Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor reloading for hunting advice please.

6.5 Creedmoor reloading for hunting advice please.

Have a new Tikka T3X (laminate) in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Burris signature 3-15 installed. after a 6 shot barrel break in process its putting holes in holes at 100m with Nolsler 140 grn factory ammo (it showed pressure signs with the 120 grn??) so very happy with its performance so far. Question is, If I was to start building a hot hunting load what powder would I want if the opportunity presented itself? I am slowly paying off a Greystone 3k baffle suppressor so I am in no rush. I have a lee reloading kit, no dies yet, a pound of 6.5 staball, a pound of H 4350. Zero projectiles, though I think I know what to jump on, at least 400 primers (thank F##k). biggest thing I plan on shooting with said rifle would be a red doe with maybe a 300m cap.

Don't worry about load development until you have your surpressor, otherwise you will need to start all over again.
    I use Hodgdon superproformance or RL 26 in my Creedmoor and Hornady 143 eldx don't go looking for hot loads you just want a good accurate load with good speed.
    What length barrel are you going to cut it to

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Mroach, Bert 71 and 6.5 CRD like this.

get what you can get...THEN go from there...otherwise you will chase your tail...and if your still only talking sub 300 yards it really wont matter much what the hell you use.... pretty much any projectile between 120-150 grns will be ideal..... cup n core no need for fancy plastic tip..but get what you can get...KEEP ONE of those factory loads aside...use it to set up seating depth...yes others will tell you you NEED fancy pants measuring device,three pairs of toads legs and a twitch of elderberry crossed with hemlock in order to get it to shoot... but if your projectile is SIMILAR to what you have that works...if you set up seating die using your round...the new projectiles will be SIMILAR jump to rifling....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

sub 300 yards he wont need load development...... and adding suppressor simply dropped my poi by between 1-2 inches on 4 different rifles...did nothing else to group except maybe tighten them as I reacted less.

I intend on keeping as much barrel length as I can, so 21.5-22 inches (barrel is 22 inches I think) Yes sorry, I meant to say a fast accurate load.. probably 140 grain partitions or 143 ELD-X
    Steelisreal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mroach View Post
    I intend on keeping as much barrel length as I can, so 21.5-22 inches (barrel is 22 inches I think) Yes sorry, I meant to say a fast accurate load.. probably 140 grain partitions or 143 ELD-X
    The ELDX in the 6.5 works well my 20" is pushing it at 2800fps.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

is it not already threaded???? if so LEAVE IT ALONE...... your experience with last rifle should have taught you...if its not broken dont fcuk with it....

Thanks Micky, you just confirmed what I was pondering over COAL. havent measured the 120 grn Noslers as of yet though they appear from the naked eye to be the same length. Why would I get pressure signs from factory ammo? surely they aint that hot

every rifle is different.....every cartridge is different.... they may well be hot...but not outside saaami spec... your particular rifle may just consider them very warm. its not the 120grn bit that will be issue...it will be amount of bogie powder or the case themselves are slightly different and react differently in your chamber....
    EG in two different .308s a BLR and a zastava mauser bolt action both rifles the winchester 150grn power points were a warm load with sharp recoil and in both the 180grn of same was mild as heck...now in THEORY it should be other way around but its not....more than likely the amount of bogie powder is the difference

Its not an option unfortunately, if I lose any more hearing in my right ear the diving career is over. but I am sending it to Glen Maisey to do threading and I believe the greystone suppressors are good. apart from cleaning it, my amatuer gun tinkering days are over..
    Micky Duck likes this.

Roger that

I think that sort of performance is all I would need.

@Mroach - what were the 'pressure signs' that
    you're referring to? Did they have heavy bolt lift? Or was it that the primers are VERY flat in appearance?

If your rifle shoots the 140 Ballistic Tip really well then you already have your answer. A couple of days ago Reloaders had those projectiles available for a good price - much cheaper than current retail on the 143ELD-X! If you have 6.5 Staball and H4350 you can definitely create a 300m hunting load with ease. It will go plenty fast if you leave your barrel at 22" long. Load up a bunch and go shooting!
    Micky Duck and Husky1600#2 like this.

Heavy bolt lift, dents in the bottom of the case. primer looked ok? I fired 2 shots between cleaning.3 Round felt hard to chamber, I had greased the bolt lugs previously so switched to 140 grn to see if I could feel a difference. There was one so I ditched the 120's and continued with the 140's.. Thanksfor the heads up..Ammo is not cheap these days

hard t ochamber or hard to extract from chamber????

I meant are they not threaded from new???