Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: 6.5prc

I’d be contacting Norma and complaining. Complaining constructively.

You never know what the response will be - from “tough shit” to “we’ve posted you a cheque”. I’ve had both ends of the spectrum.

I would be asking for an explanation for the low velocity, why the delta to the stated velocity is so big, and what they suggest can be done about it when reloading. It is possible that you get hold of a tech who will share with you some detail on what powder they have used, and how much. It would also be worth trying to find out what barrel they used in their testing, and how many shots it had already fired when used for testing.

only takes five minutes to go through the contact form on the website and you never know what might happen.
    300Shortmag likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Rl26 will be your friend @Tahr I used it with the 156 in my
    Saum for 3080fps
    Ive got plenty of it. Picks up the speed but poor grouping with the 142 eldx. Need to play with it some more.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

GWH
    Wow very interesting, id be somewhat dissappointed too.

As others have said if its a new barrel with less than 100 shots down it, you may find it could speed up by up to 100 fps once its had a few more down it.

It pays not to get too carried away with load development until after 100 or so rounds down the tube and it speeds up, otherwise you end up having to redo it.

All this sure makes my 7mm Saum seem attractive compared to the new kid on the block. 162 Amax at 3050 easy as from 22 inch tube from 63 gr of Re26. Can push harder up over 3100 but theres no need.

The Re26 goes good in my 24" 65 creed too, 143gr eldx at 2850 fps very accurately from 48gr. But this barrel was slow initially too.

My 24 " PRC does just over 3k with 58.1 gn of 2217 140 eldm , my 20" does 2950 with 56.5 of superperformance 143 eldx.
    Both rifles speed up after about 150 down the pipe.
    With 56.4gn of SP and a 130gn sst was at just on 3k with the 20".
    GWH and 300Shortmag like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doon View Post
    My 24 " PRC does just over 3k with 58.1 gn of 2217 140 eldm , my 20" does 2950 with 56.5 of superperformance 143 eldx.
    Both rifles speed up after about 150 down the pipe.
    With 56.4gn of SP and a 130gn sst was at just on 3k with the 20".
    Im 3130 with 124 Hammers and 20". Lethal. N565
    300Shortmag and Doon like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I bought a box of those Norma’s to try, 20” barrel and they were 2700fps but grouped well.
    300Shortmag likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Creedmoors looking better and better same speeds for 10gns less powder just about 22” . I’m very confident all these fresh barrels will speed up yet
    300Shortmag and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    You will probably find they will speed up a bit as your barrel breaks in properly.

I’m getting those speeds out of my Creedmoor give or take with a 143 grain ELD X and a 24 inch barrel… about 700m alt. on a warm day. It’s a fairly warm load of course.

Talking to my cuz who is running a semi-custom PRC in Colorado, he also wasn’t that impressed with the velocity gains. At the end of the day you are dealing with diminishing returns trying to get that case to push the 140s and 150s that much faster. Compared to the Creedmoor your powder charge is likely to be around a third heavier for a 10% max velocity gain, probably more like 7 or 8%.

If you can get the Berger to work like @veitnamcam then you are gaining a bit more thump down range as well thanks to the weight & BC.
    I'm running the 153 atip mine didn't like the bergers or at least it didn't when new it may do now.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Caretaker
    If you have to have a 6.5 consider the 6.5 rem mag

Easy to neck down 7mm rem mag brass

The 143/147 and heavier approach rem mag energy levels, and not the dramas of the rum cases necked down.
    300Shortmag and superdiver like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

This’ll make me sound like an old fella and I suppose I am getting old to be honest but my first rifle while at college was an old Mauser in 6.5x55 with the high rings so you could see through the iron sights or the scope depending on where you held your head. My best mate had a 7x57 , and we used to only buy Norma ammo from our local sports store as the European ammo was always significantly faster than the American loaded ammo loaded for European cartridges. I’m thinking this probably hasn’t changed hence the 200fps slower velocities than stated on box , the Norma certainly shoots fantastically so no complaints with that but fps is well down as confirmed by outdoor lad. Also nice to know my chrony is working ok. I’m betting if I can find a box of Hornady ammo it’ll be going way faster, will keep you all posted.

I found the same with Norma. Shoots awesome, 5 shot groups at 0.75MOA but slow. About 60 rounds down the barrel and averaging speed of 2840.

This is out of the bergara extreme 24" barrel.
    Name:  20221114_142359.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  2.82 MB

I should also mention that the Hornady eld x Precision Hunter factory ammo is going 2880. So Norma is not the only one going slower than stated. Might speed up a bit in another 40 rounds

With new barrels I wont be surprised if you pick up 100fps after you’ve had 100ish rounds down them. If you can find some basic components it’s worth putting 100 through it (letting the barrel cool of course) and doing some practice getting used to the rifle. After that then start your real development
    imaca likes this.

On the upside the bond strike killed well, Shot this fella yesterday at 25m, through the shoulder and exited, ran 10m before tipping over.

Name:  900FD322-E2D5-475C-853F-81A253D70055.jpeg
Views: 508
Size:  5.97 MB
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    On the upside the bond strike killed well, Shot this fella yesterday at 25m, through the shoulder and exited, ran 10m before tipping over.

Attachment 211347
    Was his head obscured ?