Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 8mm Mauser reloading cost

8mm Mauser reloading cost

Hi
    I like the Mauser K98 very much, and I just like the rifle, that `s it. Last month, I see that k98 again on market which I did `t buy in 2019. 8mm ammo is hard to get in NZ, and expensive, those surplus ammo which made in 1940s, well....thus, I like to ask you guys how much it may cost for reloading of 1k rounds? Thank you!
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Around $1.50 to $2 or more depending on what component's you use / can get, more if you need cases, that assumes you have dies and a press already if not add another $200 to $500 as a one off cost,
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Around $1.50 to $2 or more depending on what component's you use / can get, more if you need cases, that assumes you have dies and a press already if not add another $200 to $500 as a one off cost,
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    Thank you
    I would suggest double the per round cost, primers have gone up, powder have gone up, projectiles have gone up and brass has gone up.
    If your not loading yourself you can bank on $6-$8 per round plus components pretty sure that's the going rate charged by some "professional load developers"
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I would suggest double the per round cost, primers have gone up, powder have gone up, projectiles have gone up and brass has gone up.
    If your not loading yourself you can bank on $6-$8 per round plus components pretty sure that's the going rate charged by some "professional load developers"
    All right keep looking for factory sources from small towns in Europe. Thanks

500 grams of powder is around 7716.18 grains. If you have a load-data (XX+ grains) in mind, do the powder math x 1000 = weight of powder required. Add the cost of 1000 large rifle primers, 1000 brass cases and 1000 favourite type of bullet and you will be close enough to give you an initial indication of the cost.

8mm mauser has a limited variety of projectiles which either drives the cost up for the service rifle type of projectile or make it more palatable if you are only after the flat-based SP projectile.

Get a 308 K98 Mauser variant and you will have different type of 308 projectiles to choose from.
    shooternz and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    500 grams of powder is around 7716.18 grains. If you have a load-data (XX+ grains) in mind, do the powder math x 1000 = weight of powder required. Add the cost of 1000 large rifle primers, 1000 brass cases and 1000 favourite type of bullet and you will be close enough to give you an initial indication of the cost.

8mm mauser has a limited variety of projectiles which either drives the cost up for the service rifle type of projectile or make it more palatable if you are only after the flat-based SP projectile.

Get a 308 K98 Mauser variant and you will have different type of 308 projectiles to choose from.
    Thank you. I simply like those old firearms, k98 is on the top, as well for Aarisaka, spring field, C96...etc. I just plan it ahead for next year.

8mm mauser has a limited variety of projectiles

funny that i have 150gr spitzers 170gr round nose 180gr ballistic tips and 195gr interlocks..... pretty sure reloaders has 200gr(or thereabouts) projectiles
    i found the factory ammo available was limited to 139gr or 198gr ish the whole point behind reloading which is probably no different to alot of other calibres.
    the only replenishing i will need to do in my lifetime will be powder
    Brian likes this.

I bought some geco 184gr softpoints before xmas for 43 (I think) bucks a packet.
    From the performance on one deer i think they definitely fall in the almost a bit soft category.
    For a heavy bullet I dont reckon it will go lengthwise on an animal
    It does say on the brand's website graph that penetration isnt as good as their 196 grain
    Black Rabbit likes this.

My first centrefire back in 1980 was a K98 8x57. The only ammo I could get for it at that time was Norma 220 gr, and they were expensive! But nothing walked away from them!
    Black Rabbit likes this.

Black Rabbit likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    My first centrefire back in 1980 was a K98 8x57. The only ammo I could get for it at that time was Norma 220 gr, and they were expensive! But nothing walked away from them!
    Still have it, your Mauser k98? I find PPU ammo is cheapest on the market, selling about $26 USD for 20 rounds, but in NZ the price is $ 42.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    funny that i have 150gr spitzers 170gr round nose 180gr ballistic tips and 195gr interlocks..... pretty sure reloaders has 200gr(or thereabouts) projectiles
    i found the factory ammo available was limited to 139gr or 198gr ish the whole point behind reloading which is probably no different to alot of other calibres.
    the only replenishing i will need to do in my lifetime will be powder
    Check the reloaders website again then. It has listings of 4 manufacturers making 11 types of .323 projectiles as compared to 6 manufacturers making 83 types of .30 cal projectiles.

Check the reloaders website again then. It has listings of 4 manufacturers making 11 types of .323 projectiles as compared to 6 manufacturers making 83 types of .30 cal projectiles.

So a choice of 44 for essentially 2 cal used in 8mm (x57 and 06) and with 84 variants of 30 cal some of which are .311 or .312 and some are only suitable for the big .30s
    Comparatively speaking not too bad...I don't disagree that there is more to choose from in 308 but it's not as black and white as you suggest

the 8mm's seem to be less desirable among todays shooters, which in my opinion means that 8mm projectiles hang around on the shelves a little longer. Now that I shoot an 8x60, I have been able to have a free choice of bullets, even with the current shortages.
    Black Rabbit likes this.