Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes

Thread: 300WSM loading options (homework)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Yup gotta work with what's available I would happily work up a load with superformance or re17 but it's unobtainable as are 178gn eldm/x pills
    2209 will push em just fine will still achieve everything I need it too....even if it does shoot fireballs out the end
    Mate had a 21" tikka and used 2209 for 4 loads. 168 bergers, 168amax, 165ssts and 165 gamekings. All lethal at wsm speeds out a wee way, even the hp gamekings

I've just been down same path. 20" 300 WSM. Started with 168 LRABs @ 2950 with 2209 and now on 200gr ELDX @ 2740 with 61gr 2209. Tried super performance with the 200's but 2209 was just as good. Mate getting good results with N550 in his 19" 300 wsm with 165gr TTSX @ 3000. Good luck
    McNotty and dannyb like this.

Name:  20220422_185725.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  3.65 MB
    200gn eldx vs 145gn eldx
    Borris likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

More bullet = more betterer eh Danny ��
    veitnamcam, mikee and dannyb like this.

more deaderer perhaps????

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    More bullet = more betterer eh Danny ��
    Amen to that
    dannyb likes this.

Have you actually shot a 300 wsm Danny ? I had one in 2005 for two years. It was a sako 75 and it was just a pig for recoil.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan F View Post
    Have you actually shot a 300 wsm Danny ? I had one in 2005 for two years. It was a sako 75 and it was just a pig for recoil.
    No I haven't but...I'm 6'8 and about 120kgs recoil doesn't really bother me too much, it will be suppressed as well.
    Most of my shooting is prone, granted it may be a little spicy if I have to take the odd standing shot
    have owned a couple rem mags braked and un-braked suppressed and not also a 30-06 shooting 180n pills so I am aware of what heavier recoiling rifles are like.
    rifle fits me well and has a good limbsaver on it.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Its a Sako, enough said....................
    I had a mighty Poo Seventy Finnbear back in late eighties. I swear if you whatched me shoot it you would have seen me screw up my face and snatch at the trigger with a huge flinch.............................never go that with the M700 that replaced it.
    300WSM is a pussy cat in a properly stocked gun
    Micky Duck and Dusty Fog like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Its a Sako, enough said....................
    I had a mighty Poo Seventy Finnbear back in late eighties. I swear if you whatched me shoot it you would have seen me screw up my face and snatch at the trigger with a huge flinch.............................never go that with the M700 that replaced it.
    300WSM is a pussy cat in a properly stocked gun
    For reference mine is a Sako ,it will be in a Stug stock modelled off a finnlight stock, I find it very comfortable to shoot due to ol Stuggy making it a bit longer L.O.P to accommodate my Sasquatch like frame.
    When I get it all together I'll try take some slow mo footage of me shooting it, I'm sure I won't be flinching.

I also had a Finnbear in mighty 270win a few years ago and it was a pussycat to shoot due to being a heavy S.O.B
    #DANNYCENT

It was just awful. I shot a 7mmrum for years after that and it was beautiful to shoot in comparison. Hey if it doesn’t work you can always sell.

It was just awful. I shot a 7mmrum for years after that and it was beautiful to shoot in comparison. Hey if it doesn’t work you can always sell.
    or try loading a lighter pill....but that would defeat what I am trying to achieve.....I am confident however it will not be an issue.
    Nathan F likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

I’m 6,4 105kg and the wsm is no issue for me you’ll be fine . I’m not recoil shy either most of it’s in your head I remember a range officer at the handloaders club in christchurch far bigger man than me at 21 commenting “far .270 you must have big shoulders” asked what he meant and he got booted by one as a young fellah and mentally couldn’t fire one again not even as a large adult . I had similar with a shotgun very young but got past it a few years later
    dannyb likes this.

[QUOTE=dannyb;1307200]or try loading a lighter pill....but that would defeat what I am trying to achieve.....I am confident however it will not be an issue.[/QUOTE
    I actually think it was just the particular rifle I had. It was just a pig.
    dannyb likes this.

Good stock shape & design, good suppressor or brake, good technique = you’ll be fine.
    dannyb and Borris like this.