Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Cartridge advice 2.0 - the 7mm version

Quote Originally Posted by tnankie View Post
    Hey peeps a I posted a thread a while back asking for some cartridge advice (https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....estions-77490/). Got a lot of great responses and food for thought. After spending some time with a ballistic calculator I settled on the moderate-high powered 7mm's, 7mm WSM, 280 AI, 7mm Rem Mag. I prefer the WSM and AI to the Mag, as they burn a bit less powder for similar results. I prefer the aesthetics of the WSM case to the AI, I think those short fat rounds just look hilarious. But I also don't think any of these reasons are sufficient to pick one cartridge over another. I had also considered a 7mm 300 WSM, for better brass availability but I think that would mean a custom rifle build which I'm not ready for yet. Also I'm not sure how advanced down sizing brass necks is on ones reloading journey. Not interested in the 7mm RUM.

After looking at factory ammunition availability and options I've come to the conclusion I'll probably have to start reloading eventually. So...is one of these cartridges going to be better for a novice hand loader? Is there going to be better availability of brass for one of these? I get the feeling poking around the internet that the WSM is on the way out, so long term brass availability could be a problem? There does seem to be broader factory rifle availability in the Mag. Does a belted cartridge introduce any complications? Is there some subtly that I've missed by only looking at the ballistics? I do appreciate the long action/short action difference, likewise magazine capacity.

Whole lot of questions I know, so thanks for any time/thoughts you can share.

P.S. my approach on the ballistics was to beat the 6.5 CR by at least 20% on range the projectile drops below 1800fps, 20% less drop at 500m and have 20% less wind deflection at 500m. So I am aiming to push a 139gr Mono at ~3100fps, according to the Barnes load data this is achievable with all the cartridges I've mentioned. I'll probably also develop a load for distant steel using something heavier with a lead core.

Honestly sounds like you been reading on the internet.

Forget barns bullets if you want to beat the wind (forget drop if your dialing it dosnt matter) they have the bc of a brick

A sleek high bc bullet at medium speed will smoke a fast light bullet everytime.

7rm will do everything with 162eldm or x and is easy to shoot i had one with 20" barrel and dpt can was great all rounder.
    veitnamcam, GWH, ZQLewis and 1 others like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Is anyone here reasonably able to get the O.P behind one of these rifles?

I think he is considering some of the carriages above as being lower recoil alternatives to the 7mmRM.

Myself I have a .280ai and .300wm , both Tikkas but the .280ai is maybe up to 1kg lighter than the .300wm as it's all lightweight configuration as compared to the .300wm Laminated Stock with a Heavier scope , heavier mounts.

Honestly of he can get behind something it will give him actual experience with a given combination. Over the bench perceived recoil seems way more than a shot fired hunting.

The only 7mmRM I ever used was fitted with a supressor (South Africa)

A supressor won't be an option for him in Australia.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I have a love/hate relationship with my 7mmWSM.

New brass is too expensive for me, but I've scraped together enough once-fired to get going with. You can neck up from 270WSM or down from 300WSM but you have to fire-form it due to the different shoulder length.

Love the short action, but the steep shoulder makes chambering a bit fussy which kinda defeats the purpose.

7mm is great for high BC pills, but the mag length makes it impossible to seat these out to the lands. I run two loads, a soft point in the mag and ballistic tip for single-feeding at longer ranges.

7RM is probably a better choice, but everyone has one

With the current supply issues I'd have a look around and see what brass, dies (or ammo) and rifles you can actually get for each. Then just pick the one you can get cause they'll all do the same thing as far as deer are concerned.

If you're definitely going to use monos then take a look at some of the 30 cals. The .300wsm in factory form is pretty close to some on your list.
    dannyb likes this.

Finding factory loaded monos would probably be the hardest part? I imagine the US would have plenty but maybe not so much nz and aus . That’s a guess though not an educated one either

@tnankie

Why are you selecting Barnes for this kind of shooting? Even with the LRX you will find that the mono metal swaged bullet will deliver limited expansion at 500-700m on light framed, thin skinned animals like goats, fallow, especially if you get a double lung shot behind the shoulder which is a distinct possibility (these bullets have shit BC and are a bastard in the wind).

Barnes are better on the heavy framed / thick skinned sambar but you are still looking for trouble at proper long range due to the BC and the rate at which these bullets shed velocity and therefore energy.

Reading your first post again you seem set on longer range hunting, to that end there are numerous much better jacketed lead core bullets that will kill much, much better.
    veitnamcam, 7mmwsm and GWH like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Tnankie,
    Given your in Australia and chasing Sambar or Fallow are your main deer species you want a .30 cal to cover both.

A 7mm mag is ok but a .30-06 or .30 mag is what you want.

Unless I’m wrong your just starting out so keep it simple and learn a bit as you go. Unless you’re more experienced than your posts read grab a 06 or factory 30 mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GWH likes this.