Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: 6.5prc

DBD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    Alright, I've joined the club. Looking forward to playing with a new caliber. Factory ammo to start so I can get used to it and build up some brass, reloading later.
    Well done, how much factory are you going to send through it to build up brass or run it in? What powder and projectiles are you going to use? Exciting times
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.
    It takes 20 barrels of water to make 1 barrel of beer...

Quote Originally Posted by DBD View Post
    Well done, how much factory are you going to send through it to build up brass or run it in? What powder and projectiles are you going to use? Exciting times
    Exciting is an understatement

So I've got 40 rounds already, Norma bondstrike ammo.

Powder I'll use 2217 or Superformance.

Projectiles I'm not 100 percent on yet, I've got @a box if 147 grain ELD-M and 50 140 grain Nosler BTs. No dies yet so I think I'll get another box of bondstrike next and then find some dies, so I'll have 60 ish pieces of fancey Norma brass from the get go. I'll get it threaded for a can at some point too.
    veitnamcam, DBD and 25/08 IMP like this.

My 6.5-284 (as close a cousin as you'll ballistically ) get to 6.5 PRC) build is coming together too, action arrives tomorrow, stock and barrel are in hand. I've also got cases and Superperformance ready to go. I've got a spare tub of SP if anybody needs some.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    My 6.5-284 (as close a cousin as you'll ballistically ) get to 6.5 PRC) build is coming together too, action arrives tomorrow, stock and barrel are in hand. I've also got cases and Superperformance ready to go. I've got a spare tub of SP if anybody needs some.
    More details mate? Sounds good a work mate of mine shoots 6.5-284 loves it

Gkp
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Wow very interesting, id be somewhat dissappointed too.

As others have said if its a new barrel with less than 100 shots down it, you may find it could speed up by up to 100 fps once its had a few more down it.

It pays not to get too carried away with load development until after 100 or so rounds down the tube and it speeds up, otherwise you end up having to redo it.

All this sure makes my 7mm Saum seem attractive compared to the new kid on the block. 162 Amax at 3050 easy as from 22 inch tube from 63 gr of Re26. Can push harder up over 3100 but theres no need.

The Re26 goes good in my 24" 65 creed too, 143gr eldx at 2850 fps very accurately from 48gr. But this barrel was slow initially too.
    Yep that's why I switched from the prc to saum. Way better knock down too.
    Let the grilling begin hahaha 😆

Superformance is the go for the 6.5prc IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    Yep that's why I switched from the prc to saum. Way better knock down too.
    Let the grilling begin hahaha ��

Superformance is the go for the 6.5prc IMO
    Haters gonna hate ha ha. Same can be said about the 7mm rem mag, you can get close with a 280ai or 284, maybe you can go higher, maybe you use slightly less powder, but at the end of the day they all do the same job and they do it well.

I'm excited to hook into a new caliber and I'll certainly share mu results, with factory for starters and some handloads later down the line.
    veitnamcam, hotsoup, Gkp and 1 others like this.

I started another load for my 18" 6.5PRC. 147gr eld-M. The 143 eld-X are too hard to get now.

I tried two powders to start ( 2225 and RL26) and two primers with the 2225.
    Looks like it'll shoot this bullet in good 100m groups with even a large powder variation.

Name:  Notes charge ladders.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  452.7 KB

Name:  2225 & RL26 pressure ladder1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  177.4 KB

I made a mistake trying something new. I used the 6.5 mandrel for the neck turner to size/true the new lapua case necks. This wasn't enough neck tension or consistent after chamfering and deburring (which i had some issues with and would have varied tension) the case mouth. I could feel a large difference when seating the bullets. This caused the poor velocity numbers. I was really only looking to find max charge/pressure not a velocity trend so it didn't matter really
    I used the F/L sizer only on the 1x fired cases after this and the expander button as a mandrel on the rest of the new brass. There was more consistent bullet seating and higher velocity also.

Some follow up loads with 1x fired and some new brass.

Name:  load test 189m.jpg
Size:  155.4 KB
    Name:  rl26 57gr 147eldm 100m.jpg
Size:  63.6 KB

I had issues this day getting the Magneto speed bayonet fitted tight/properly which cost me a few readings and a poor group for the 2225 57.5gr load.
    The 57gr RL26 load was too much pressure for my liking even though it grouped well.
    jakewire and veitnamcam like this.

