Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Cartridge advice 2.0 - the 7mm version

Cartridge advice 2.0 - the 7mm version

Hey peeps a I posted a thread a while back asking for some cartridge advice (https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....estions-77490/). Got a lot of great responses and food for thought. After spending some time with a ballistic calculator I settled on the moderate-high powered 7mm's, 7mm WSM, 280 AI, 7mm Rem Mag. I prefer the WSM and AI to the Mag, as they burn a bit less powder for similar results. I prefer the aesthetics of the WSM case to the AI, I think those short fat rounds just look hilarious. But I also don't think any of these reasons are sufficient to pick one cartridge over another. I had also considered a 7mm 300 WSM, for better brass availability but I think that would mean a custom rifle build which I'm not ready for yet. Also I'm not sure how advanced down sizing brass necks is on ones reloading journey. Not interested in the 7mm RUM.

After looking at factory ammunition availability and options I've come to the conclusion I'll probably have to start reloading eventually. So...is one of these cartridges going to be better for a novice hand loader? Is there going to be better availability of brass for one of these? I get the feeling poking around the internet that the WSM is on the way out, so long term brass availability could be a problem? There does seem to be broader factory rifle availability in the Mag. Does a belted cartridge introduce any complications? Is there some subtly that I've missed by only looking at the ballistics? I do appreciate the long action/short action difference, likewise magazine capacity.

Whole lot of questions I know, so thanks for any time/thoughts you can share.

P.S. my approach on the ballistics was to beat the 6.5 CR by at least 20% on range the projectile drops below 1800fps, 20% less drop at 500m and have 20% less wind deflection at 500m. So I am aiming to push a 139gr Mono at ~3100fps, according to the Barnes load data this is achievable with all the cartridges I've mentioned. I'll probably also develop a load for distant steel using something heavier with a lead core.

7wsm is hard to find brass for, unless things have changed markedly. Everyone has 7mm mag brass and is real easy to load for, heaps of factory ammo. 280ai has some brass available, but it can be made if you need to.
    I had a 7mm mag for about 10years, loved it. It was a hammer with 162 grain projectiles. I’ve still got a 7mm but now a 7x65R.
    veitnamcam, mikee, dannyb and 1 others like this.

Can't help you with some of your questions,
    I would hardly suggest that the wsm "is on the way out" the 7mm 300wsm was never huge and wouldn't be my first choice anyway.
    The WSM case in itself is certainly not going anywhere, if you did you go down the wsm route I would suggest a standard 300wsm as it is far more popular and factory ammo whilst expensive is available.
    Brass in standard wsm cartridges (270wsm/300wsm) is definitely going to be available for the foreseeable future.
    Whatever you choose I would be cautious about any cartridge in 7mm/284 in the current climate as pretty much anything 7mm is almost impossible to obtain.
    I suppose things in the supply chain will settle down eventually.
    Of all the calibers suggested probably the most mainstream would be 7mm rem mag and probably the easiest to get factory ammo, and having owned one they just work and there are some pretty sweet semi custom rigs able to be bought off the shelf in this chambering without the need for a full on custom build.
    As far as reloading well that's a whole other rabbit hole, but for a learner I would suggest that buying/building something that you can buy factory formed brass for would the best option.
    Anyway it's all up to you in the end and variety is the spice of life.
    veitnamcam and mikee like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Can't help you with some of your questions,
    I would hardly suggest that the wsm "is on the way out" the 7mm 300wsm was never huge and wouldn't be my first choice anyway.
    The WSM case in itself is certainly not going anywhere, if you did you go down the wsm route I would suggest a standard 300wsm as it is far more popular and factory ammo whilst expensive is available.
    Brass in standard wsm cartridges (270wsm/300wsm) is definitely going to be available for the foreseeable future.
    Sorry I should have been more specific, I meant the 7mm WSM seems less available in terms of factory rifles, factory ammunition and brass, but maybe that is the supply chain right now. That was why I was half considering the 7mm 300 WSM, allows me to use the more available 300 WSM brass.

Quote Originally Posted by tnankie View Post
    Sorry I should have been more specific, I meant the 7mm WSM seems less available in terms of factory rifles, factory ammunition and brass, but maybe that is the supply chain right now. That was why I was half considering the 7mm 300 WSM, allows me to use the more available 300 WSM brass.
    Why not just use a 300wsm and have way more options for pill choice ?
    300CALMAN and Gkp like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Gkp
    What do you intend on hunting and what is your practical hunting/shooting range?

Banned
    I would bide my time and buy a 7 saum second hand when one comes up. I have not owned one, but looking at the same sort of options as yourself for a while, the Saum is the best pick for performance / recoil / accuracy and ability to build and use on a light platform in all situations.
    GWH, keengunNic, rossi.45 and 4 others like this.

Gkp
    I have hunted/reloaded the:
    7wsm
    7 rem mag
    7saum - current

I think first it's worth considering action length which effects rifle weight for hunting. In a Tikka it doesn't mater as they all the same length actions

If you are not going to reload and not concerned about a long action rifle then the 7 rem Mag is the winner- plenty of options in factory ammo
    IMO.... reloading is more expensive due to all the tooling. Also takes up room and time.

The 7wsm was a great accurate cartridge. One thing I had problems with was bumping back the shoulder could take several goes. The Winchester brass I was using could of been the problem. Annealing may of helped.

The 7mm saum I am impressed with as it will do everything the 7wsm and 7rm will do but in a smaller package. So less recoil and less powder burnt, also good quality brass available. Will fit a short action but no advantage to me as shooting a Tikka.
    So this is my pick if you are going to reload.

One last consideration is the 708.
    Plenty of availability and will happily knock a red over out at 500 yards.

Don't get hung up on the ballistic calculators. Any of the above cartridges will do the same job with a laser range finder and a dial up scope

Just to confuse the matter... 300 wsm and 6.5 prc are another good option with factory ammo available

Caretaker
    7mm rem mag
    GWH and caberslash like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    What do you intend on hunting and what is your practical hunting/shooting range?
    Sambar in Victoria, needs to be at least .270 130gr legally. So the 6.5 PRC is out.
    Secondary target is goats at 500-700m which again is out of the creedmoors reach with monos. (Paddock shooting, no cover to get closer but has good backstops. This is where the ballistic advantages of the 7mm monos over the 300 monos comes in, particularly with wind drift, unless I go a 300 PRC which I then have to lug that monster through the bush for Sambar.)
    7-08 is out as its just not different enough to my 6.5 Cr for me to justify it...I suppose I could sell the Creed.

I'll have a look into the SAUM, thanks.

Yes I get it I should probably get a 9.3x Xmm for sambar/bush and then something .300 maglike for long range targets + goats....but I'm trying to do it with one gun.
    CBH Australia likes this.

Dunno about in Australia but a very quick internet search shows at least four or five retailers in NZ with 7wsm brass and/or factory ammunition in stock so I don’t know where the whole “it’s difficult to find brass” thing comes from, get yourself 50 brass or a couple boxes of factory ammunition and you’re set for a heap of shooting and have the factory cases to reload after if you went that way.
    7mmwsm likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

The 7mm SAUM is used by target shooters in Australia.
    The gunsmith who built my .280ai suggested it as an option.
    .284 and
    284ai are also used by target shooters. The cartridges are supported here you may need to ship around.
    I think the 7mm SAUM uses the larger boltface but otherwise no problem.
    You might find factory ammo in some places. Once you are handloading you will be fine.
    7mm SAUM is somewhat standard. Others like .284 Shehane, 7mmSAW may require custom dies.

7mmSAUM might give you a short fat case you like and still be available. I was just sold on .280a.i. and didn't consider others but you have a different perspective and the SAUM might conform to that.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Seems like a troll thread IMO

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Seems like a troll thread IMO
    Why is that?

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    7mm rem mag
    By far the easiest and most sensible option all-round, buy a 7mm Rem Mag, I have a fair few rifles in various chamberings, big and small. I love my 7mm SAUM, but you cannot buy factory rifles chambered for it anymore and you cannot buy factory ammo for it either, handloading is a must.

Just buy a 7 RM and be done with it.
    Gkp likes this.