Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: 270 and superformance

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    @Moa Hunter and I have been having an ongoing disagreement about SSTs, but I think it's horses for courses. I chose them for the high BC at a pretty decent price point. Tried 130 SSTs, 130 Berger VLDs and 150 ALBRs, but couldn't get the same balance of accuracy & velocity as I did with the 140s.

Sure, I've lost a couple of animals with them, but I can't discount shooter error and I've had a lot of good results on both tahr and reds. I wonder if the bad rap they get is at the lower end of the weight for caliber.
    I have another friend Andrew, who had a heap of SST's reloaded for him and I have spent hours looking for deer that have been well hit but run off with him. He doesnt use them now. My friend Toby was using the 154 SST in his 7m08 - so pretty similar to 270. The deer average 10 litres of damaged trim and still run.
    I think the reason people esp reloading outfits use them is that they generally shoot very well, which is true of most thin jacketed bullets but they give up game performance in exchange.
    Now with your 7wsm the SST would be a really bad choice imo

@Moa Hunter interesting
    From what I've read on here the 130 set's are very explody but the 150s are.meant to be not too bad.
    Which is a bugger as not I let do I have a bunch of hand loaded 130s to muck with, I also have nearly a hundy 150s.
    But i also have a box of 150 oryx instead.
    Mind you from discussion with you 27p gurus blog stock 130gr winny and feds do fine
    Micky Duck likes this.

I’ve shot boars at point blank with a 270 and Superformance, nothing soft about them, I’d note I am not a fan of the SP powder, think R19 and the boring 2213sc was far more accurate and consistent in .270.

I was also at 57 ish SP and the SST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    Dan M

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    @257weatherby was it you who said the 150ssts are pretty good but to avoid the 130s like the plague?
    Yep. 150SST is good.
    Micky Duck and superdiver like this.

Banned
    Projectiles are the cheapest part of hunting so to me it makes sense to use really good quality bonded bullets. Its like spending heaps on a good boat to go fishing and then buying cheap arse hooks. @Stocky and I have debated this matter at length and I think that in calibres that have the suitable projectiles available, he is correct that a 'heavy for calibre soft projectile going slow is the most reliable in all situations. With high velocity calibres like 270, 2506, 22 250, 243 etc where the heavy for cal option isnt actually an option and velocity and temporary wound channel is where its at, a tougher bullet is better imo. As Danny B says above - the 270 is only a 400 metre rifle anyway
    Danny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I think the reason people esp reloading outfits use them is that they generally shoot very well, which is true of most thin jacketed bullets but they give up game performance in exchange.
    Now with your 7wsm the SST would be a really bad choice imo
    Agreed - shouldn't be too worried about shooting flat & fast now Gonna be a while before I'm reloading for it, hopefully the current ammo shortage has passed by then and I have a raft of options - which I believe is the original reason for this thread
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Projectiles are the cheapest part of hunting so to me it makes sense to use really good quality bonded bullets. Its like spending heaps on a good boat to go fishing and then buying cheap arse hooks. @Stocky and I have debated this matter at length and I think that in calibres that have the suitable projectiles available, he is correct that a 'heavy for calibre soft projectile going slow is the most reliable in all situations. With high velocity calibres like 270, 2506, 22 250, 243 etc where the heavy for cal option isnt actually an option and velocity and temporary wound channel is where its at, a tougher bullet is better imo. As Danny B says above - the 270 is only a 400 metre rifle anyway
    some might argue a 150grn 270 IS heavy for calibre...a 160grn factory loading from lapua sure raises eyebrows and the 170 grn fence posts I chuck out there are on par with a 200grn 30 calibre loading.
    the ONLY load Ive had issues with killing preformance wise in 30 something years of 270 usage was a 110grn varmit hp from hornady...pefect on wallabies and hares but far to volitle for anything bigger/harder...blew one up on shoulder of fallow yearling,it screamed ....like a goat does,130grn norma sp finished job. the hole in pelt is saucer sized...never again would I wrong class of projectile in 270.

TLB
    Interesting to see people's views on the 130gr sst. I have shot maybe 30 deer in the last 12 months with them including 9 stags this roar and they just work. No shortage of bang flops from 50 yards through to just over 500. Nice half inch groups at 100 out of two tikkas, usually reload but can't beat the group of the 130gr superformance factory ammo so just reload for other calibers instead. Does 3090 fps.
    Seems people have a bad experience with any bullet, I certainly have had a few over the years.
    mawzer308 likes this.

TLB
    And as for the 270 being a 400 yard caliber, may have been the case when you could only get low velocity producing powders and low bc bullets.
    tikka here on the forum and a few others whom I personally know including myself that have shot deer out over 700 yards and I'm pretty sure they didn't know it wasn't a magnum killing them. Think the furthest one of our long range ones has gone might be 30 yards but most don't even make it that far. They have all been with the eldx but tikka on here was shooting them further with the nosler lrab.

Well that was a dismal failure. I am yet to have much luck getting a load done on this rifle including the last time I messed around with it. This time it was even worse. Very poor accuracy. Going to try another powder and failing that i’ll be telling him to buy a Tikka.

humor me and try something plain...preferably from speer....better still round nose....
    257weatherby likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TLB View Post
    And as for the 270 being a 400 yard caliber, may have been the case when you could only get low velocity producing powders and low bc bullets.
    tikka here on the forum and a few others whom I personally know including myself that have shot deer out over 700 yards and I'm pretty sure they didn't know it wasn't a magnum killing them. Think the furthest one of our long range ones has gone might be 30 yards but most don't even make it that far. They have all been with the eldx but tikka on here was shooting them further with the nosler lrab.
    No doubt they have the beans to shoot further my 400yard comment was more related to how far I was comfortable and confident using it, looking back at it my comment doesn't read that way but I knew what I meant .
    270 and eldx go together like peas and carrots
    #DANNYCENT

If (when/ever...?) the 6.8 Western actually becomes a thing, it will be interesting to see if manufacturers change the .270 barrel twist spec (an possibly throating) to keep up with higher B.C .277 bullets...

Anyone run the 170 grain Berger https://bergerbullets.com/introducin...-elite-hunter/ ?

Can't see why 6.8 is better than 7mm...

.270 IS TRUE 7MM .....measure a projectile.....
    I dont run those pointy plurry bergers I run PROPER hunting projectiles...170grn speer round nose .277
    its a funny thing when you run the numbers on these fence posts...the trajectory isnt half bad....

I suspect the crown has not been done very good as it was chopped and done as a mates hookup. Got one more test to run and then i’ll be telling him to go get it checked out by a gunsmith. He ran some simple soft nose projectiles through it the other day before it came to me and they were very poor aswell.
    Micky Duck likes this.