Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 35* long neck 7 SAUM based on WSM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    The 7mm BM is not far behind the 7mm Fatso velocity wise. I am not sure the benefits of a short action outweigh the amount of time spent on pissing around with brass to form the Fatso. But that's just me - I find brass prep to be a chore
    You are probably right but it is worth reading the article for a bit of perspective on different options and expectations.
    Gkp likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    What about putting a steeper shoulder on the 7mm Blaser Magnum? Could also neck down to 6.5??
    Pretty sure the 7BM Improved was Abe's (Tuiman) thing called the 284 Wizard wasn't it.

GWH
    I completely get the idea of messing about with something because you can to try and make improvements.

But i also tend to agree with the others, i dont think the results achieved will justify the messing about.

Ive just recently changed from 2217 to re26 in my 22" barreled 7mm SAUM (rem model 7).

I use to run 67.5gr of 2217 (full case compressed) for 3,005 fps with 162gr Amax. It was on the very top limit of pressure before excess pressure signs.

I now run 63gr of Re26, can hear powder rattling so it doesnt mess with my COAL like my 2217 load did.

Im now getting 3,090 fps (validated to 994 yards during the week) and that charge is 1.5 -2gr less than where i see the first excess pressure signs.

I could back off the charge of Re26 to get the flat 3k velocity i use to run but with less pressure than i did with 2217. Therefore potentially achieving your main goal of same performance with less pressure.

My 7Saum is a hunting rifle so I'll take the increase in ballistic performance any day.
    25 /08 IMP, Moa Hunter and Gkp like this.

Banned
    There is no doubt that some case designs are inherently more efficient and more accurate than others. I think that a case that has the same length to diameter vs calibre ratios as the well proven bench rest cartridges is where I would look as a start point