Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: .270 win load development - Which charge weight do you think?

Speed isn't necessarily the answer to getting to 300 without the need for turret adjustments or holdover, zeroing distance is also an answer as said above. A 3-9 is perfect for point and shoot unless it's rabbits any if those loads if "aimed at a furry bit" will do the job.

Just an update have loaded up 8 rounds of 55.5gr and 56gr. Considering it only has a 22.5" barrel I am pretty happy with sitting just on or just under 3000fps with acceptable accuracy. If they group up all right then should be good to go.
    Micky Duck, BSA270, rewa and 2 others like this.

With a 22 inch bbl and a 130 gn, 3000 to 3050 fps is about the most you will get with most powders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rewa and Floundering Around like this.

another thought on this...if the 130grn sst is going to be your projectile of choice..these have reputation as being very explody so a slightly lesser velocity might actually be better preformance wise.
    Ive got 20 or so loaded up to use on wallabies and just never seem to get around to using them lol.
    the 140grn version was very very accurate for me and gave no issues..that was one of the early batches,got given them and had no idea what they were as hadnt seen red plastic tip before..used to the yellow NBTs....which I rate highly.
    rewa likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I have heard of that @Micky Duck.

I used them in my old load for this rifle which was a bit slower. Always had good effect with them, dropped a dozen or so animals outright, they didn't even get a chance to walk or run. But I do suppose that load was going a lot slower and because that load was so accurate i always managed to find the crease and avoid most of the shoulder bones.

Fingers crossed they stay intact! Usually I have a good 1-200m between me and my target anyway, although not always.
    Micky Duck likes this.