Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: 6.5x55 accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Adams View Post
    The Hornadies wouldn't consistently hit a cardboard box
    You need to know roughly what the group size is in cm at 100m and that the Hornady is properly zeroed so it has a chance. How big was the cardboard box ?

Also when investigating accuracy problems its good to shoot another known accurate rifle on the same day to prove its the rifle / ammo not you. A 22 at 25m is fine for this.

What gear are you using ? Bipod or sandbag or special adjustable target rest ? Leather rear sand bag or just your hand on the ground ? That can make the difference between 60mm and 30mm at 100m.

How many shots per group ? If its only 3 then the size can vary heaps; 50mm one time and 100mm the next.

Its quite hard to say one rifle or ammo is truly more accurate than another unless you’re systematic and shoot off a good number of rounds eg 2x5 shot groups of each on paper.

Hi Peter
    I have 4 swedes, from an 1899 M96 to a 1942 M38 all in original military configuration. They are very accurate rifles that group in 1-1.5” @100m with hand loads and not much worse with factory. Norma factory ammo is worth a look but I handload for my Swedes. I have been using Norma 204 powder but am changing as I find it very dirty burning. Going to 2209, I would be going to RL17 but it’s too hard to get still and am saving that for my 300WSM. Any powder in that range is what you need. I’ve used Sierra Matchking which are good as are Hornady ELDM’s. I use ELDX for hunting. I have a mate who also uses 2209 in his Swede also in his CG63 target rifle.
    PM me if you’d like.
    Cheers
    Craig

I have nothing to add to this thread other than to say .
    “ Jeez I love my 6.5 x 55 Tikka “
    It just works for me and does everything I need without fuss or bother .
    I also have a 6.5 CM , so I feel qualified to say “ Those Swede’s were years ahead of the game “

BFA likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA