Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: 300WSM loading options (homework)

Do it proper and re barrel in 7mm SAUM

I was using 178gr ELDX in 20” barrel using Re17. Was getting 2840 fps. Have since dropped down to 168gr AMAX and 18” barrel doing 2850 fps with 64 gr Re17. Still plenty of energy well out past where I’d shoot to. Run some 165 interlock for bush stuff and run AMAX for further stuff. Great little short package
    Borris likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stagstalker View Post
    Do it proper and re barrel in 7mm SAUM
    7mm anything is the new 6.5 almost impossible to get projectiles
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I agree not a huge amount in it, it's about making the rifle nicer to carry and shoot off hand by shortening the barrel whilst keeping the same or close to it performance. In the case of the heavier 30 cal pills it is and only ever so slightly better performance out of a shorter barrel. if I was only doing it for projectile performance and ballistics you're right not worth it/much in it, but when you add that it will make the rifle nicer to carry, travel with and shoot off hand these are the factors that I'm looking for.
    I think you missing my point still bud......I dropped velocity from what you getting now at 75fps per inch removed.... so you DO GET the nicer to carry and shoot off hand thing,while still having terminal preformance more than ok..... pretty sure you not going to drop 75....depending on cartridge it can be as low as 25fps... 75 was worst case .... but you big boy and know what your doing...Im only trying to point out how green the grass is on your side of fence before you risk your knackers climbing over the barbed wire.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Why not its awesome .................................................. .................just with 24 inch barrel and suppressor it all gets a little awkward
    because..this fine fella...just sold a dirty06 that was shooting really well to regain possesion of the 270wsm that he had foolishly sold earlier and regretted it immediately.... he was happy chap when managed to regain rifle possession...thus my puzzlement over the want to change.... LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I think you missing my point still bud......I dropped velocity from what you getting now at 75fps per inch removed.... so you DO GET the nicer to carry and shoot off hand thing,while still having terminal preformance more than ok..... pretty sure you not going to drop 75....depending on cartridge it can be as low as 25fps... 75 was worst case .... but you big boy and know what your doing...Im only trying to point out how green the grass is on your side of fence before you risk your knackers climbing over the barbed wire.
    I do get what your saying.....but the 300wsm will still do it better, won't be turfing the 270 barrel or components till new one is proven....or disproven
    #DANNYCENT

LOL.... all is good bud..all is good.

I use 200gn eldx in mine (20 inch barrel) 2750fps. Shoots good as far as I want. Can repeatably hit things far away. I don't dial but use holdover on a B&C reticle
    400m is as far as I am interested in shooting on live game

Could go faster as load is middle of range for powder charge but why bother, dead is dead.

Basically I was trying to recreate my mates 30.06 in a bit handier package which it is
    What action are you using ? And what is you tip to base length ? Just put those numbers into strelok and that's pretty impressive

Name:  Screenshot_20220418-191843_Strelok.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  590.7 KB
    #DANNYCENT

What action are you using ? And what is you tip to base length ? Just put those numbers into strelok and that's pretty impressive

Attachment 194979
    He mentioned in previous post it was a Montana(assuming kimber) and I'd guess sammi spec length if he is loading the same as length as factory ammo. Before you go down the path of rebarrel etc why not cut yours to 18-20 and see how it goes, or take some earplugs and shoot without suppressor. Be about same length as short 300wsm with suppressor

180gn nbt's dont stack up too badly either with a hslf decent bc of .507

Name:  Screenshot_20220418-193132_Strelok.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  599.4 KB
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
    He mentioned in previous post it was a Montana(assuming kimber) and I'd guess sammi spec length if he is loading the same as length as factory ammo. Before you go down the path of rebarrel etc why not cut yours to 18-20 and see how it goes, or take some earplugs and shoot without suppressor. Be about same length as short 300wsm with suppressor
    Won't be cutting the 270wsm barrel not a chance it's too good as it is and i can always refit it if things don't pan out the way i like.
    Originally i used to shoot the 270wsm with a brake it was much nicer to shoot offhand without the extra weight hanging off the end.
    #DANNYCENT

Anyone tried 2225 in 300WSM ?
    As other have stated 2225 is too slow for WSM. My go to WSM is Hybrid 100V pushing 180 Berger EH at 3040fps, 24in bbl. imagine that in a 20in bbl this would be running something like 2850-2900 fps.
    dannyb likes this.

Have tried Federal 175gn TLR projectiles and speed was approx 2930 from memory but easier to find the ELD-X and since the factory 200gn load shot so well I just tried to duplicate.

OAL of loaded round is 71.82mm from base of case to tip. 64gns 4000-MR powder and Federal Large Rifle Match primers, Hornady Brass
    Rifle is a Kimber Montana barrel cut to 20 inch with Vx3i 2.5-8x B&C Reticle, all very simple
    veitnamcam and dannyb like this.

Have tried Federal 175gn TLR projectiles and speed was approx 2930 from memory but easier to find the ELD-X and since the factory 200gn load shot so well I just tried to duplicate.

OAL of loaded round is 71.82mm from base of case to tip. 64gns 4000-MR powder and Federal Large Rifle Match primers, Hornady Brass
    Rifle is a Kimber Montana barrel cut to 20 inch with Vx3i 2.5-8x B&C Reticle, all very simple
    My current 270wsm load are 73.70mm base to tip so easily enough room, I am using Norma brass and likely will be either Norma or Federal brass when the 300wsm time comes, already have fed mag primers (just standard not match) and likely will be using 2209 powder as it's probably going to be easiest to source.....
    #DANNYCENT

dannyb i dont know much about you, you seem like a nice guy. But you need an intervention.

giving up reloading and selling rifles, then buying the lupo (eww) , then buying the 270 wsm back, now 300wsm rebarreling. Think you might need help. 300wsm is an awesome caliber. I wish my 30 nosler was a 300 wsm. Look up 'the pug 300wsm ' on rockslide forum that's a 20 inch 300wsm using heavies.

Good luck with your problem