Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Case Lube Alternatives?

White needle oil on an ink stamping pad, roll cases over it and away you go.

I use a mix of alcohol and lanolin, just have it in a spray bottle, no issue with sticking, wipes off easily and even easier if sprayed with meths/alcohol after, similar to the process andyanimal outlined above

Another vote for isopropyl alcohol and lanolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedz50 View Post
    I had to read the above post twice to make it sink in. Why use Imperial sizing wax when a cheaper or better or locally made or more readily available product is there to use? It is part of the Kiwi psyche to always want to do things better and cheaper,called the No 8 mentality. i have never bought sizing lube and have always looked around for whatever is handy,which has worked well in most cases although I will admit to a couple of mishaps. Carbide dies are a savior in straight cases and I buy them as a preference where appropriate.
    My mate who is a farmer looks out of his kitchen window to his shearing shed and gets his sizing wax off a white thing.Some high tech stuff called nano-lanolin. His father and grandfather did the same thing and his forbears broke in a lot of back country to make their farm.His grandfather used to use a .22 to shoot deer which his father upgraded to a 303. He is pretty miserly when shooting anything.
    shooternz likes this.

vasoline works fine,used it for years,even the $2 shop stuff works fine.
    Happy Jack likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Thanks for the suggestions. Main reason I asked is its a 5 min trip to mitre10 and a 30min trip to nearest shooting supply shop, so if something from m10 does the job then great. Cheers!

Lanolin spray is quiet good, don't get the crc stuff with fishoil, it stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    My mate who is a farmer looks out of his kitchen window to his shearing shed and gets his sizing wax off a white thing.Some high tech stuff called nano-lanolin. His father and grandfather did the same thing and his forbears broke in a lot of back country to make their farm.His grandfather used to use a .22 to shoot deer which his father upgraded to a 303. He is pretty miserly when shooting anything.
    Yep buy the kids a pet lamb and you solve a ew problems at once, happy kids and free cace lube and roast motion when the kids get bored with the sheep just keep the hide
    the Lanolin lasts a long time.

Yep many swear by lanolin based lubes. ( lol. Can I post a kiwi joke now?)

Anyway, on a more serious note. I used 90w diff oil for years. Lately I've been using coconut oil. And my hands just love it. Seems to work just fine. I think almost any oil would work TBH.
    Loading both 233 and 30.06.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y

I use the Dillon spray lube which is basically alcohol and lanolin. Because I reload in bulk what I do is put the brass in a plastic bin, put some nitrile gloves on my hands, spray the lube on the brass and then massage it all around making sure all the brass is coated. Then let the alcohol flash off and evaporate and you should be good to go.

I've started using the hornady sizing wax and it's pretty good. It's not as idiot proof as imperial though (I feel).
    With imperial you can put a few lubed cases through and then a dryish one, it's noticeably different but not world ending. With hornady wax (or the spray) you do this and the die instantly says HELL NO.

Not that I recommend anyone try this. I just noticed you get more leniency with imperial wax.

ADI 2016 guide, edition.

Name:  Resized_tempFileForShare_20221103-121115_156492412530250.jpeg
Views: 97
Size:  269.1 KB
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y