What max vol are you hoping to get with your top load of RL26.
    I just ran a ladder test for pressure through my Creedmoor with the 140 targex and Hodgdon superprofrmance i got 2818fps at top top charge with no pressure although i wouldn't want to go any higher

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Roarless20 likes this.

@Roarless20, that's interesting. I'm using ADG brass with 147gr ELD-M's and Federal 210's. You've seen an onset of pressure signs with the same two powders I've used, at charges that were absolutely fine in mine (I even shot a competition with 57.5gr of Re26).

I'm picking the Lapua brass maybe has a fair bit less capacity? Have you measured case capacity by chance?

Good example of why to not get your load data from forums or skip doing the workup.
    Moa Hunter and Roarless20 like this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

I took my brother-in-law from Aus out with me to shoot my follow up load tests a couple of days ago. We shot some test loads on paper with the 6.5prc and the .223 then out to 470m with the .223 before shooting 700m with the 6.5. A couple of young cats were shot right close to us while we were shooting the paper which was a bonus

i loaded up some of the 56gr RL26 fed210 147 eld-m load which i'll use to fire form the new brass. Also finished shooting a 2225 57.5gr load i didn't get time to shoot previously.

Name:  Final loads.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  189.9 KB

Name:  Load tests.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  423.5 KB

Much better velocity consistency and accuracy after correctly sizing the new brass necks this time. I'm happy with the RL26 56gr load accuracy with the magneto speed not attached. I wont bother doing a seating depth test with this load.

My Bro-i-law (a non-shooter but a natural) shot three of the 147gr rl26 56gr load at the gong at 702m after i had it on target (tricky tail wind over hill country) with the last of my old 143gr eldx loads.

Name:  700mgong.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  199.5 KB

The actual group size would measure less if you allow for the 0.1mil up click i dialed after his first two low hits (approx 0.3moa). I had my camera on the target so know exactly which hits on the gong are which.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    What max vol are you hoping to get with your top load of RL26.
    I just ran a ladder test for pressure through my Creedmoor with the 140 targex and Hodgdon superprofrmance i got 2818fps at top top charge with no pressure although i wouldn't want to go any higher

i was hoping for 2800-2850fps. i did get to 2800 with 56gr rl26. I'll check out 56.5gr when I get some more 1x fired brass to finalise the load to get to 2850fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    @Roarless20, that's interesting. I'm using ADG brass with 147gr ELD-M's and Federal 210's. You've seen an onset of pressure signs with the same two powders I've used, at charges that were absolutely fine in mine (I even shot a competition with 57.5gr of Re26).

I'm picking the Lapua brass maybe has a fair bit less capacity? Have you measured case capacity by chance?

Good example of why to not get your load data from forums or skip doing the workup.
    I haven't measured the case capacity but I might when I get the time. I have a couple 2x fired lapua and 7x fired hornady to compare.

I'm running a suppressor which could be causing the earlier pressure? or I have a tighter chamber/barrel? I could shoot 57gr but don't want to trash the brass early as it is bloody expensive and hard to get.
    Its a lightweight 18" barreled hunting rifle so don't really need the fraction more velocity of the hotter load. Even 2800 fps is more than i really need.

Quote Originally Posted by Roarless20 View Post
    I haven't measured the case capacity but I might when I get the time. I have a couple 2x fired lapua and 7x fired hornady to compare.

I'm running a suppressor which could be causing the earlier pressure? or I have a tighter chamber/barrel? I could shoot 57gr but don't want to trash the brass early as it is bloody expensive and hard to get.
    Its a lightweight 18" barreled hunting rifle so don't really need the fraction more velocity of the hotter load. Even 2800 fps is more than i really need.
    I would be disappointed with 2800 from 147-143 as i get 2811fps from a 18" .260.
    See people's results is the main reason i haven't made the move and i use 10 grns less powder.

Mines pretty slow. 22" 2850 with 156 berger and 2217. Mt creedmore with 147eldm and 26" barrel is ballistically identical

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    I would be disappointed with 2800 from 147-143 as i get 2811fps from a 18" .260.
    See people's results is the main reason i haven't made the move and i use 10 grns less powder.

How many reloads you getting out of that brass? What bullet weight in the .260? Caus that is fast as for 18" .260