Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 223, fmj ADI load data question

Greetings @Rn-85,
    I don't do ladder tests as such as it takes around 10 rounds per step to give any meaningful indication of long term precision. I will usually look through the various data to see what a likely max load is and then load and chronograph a safe starting load to validate or correct the data. This will give me a probable max for the velocity level that I will work to. Next I work up in pretty large steps to that level chronographing as I go. This gives me a load that I can fiddle with to improve accuracy if needed. With the .223 and .308 it seldom is. Will post more tomorrow.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    zimmer, Micky Duck and Rn-85 like this.

Greetings @Rn-85 and all,
    The original ladder test, developed by Creighton Audette, was to fire a series of single rounds loaded with small increasing increments of powder charge. This was done at several hundred metres looking for series of shots that were closer together than others. What it has come to mean for many is firing a series of separate 3 shot groups at 100 yards or metres with small increments of increased powder charge. Often one fluke small group is fixated on rather than a progression of tightening and spreading of groups and variation of the position of groups on the target. To me establishing a likely maximum velocity for the rifle, based on several load data sources and working up to that quickly makes more sense. The components saved can be used for fine tuning the load or shooting stuff in the field.
    With regard to your loads @Rn-85 try to get someone to chronograph them for you as this will show how your rifle is performing. Your ADI cases should weigh close to 97 grains with primer installed which is the same as the Winchester cases I have weighed and around average for most US cases. The Hodgdon/ ADI data is loaded in Win cases so your results should be close. In my T3 Lite 25.5 grains of AR2206H chronographs around 3,150 fps, close to the Hodgdons data once charge and barrel length are allowed for.
    There is a Handloaders Club in Christchurch that could be worth looking into if you have not already done so.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    zimmer likes this.

Yeah thats different than I thought how it was meant to be. I use the handloaders range, but membership is out of the budget at the moment.

I did find that a load with bm2 got me a 1/2" at 100m.

I'm stoked with that result. I think I'll setup some varmint loads next and shoot hares, cats and rabbits over 100m with it.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

get out a vivid felt tip pen and write that BM2 loads data on the wall..including overall length..... so you dont loose it.
    FWIW swapping projectiles of same weight only changes bugger all for me in my rifles....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I record OAL with the load. And I have an ideal OAL from when I measured the jam distance.

I keep it all in a book with diary entries. Otherwise who knows what I'll assume.

So I could make a load the same as the fmj and load the varmint bullets and I'll be near enough? In theory...

yip it works for me....

Well the load with bm2 is within max and min for that projectile so should be safe. I'll load up 20 for my next bunny session.

Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    yip it works for me....
    Can I interchange flat bottoms and boat tails too?

again...I do.... thats the beauty of NOT being at top of the powder charge range..for sure I sacrifice a bit of velocity BUT I gain wiggle room....I wont go over pressure unless do something really silly like load projectiles over 55grn.

Cheers. I appreciate the clarification. I did stupid once or twice. Pretty keen not to revisit it.

Micky Duck likes this.

grab your reloading manual...and see what 24.5grns of AR2206h looks like over 45-55grn loads and you will see what I mean

Cheers, okay