Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor reloading for hunting advice please.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    ballistic tips are great......and if it was me......dual load,cheapest cup n core lead tipped for your 50-150 yard goats and 2nd load with ballistic tips for out long of if you feeling flash.... develop a tight shooting warm load with BTs and run with whatever shoots OK with the other....
    you use hell of a lot less components up and still be killing game with ease.
    and no need to apologize...Im just a cranky old fart....
    Agree with you on the dual load issue BUT. I say use a premium bullet which will hold together at higher velocities for the the short range stuff, something like a Nosler partition and then use a softer bullet for longer ranges, a bullet that will deform at lower velocities and make a decent wound channel. Something like a Hornady ELDM or a Sieera TMK.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

I see this mistake all the time, last time somebody mentioned heavy for caliber in 308 with 165 gr projectiles.
    A 165 gr in 30 cal has a sd of .248
    A 125 in 6.5 has a sd of 248
    A 125 gr partition in the .264 cal will kill the hell out of anything that walks on four legs in nz.
    Be interesting what speed one can screw out of the crudmoor.
    Rant over.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Im happy to resemble that remark...... but if he picks a middle of road load from manual...and then seats them as Ive suggested above,and they poke holes in paper in/around or under the inch mark.....well thats it job done,no need for further fluffing around,go shoot shit and be happy..and for crying out loud DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES go near a chronic graph.....
    (I can see Dannyb shaking his head and looking for jandles to throw at me) seriously,if its accurate just leave it alone...for what Mike is shooting,and the range he is shooting them at,no need for anything really super flash.... hell if his .223 wasnt a dud he could use that without any problems.
    That's still development
    Micky Duck and Roarless20 like this.

I've had good results out of the 143 eld x and 129 spire points in factory ammo. So much so that I don't bother reloading anymore. When Mucking around with handloads I got good velocity out of rl 16

The eldxs do a great job at lower velocities and will be a hammer at the ranges you are talking.