Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Jhon
  • 1 Post By svt40

Thread: Anyone looking for reduced load suitable powder?

Anyone looking for reduced load suitable powder?

Not mine but I use it and similar..several rifle/Pistol applications

Hi-Skor 700X https://www.trademe.co.nz/3860499071
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Curious why they wont produce Trailboss in any great quantity or 2205.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Too busy making stuff that the Military use.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post

ADI made it publicly known over a year ago that some powders will not be produced due to different production runs. (Mostly pistol powders)

One forum I read a member says the equipment required for "certain powders" was unreliable and replacement was costly. It affected the drying of certain powders.

Whatever ADI want us to know is on the website so you should be able to find a press release or something.

Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Not mine but I use it and similar..several rifle/Pistol applications

Hi-Skor 700X https://www.trademe.co.nz/3860499071
    Care to share any recipes for reduced rifle loads? - with due disclaimers of course? Ive got a pile of the stuff, use it in 38spl, 40S&W, 45acp, 44mag etc and with it working suprisingly well in the last thought it would be a good candidate fore reduced rifle loads too

Quote Originally Posted by svt40 View Post
    Care to share any recipes for reduced rifle loads? - with due disclaimers of course? Ive got a pile of the stuff, use it in 38spl, 40S&W, 45acp, 44mag etc and with it working suprisingly well in the last thought it would be a good candidate fore reduced rifle loads too
    In general with similar powders, Blue Dot, Red Dot, AP70N, ICI Nobel Shotgun Powder No78, AS30 etc, I start with 10gn in a 30 Cal with a cast bullet in the 150gn to 220gn range. I use in 30-30 (158gn), 303B (200+gn), 308 (158gn), and 7x57mm (150gn). With 10gn powder I'm looking for around 1200fps. At 12-13gn powder I feel I'm approaching Max load territory and getting velocity in 1600-1800fps range. I've had heavy bolt lift in 303B above that. I'm only using Cast Gas checked bullets either lubed or powder coated. I have found good accuracy in the range of 1400fps to 1600fps. Irrespective of calibre I've found groups become chaotic above 1600fps..my max range target is 120m with max 4in group. Anything I hunt can be got at that distance and level of accuracy. I've tried going down as low as 7.5gn for subsonic but worry about bullets stuck in bore. I never got good groups at sub velocities and given how quiet a suppressd reduced load is at 1400fps i don't really see the point of going sub. A decent chunk of cast doing 1400fps at 50-80m is pretty decisive on any NZ game.

I don't use fillers, at all. I use standard LR Primers. I use a moderate to full (30-30Lever) crimp.

Others here will probably have more experience than me.

I have to say I got into it with the Nobel 78. The only info I could find was for Red Dot Ed Harris's "The Load" of 13gn

https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...The%20Load.htm

I found out from an old NZ Shotgun components supplier that Nobel 78 is very close, slightly faster, than AS30 which ADI post as equivalent to Red Dot. However I fired my first few 303B loads by pulling a piece of string lol.

Biggest caution is don't double charge! If done, would be very easy to miss with just an eyeball check. Not a happy ending to be had. So scrupulous loading practice recommended.
    rupert and Micky Duck like this.

In general with similar powders, Blue Dot, Red Dot, AP70N, ICI Nobel Shotgun Powder No78, AS30 etc, I start with 10gn in a 30 Cal with a cast bullet in the 150gn to 220gn range. I use in 30-30 (158gn), 303B (200+gn), 308 (158gn), and 7x57mm (150gn). With 10gn powder I'm looking for around 1200fps. At 12-13gn powder I feel I'm approaching Max load territory and getting velocity in 1600-1800fps range. I've had heavy bolt lift in 303B above that. I'm only using Cast Gas checked bullets either lubed or powder coated. I have found good accuracy in the range of 1400fps to 1600fps. Irrespective of calibre I've found groups become chaotic above 1600fps..my max range target is 120m with max 4in group. Anything I hunt can be got at that distance and level of accuracy. I've tried going down as low as 7.5gn for subsonic but worry about bullets stuck in bore. I never got good groups at sub velocities and given how quiet a suppressd reduced load is at 1400fps i don't really see the point of going sub. A decent chunk of cast doing 1400fps at 50-80m is pretty decisive on any NZ game.

I don't use fillers, at all. I use standard LR Primers. I use a moderate to full (30-30Lever) crimp.

I have to say I got into it with the Nobel 78. The only info I could find was for Red Dot Ed Harris's "The Load" of 13gn

I found out from an old NZ Shotgun components supplier that Nobel 78 is very close, slightly faster, than AS30 which ADI post as equivalent to Red Dot. However I fired my first few 303B loads by pulling a piece of string lol.

Biggest caution is don't double charge! If done, would be very easy to miss with just an eyeball check. Not a happy ending to be had. So scrupulous loading practice recommended.
    The 10-12 grains of unique is a universal load with cast bullets. Be careful/wary of using faster powders like red dot with reduced loads. Ap70 is similar to unique so should be ok. However I understand ADI are not making that either

QUOTE "Be careful/wary of using faster powders like red dot with reduced loads."

Check out the Ed Harris link I posted above. Red Dot is the Poster Child powder for reduced 30 cal loads.

Thanks Jhon. Yes, the idea of using 30-40+ grains of rifle powder just to hit a target at 100m with a 4" accuracy goal seems rather wasteful at the moment. The .223 is cheap enough to feed, but the bigger cases arnt, and I dont need a whole lot of velocity to hit 100m ok. Since ive got plenty of 700X and it seems happy to operate in a 1/4 full 38spl or 44mag case it seems the go to for playing at the range with the .303, mosins and other old rifles that enjoy seeing the light of day. Ive also got frontier copper plated 150gr .308 projectiles to try. Will save the increasingly expensive powders and projectiles for where they make a difference.
    Jhon likes this.