have were soon gone. Barking in the kennel, as opposed to yelping as a pup, is a very bad habit and the chances are that if you have one barker and can't sort it out you will have two barkers. On the other hand if you know what you are doing you can keep a whole kennel full of dogs quiet.

Whether you can successfully train two dogs is more about you than the dogs.
    EeeBees likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    The old clock in the towel trick? Does that help?
    i put a clock in with my first pup many years ago, went to check in the morning the clock was eaten
    veitnamcam, EeeBees and gunner161 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by des oneile View Post
    I'm lucky in that in the forty odd years I've been keeping dogs I have had very few barkers and those I did have were soon gone. Barking in the kennel, as opposed to yelping as a pup, is a very bad habit and the chances are that if you have one barker and can't sort it out you will have two barkers. On the other hand if you know what you are doing you can keep a whole kennel full of dogs quiet.

Whether you can successfully train two dogs is more about you than the dogs.
    very tue, des where abouts in n Ireland are you, I,m in co derry and the same surname as yourself

Quote Originally Posted by the scudd View Post
    i put a clock in with my first pup many years ago, went to check in the morning the clock was eaten
    I suppose, Scudd, the hours and minutes passed eventually
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...