Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 223, fmj ADI load data question

223, fmj ADI load data question

Hey guys,

This may be a dumb question but I can't find load data for adi 2206h or benchmark 2 or any other more common powder for hornady 223 55gr fmj-bt, on the adi website.

Can any one explain why that would be? I'm a newbie and was planning to start safe with a similar projectile with a heavier pill and go from there but I found it odd that ADI had data on that pill but not for the expected powders.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    Hey guys,

This may be a dumb question but I can't find load data for adi 2206h or benchmark 2 or any other more common powder for hornady 223 55gr fmj-bt, on the adi website.

Can any one explain why that would be? I'm a newbie and was planning to start safe with a similar projectile with a heavier pill and go from there but I found it odd that ADI had data on that pill but not for the expected powders.

Cheers
    Looking on the ADI website Data – Rifle – ADI World Class Powders and Ammunition for a .223 with a 55 gr projectile there was a Benchmark 2 load listed.

Start low and work your way up.

When I was loading for a .223 with 2208 my load was higher than the recommended ADI max (for an 80gr projectile) but it was safe and competitive in my rifle - but I worked my way up to that load.

Yeah there are 55gr pills on the adi website but just the way there was very little for the hornady fmj bt seemed like a red flag.

I would have thought I would have data there for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rn-85 View Post
    Yeah there are 55gr pills on the adi website but just the way there was very little for the hornady fmj bt seemed like a red flag.

I would have thought I would have data there for it.
    Any 55gr projectile data gives you a starting point.
    Start low or in the middle of the range suggested and work your way up.

The ADI data is for their test configuration which probably doesn't match your rifle.

I've never found that manufacturer (powder or projectile) data matches my rifle.
    I only use it as a starting point for my load development.

Sweet, I'll have a play with what's on hand.

Thanks heaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Any 55gr projectile data gives you a starting point.
    Start low or in the middle of the range suggested and work your way up.

The ADI data is for their test configuration which probably doesn't match your rifle.

I've never found that manufacturer (powder or projectile) data matches my rifle.
    I only use it as a starting point for my load development.
    I use the same load with 2208 for the 55gn fmj and the hornady SP’s
    No change in point of aim.

Seating depth is critical for their accuracy.

Punch in ( Gordons Reloading Tool )& have a play.
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 313
Size:  263.9 KB
    Oldbloke and will.i.em like this.

its 55grn projectile...24.5grns of 2206h was my go to load for 20 plus years.
    stop over thinking it..untill about 15 years ago when mono projectiles and super sleak projectiles camo out you DIDNT have projectile specific data..you had how much powder for each projectile WEIGHT ..... and because we are all good reloaders we started 5-10% low and worked our way up if only had one powder weight...or started on start load and worked up to maximum load if had both sets of data....stopping if hit pressure signs via flattened primer,swipe marks on base of case ,stiff bolt lift or combination of any nd all three.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Greetings,
    The closest data for the 55 grain FMJ will be that listed for the 55 grain Speer soft point in the ADI/ Hodgdon data. The listed max for AR2206H is 26 grains and for BM2 25.6 grains. I have used 25.5 grains of AR2206H with the 55 grain Hornady soft point for many years which is about all you can fit in without compression in Winchester cases. In my TX3* velocity is around 3,150 fps. Hornady soft point and FMJ projectiles are both quite soft so the same data can be used. Loads still need to be worked up from below and a chronograph will detect higher than expected velocity and pressure. Make sure that your cases are US made as much of the continental stuff is heavier and will develop higher velocity and pressure. The .223 and its big brother the .308 are both easy to load for and you have to try hard to get into trouble. Feel free to post or PM your components, especially cases as I may have more info.
    Regards Grandpamac.

so.....24.5 of AR2206H will put you 1 grn below maximum which equates to ROUGHLY 5% giving wiggle room for different case internal measurements or slight batch differences......

Quote Originally Posted by flock View Post
    Punch in ( Gordons Reloading Tool )& have a play.
    Attachment 229183
    +1 for GRT.

Hey guys,

I really appreciate the coaching so far. I've made a few loads I started at 25gr and went up to 25.2, 25.5, 25.7. At 25.5 they rounds don't rattle when I shake them. Does that meanits compressed? I was thinking of stopping at 25.8 seeing 26 is the max. Thoughts?

For reference:
    adi case
    Federal primer
    Hornady 224 55gr fmj bt
    2206h

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

leave it there UNTILL you test them...chances are one of those loads will be better grouping that the others...NOW ME ...would just use that load forevermore and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    leave it there UNTILL you test them...chances are one of those loads will be better grouping that the others...NOW ME ...would just use that load forevermore and be happy.
    Well I ended up making 2 ladders one in BM2 and the other in 2206h. Well see how they group next range day.

What differences do you normally do your ladder tests?

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

I dont.....cause my mate made me some .223 loads at 24.5grns of 2206h 25 years ago and my rifle poked them into group smaller than an inch..so thats what I duplicated for 20 years...and used same charge with 50grn too... only in last 5 years when loading some barnes have I tweaked powder charge up a little...its accurate and it kills ,my brass lasts well so I leave things alone.
    Ive been lucky in that I can throw a mixture of loads through rifle and they will still group together... makes life really easy.... think about your end game,how accurate do you really need??? unless your headshooting bunnies at 250 yards you can get by with much less than thumbnail size grouping.... by going inch or below it does anything I want out to 200 yards with ease.