Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Cartridge suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Vinegar indeed.
    Download a sense of humour buddy. Try reading that line again, look for any glaring irony.

Also, .270 is for pussies.
    Easy at the keyboard, ain't it? Have you ever owned, shot or even seen a .270 anything? My sense of humour is fine,BUDDY. Just wondering how you formed your idiot opinion about people who choose who choose to use one of the most lauded calibers, ever. You can call me a pussy from your keyboard, or even a homo , if you like. Doesn't leave any more scars on me. I wonder if you'd say it to my face? Nah, probably not. You enjoy the 7mm08 tickling your balls, mate - I won't comment on that.
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

Quote Originally Posted by tnankie View Post
    Thanks everyone for your perspectives. Appreciate it.
    Will be spending a bit more time with a ballistic calculator.
    Maybe this will be the thing that tips me into hand loading...and as a few of you mentioned it would really simplify things if we could use suppressors in Oz.
    No Suppressors in Australia, and definitely none for our state..
    As far as copper projectiles go I have read a lot of great stuff on Hammer projectiles . A guy in Tassie can supply them But we also have Outer Edge and Woodleight in Australia.

On paper the 270, 7mmRM etc all look great. Its just that i have a very good mate that has done exactly what you are about to do. Thing is he constantly found issues losing animals with the medium to large cals. He
    currently uses a 9.3x62 and seems happy with that. That's his experience anyway, he bought/sold his 308, 3006 finding them underpowered for the job. I don't think he tried the 7mmRM which i would have insisted (that's my pick personally)
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Isn't that the 280 Rem. 3006 or the parent 3003 necked to 7mm.
    Z

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by T.FOYE View Post
    On paper the 270, 7mmRM etc all look great. Its just that i have a very good mate that has done exactly what you are about to do. Thing is he constantly found issues losing animals with the medium to large cals. He
    currently uses a 9.3x62 and seems happy with that. That's his experience anyway, he bought/sold his 308, 3006 finding them underpowered for the job. I don't think he tried the 7mmRM which i would have insisted (that's my pick personally)
    I'm not the only one on here that's killed Tahr and deer at 400yds with one shot and done, using .243. Your "mate" needs to learn animal anatomy and to shoot.
    bumblefoot, Phil_H and mimms2 like this.

The answer is dual loads I'm afraid.
    Run your coppers for majority of your hunting and a frangible cup and core for the odd long shot and accept some loss of meat for a clean kill.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

TLB
    My personal opinion, magnums without a suppressor are not the most pleasant things to shoot. Some don't mind but unless the rifle is heavy or you have a brake then the boot factor will be real.
    I've never shot a sambar so I can't comment on what caliber really but I'd probably be more inclined to go for a 3006, 280ai or 270.